Prince to play on in 2014

redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
So much for Prince retiring!

Halfback Scott Prince will shun retirement to play on with Brisbane Broncos | Rugby League, NRL Scores, NRL Ladder | Fox Sports

VETERAN Brisbane playmaker Scott Prince is set to shun retirement and fight for the right to remain at the Broncos scrumbase next season.

Speaking for the first time about his future, Prince told Triple M radio he intended to see out his two-year deal with the Broncos, which expires at the end of 2014.

A fortnight ago, Prince and former halves partner Peter Wallace learned that while Brisbane hierarchy are happy to honour their existing deals, the duo are not guaranteed NRL action next season.

But after playing strongly in Brisbane's 18-all extra-time draw with Newcastle on Friday night, Prince is backing himself to be a first-grade contributor at age 34 next year.

"The way I read it is that I have signed for two years and that is my contract," Prince said.

"In my mind I am here for next year ... unless I hear otherwise."

While Wallace's days are over in the No.7 jumper, Prince may yet be a contingency at five-eighth next year. The Broncos are privately hoping to secure Ben Barba or Anthony Milford at pivot, but should neither arrive in 2014, Prince could still be a back-up option, particularly if the club was to suffer a scrumbase injury crisis.

For all his detractors, Prince has lifted his game in the past fortnight. He sunk the Cowboys with a late conversion in Townsville and impressed against the Knights, delivering a pinpoint pass for Justin Hodges to score Brisbane's opening try at Hunter Stadium.

"Especially the last few weeks, I'm getting the ball in an attacking zone where I can create options on the edge for 'Hodgo' and Jack Reed," Prince said.

"It all starts in the middle when the forwards are laying the foundations for you.

"The feeling after a draw was a bit empty, we were probably the better team on the night but full credit to Newcastle.

"One point is better than none I guess."

Prince's halves partner Ben Hunt, who was outstanding on Friday night, said the Broncos are now walking a finals tightrope after dropping another point in Newcastle.

"It's a little disappointing, we had the lead there and let the Knights get back into it. We need every point we can get so the win would have been better for us," he said.

"I'm not too sure if we'll make (the finals), we just have to take it a week at a time, getting a win over the Dragons this week would be a good start and we'll see how it goes."

Nothing too see here, if he was considering leaving / retiring he wouldn't do it until the season is over.

"after playing strongly"?! I didn't even realise Prince was on the field. I thought we just wheeled him out to kick goals.

I've always been a fan but its time for Super League, Scotty.

I doubt he could find anywhere for next year, not in the nrl anyway. He was odds on to see out his contract but good on him for not spitting the dummy and showing a good attitude. I believe he is still our best halfs option along with hunt and at the moment that still rings true for 2014.

i was not a fan of prince for many years, even when he was playing well at tigers and early titans I thought he was a sneaky little shit that got away with a lot of crap during games, a game against us where he was baiting ennis all game comes to mind but this year he has raised my opinion of him. He has tried his butt off for us, been a target in defence, and not always had a lot of support. His goal kicking has been great.

as I write this Milford goes over for the raiders showing great skill and speed, I hope we get him next year!!

I've always been a massive fan of Scott Prince. He hasn't been great this year, but has tried his heart out. Good on him.

"unless I hear otherwise"

Hmm, I think I heard "Prince & Wallace have been told they aren't going to feature for the Broncos next year" about 50 times during the game on Friday night.

I'm happy to have prince as a backup half for next year but nothing more than that though, it definitely beats having Wallace as a backup half/hooker or anywhere near our 17.

Prince's not playing for pride or because he feels he has more to give, it's just for the cash. Retire, get nothing or alternately play for the Jets, stay out of trouble and pick up a couple large. Wouldn't even need to train to hard, might even get benched . Easy earn.

Happy for Prince to be back up half or if Milford doesn't head home play in the 6. I'd prefer he didn't but if our other options are Wallace or McCrone I'll take Prince thanks.

If he stays and plays QCup, he will be in our top 25 though ... he either needs to retire, move or be bought out ? Otherwise the 300k or whatever he is on is on the cap

Oink !

Prince is well within his rights to play on. He has a contract.

Few wrong statements. He wouldn't have to be in the top 25. He doesn't cost the club a lot, Titans still pick up a lot of the tab. He would still train with the NRL squad and play Q Cup same as all the other guys.

yeah prince will be playing in 2014. playing in qcup that is. all the best champ

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Mustafur
  • Stix
  • Galah
  • Volvo Driver
  • Bucking Beads
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ostin86
  • GCBRONCO
  • Painin the Haas
  • broncs30
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • IceWorks
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.