NEWS Proposed 20 team NRL Competition

How long before the NRL starts taking not only fringe rugby players but some of their best? NRL salary cap - 12.1 million x 17 teams. AU Super Rugby - 5.5 million x 3 teams. The NRL is on track to have a higher cap per team than Aus rugby combined within a few years.

One thing I will say about vlandys, is that is his latest idea wasn't bad. He's suggested we create a pathway for the undrafted NFL players to come to Australia, it's a good idea as they are most likely quality athletes who deserve to be a top tier sport somewhere, and that in turn grows the game in Australia

It is one thing to have a good idea, it is an entirely different thing to execute it well. A lot of ideas / changes in rugby league could be argued to be good but the execution is amateurish and appalling.

How fortunate that the Dolphins have won both their games. It has confirmed that expansion is definitely a success and we need moar teams now. I can only imagine that if the Dolphins had lost, talks of further expansion would be shelved. What a Sliding Doors moment, what luck that it turned out this way.

Vlandys has a fucking Palpatine vibe going on here. I'm calling it now. Our clash with them will be a Top Of The Table game and they will be victorious, and Darth Vlando will already be taking bids for the 3 new teams.
Foreseen everything talking

How long before the NRL starts taking not only fringe rugby players but some of their best? NRL salary cap - 12.1 million x 17 teams. AU Super Rugby - 5.5 million x 3 teams. The NRL is on track to have a higher cap per team than Aus rugby combined within a few years.
I don't see how Union has an answer for NRLs continued growth, sooner or later NRL will surpass french rugby in money available to sign players and by then I suspect we will be getting players from all over the world.

Interesting Abdo last night said that for the 18th team, they are looking at PNG. I think it should be Perth but happy to hear they are considering PNG, would be great to someone like Ipape to be the face of it.

I will preface this by saying that the next side, IMO ofc, needs to be either Perth or NZ 2.

A Perth side is best for TV, a second NZ side is best for the game in terms of developing players and attracting long term fans in NZ. Rugby League is more likely to attract union, which is by all accounts I've heard becoming slower and dominated by the northern hemisphere grind and kick style of play, fans in NZ than rusted on AFL fan boys out West. Travelling to Wellington or Christchurch is also easier than going out to Perth.

EDIT: That said, there are jaded Union fans and Saffa expats who are crazy about Union in WA too.

Interesting Abdo last night said that for the 18th team, they are looking at PNG. I think it should be Perth but happy to hear they are considering PNG, would be great to someone like Ipape to be the face of it.

I can't see how PNG could attract non-PNG players- imagine trying to convince Ponga or Munster to live in PNG.

It's too shallow a playing pool from PNG and no development systems in place.

I can't see how PNG could attract non-PNG players- imagine trying to convince Ponga or Munster to live in PNG.

It's too shallow a playing pool from PNG and no development systems in place.

He didn't really go into detail about it, it sort of seemed it slipped more than he wanted to actually put it out there. I imagine this would be the Cairns-based team they are talking about.

He didn't really go into detail about it, it sort of seemed it slipped more than he wanted to actually put it out there. I imagine this would be the Cairns-based team they are talking about.

To me if you have to play in a different country then you shouldn't have a team; that move alone says they're not ready.

I mean Dolphins shouldn't play at Lang Park but PNG can play in Carins.

Here's an idea........seeing that the Cowpats are so successful and North QLDers love their Rugby League, brand new stadium and all, just plonk a new team in Townsville to play in the off week to the Cows.

I'm sure it will have no effect on the Cowpats ability to recruit or keep players they develop. 🙄

I dont recall him talking about PNG being the preferred bid... I think he was just regurgitating a focus to improve those areas and being the number 1 sport in the Pasifika region.

I dont think they will get a team, but I think it could be a good idea for NRL to fund / invest in the PNG and Fiji teams that are playing in Qcup and NSW cup.

I thought he did mention something about bringing those players through and seeing them in the NRL

To me if you have to play in a different country then you shouldn't have a team; that move alone says they're not ready.

I mean Dolphins shouldn't play at Lang Park but PNG can play in Carins.
The idea has them playing several home games at Port Moresby but being based in Cairns with what I assume has the Hunters and probably another team as affiliates, considering the political situation in PNG you would be waiting another 100 years to actually get a team in that country to be based there given the money that gets thrown around these days in the NRL(and it's only getting bigger), and we all know that country has been massively under utilised in getting the talent to first grade with huge bottle necks in development pathways.

The 18th team has to be Perth. Let's create a true National Rugby League before focusing on creating a plastic Pacifica team. We should be creating pathways for Pacifica players to play for Australian footy teams at the same time. This sport can grow to be huge if we focus on developing rugby league in Fiji, PNG, Samoa, Tonga, NZ, even the US instead of handing an under-prepared franchise a spot in the top competition. 18 is the magic number currently, but even then slight growth will be needed.

The 18th team has to be Perth. Let's create a true National Rugby League before focusing on creating a plastic Pacifica team. We should be creating pathways for Pacifica players to play for Australian footy teams at the same time. This sport can grow to be huge if we focus on developing rugby league in Fiji, PNG, Samoa, Tonga, NZ, even the US instead of handing an under-prepared franchise a spot in the top competition. 18 is the magic number currently, but even then slight growth will be needed.
About half the current NRL players already identify/qualify as Pasifika. About zero -rounding up - identify as Western Australian. While we're watching the Broncos vs Dolphins live on 9, in Perth they'll be watching a 13 year old B-movie called The Next Three Days. **** Perth. **** flying half way across the world to play a bunch of ***** poached from QLD and NSW teams.

About half the current NRL players already identify/qualify as Pasifika. About zero -rounding up - identify as Western Australian. While we're watching the Broncos vs Dolphins live on 9, in Perth they'll be watching a 13 year old B-movie called The Next Three Days. **** Perth. **** flying half way across the world to play a bunch of ***** poached from QLD and NSW teams.
And they’re already playing in the NRL, as you said. That’s not growth, that’s moving the same players we already have around.

Active Now

• Redux
  • Midean
  • Strop
  • GCBRONCO
  • Allo
  • Wolfie
  • theshed
  • Justwin
  • Xzei
  • BroncosAlways
  • MrTickyMcG
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • MrMoore
  • Fozz
  • Fatboy
  • Skathen
  • cento
  • simplythebest
  • Tim K
... and 29 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.