Pre-Season

Whatever happens next with Jake will reflect on Kevvie. He might do a Dearden, or he might end up in reserves, never to be seen again. Neither of which will be a good look for us. The only thing that will look good for Kevvie is if he plays exactly as he played for us.
I have mutual friends with Turpin and was told not too long ago how little he thinks of Kevvie, and the KW instructions was he wanted Turpin to be nothing more than a tackle-bot.

I have mutual friends with Turpin and was told not too long ago how little he thinks of Kevvie, and the KW instructions was he wanted Turpin to be nothing more than a tackle-bot.
We will soon know if that's true. The Roosters will expect more from a hooker than what we've been getting.

Well at least we know Kev can identify a players strengths lol
He was more like a halfback when he started out under Seibold then somehow it all became about tackling. I assumed he picked up his bad habits - that one step and pass crap etc - from Macca, but maybe it's also the Walters way. Kevvie would've assistant coached Macca back in the day.

We will soon know if that's true. The Roosters will expect more from a hooker than what we've been getting.

He was more like a halfback when he started out under Seibold then somehow it all became about tackling. I assumed he picked up his bad habits - that one step and pass crap etc - from Macca, but maybe it's also the Walters way. Kevvie would've assistant coached Macca back in the day.
I'm not convinced myself that Turpin can be anything more than that to a decent level. But it's not good that a coach only wants that at NRL level.

Macca probably had his most creative year in attack in 2015 though. That's the last time I can really remember him being involved in set plays with the halves.

Turpin definitely had a bit more to offer before Kevvie took over in attack for sure. Clear case of being coached out of him.

Macca probably had his most creative year in attack in 2015 though. That's the last time I can really remember him being involved in set plays with the halves.

Turpin definitely had a bit more to offer before Kevvie took over in attack for sure. Clear case of being coached out of him.
Careful about saying that around here. My god was I howled down earlier in the year for suggesting that.

I'm not convinced myself that Turpin can be anything more than that to a decent level. But it's not good that a coach only wants that at NRL level.
Back at the start of the season, Kevvie make a big deal out of saying he wanted the team to concentrate on defence and he wasn't worried about attack. He reiterated that a few times during the year. Thing is, our attack had been really dire and directionless with the halves practically bumping it each other. It did improve with Reynold's direction but by the end of 2022 we were back to not knowing what to do on the fifth ten yards out. And a lot of that had to do with the dummy half.

Obviously, with the numbers that got racked up on us our defence was still a problem at the end of the season, but we weren't scoring either and we didn't look at all cohesive.

I would like to point to a set of players who progressed under Kevvie but they all seemed to go backwards.

McCullough stepped up in 2015, but it largely came down to the selection of Nikorima off the bench that allowed him to pace himself better. It wasn't a once off either, his best year was 2017 before Blair obliterated his knee.

Turpin was always inconsistent even for the Phins. Towards the end of his tenure here, he would have been informed to tackle his heart out but there were no excuses before then. Just Jake being Jake, struggling with the demands of playing NRL especially in a struggling/developing team.

People probably forget that Macca was another makeshift hooker. The usual progression with these former halves is they start out being a bit creative, running the ball a bit, chipping etc, and then gradually get told to concentrate on their defence, and not worry about trying to be fancy. Paix is following the same pattern. He looks pretty broken too.

People probably forget that Macca was another makeshift hooker. The usual progression with these former halves is they start out being a bit creative, running the ball a bit, chipping etc, and then gradually get told to concentrate on their defence, and not worry about trying to be fancy. Paix is following the same pattern. He looks pretty broken too.

You might be right. Macca is another one that could and probably should have been so much better.

But wasn't that the same with C.Smith though?

You might be right. Macca is another one that could and probably should have been so much better.

But wasn't that the same with C.Smith though?
Nothing wrong with turning a second tier half into a hooker as long as you reflect on why you're going down that path. The theory should be you're trying to add more flair into your spine by essentially having three playmakers. But if you instead try to rub out that half's qualities and make him focus on a trade (tackling) that's not his strength, you're getting the least of both worlds. And that's what we've achieved every time.

Cameron Smith had the best coach in the game, who has basically set up a spine factory that churns out the best hookers in the comp. We've picked up three of his hookers who didn't even make his cut: Turpin, Walters and now Smoothy.

hmmmm, interesting.

Kevvie must have been coaching Turpin his whole career. because he's never shown the ability to be anything more (at least in the NRL). his biggest attraction was always that he wasn't Andrew McCullough, but once the rose coloured glasses are gone, it was plainly obvious that he was Macca.

If it's true that Kevvie instructed him to be a tackle bot (and i have no idea one way or the other), maybe it was a case of a coach realising Turpin sucked at pretty much everything else, so got him to fill a role in the team by playing to his only strength

hmmmm, interesting.

Kevvie must have been coaching Turpin his whole career. because he's never shown the ability to be anything more (at least in the NRL). his biggest attraction was always that he wasn't Andrew McCullough, but once the rose coloured glasses are gone, it was plainly obvious that he was Macca.

If it's true that Kevvie instructed him to be a tackle bot (and i have no idea one way or the other), maybe it was a case of a coach realising Turpin sucked at pretty much everything else, so got him to fill a role in the team by playing to his only strength

But he displayed potential in other areas early on. 2019 vs Sharks where he played 7 I think. There was more there. He was even a bit more crafty at 9 before Kev came in.

He was never going to be anything but average or slightly above wherever he played, but the decline in display of ability from late 2020 on was obvious.

Will never forget him getting the first try at the Cows new stadium, with a Macca-esque special no less.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • LittleDavey
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manlyman
  • Browny
  • Manofoneway
  • Lurker
  • Morkel
  • rj9
  • The Boss
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Wolfie
  • Spooky1013
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.