Q-Cup lineups

They've had byes for the last 3 or 4 years haven't they?

But yeah, doubt they'd go back to that. But then, teams seem to drop out pretty regularly in the Q Cup. Wouldn't surprise if one of Mackay and Northern Pride drop out, or even Tweed to return to GC Group 18.

I think Tweed should bugger off to the NSW cup.

Coxy said:
They've had byes for the last 3 or 4 years haven't they?

Yeah and everyone has been hating it.

Coxy said:
But yeah, doubt they'd go back to that. But then, teams seem to drop out pretty regularly in the Q Cup. Wouldn't surprise if one of Mackay and Northern Pride drop out, or even Tweed to return to GC Group 18.

Oh for sure, someone might not be able to take up their invitation, but I still don't think they would invite another team in - they need to go through a whole process of assessing the club for their ability to be competitive (on-field) and sustainable (off-field) blah blah blah. I mean if Storm come in and guarantee everything then it would likely speed up that process. But the other thing is players - I am pretty sure all the clubs have their playing rosters close to final now - unless Storm is going to pull out of NSW Premier League completely and just basically re-locate back up to Q-Cup, they will struggle to fill a roster.

Anyway that's all I know / have heard. Won't know for sure until the 2009 teams are formally announced and a draw out.

Do you guys think their would be enough talent to spread the QRL across two divisions. Then play off the top teams from the two divisions?

I wouldn't want to be the one telling any of the clubs they have been demoted to Division 2.

I'm not sure the talent pool is that deep to be honest - every year there are usually 2 or 3 clubs that really struggle and a couple of clubs that really dominate and the rest just kind of fall in the middle.

Having said that, there are also quite a number of players who certainly wouldn't be out of place in the NRL but have never been out of Q-Cup, whether it be for lack of opportunity or some other reason.

Oh no, I don't mean a lower division, I meant 2, same level, but then play off. Like USA basketball or something.

Conferences is probably a better word. The thing is, you're right, probably isn't enough talent.

Man I wish I could get up the higher echelons of RL buisness; I'd take the NRL/ARL/QRL/NSWRL by storm!!

Ooooooooooooooooooh OK, I get you now. It would really just be a matter of taking the 12 teams they have for 2009 and seeding them and put all the odd seeded teams in one division and the even seeded teams in the other - you would probably base it on this seasons results I guess, then have 2 divisions of 6, but I don't think 6 teams in a division is really enough for a full season, even adding cross-division play-offs at the end.

So I guess you are asking if there is enough talent to add more teams in total to have each division a bit bigger (maybe 8 or 10 teams in each?). I really don't think there is enough talent for that.

I would like to see the top clubs from Q Cup play off against the top clubs from NSW Premier League at the end of the season and have a "National Champion" for the second tier level competition.

Flutterby said:
I would like to see the top clubs from Q Cup play off against the top clubs from NSW Premier League at the end of the season and have a "National Champion" for the second tier level competition.

Which is why I would take RL in Australia by air, land and sea!

QRL and NSWRL comp to be shorter. Top 4 from each state play each in a knockout comp. Throw in a token couple of Bartercard Cup teams as well.

This is televised mid-week, ala the classic Panasonic Cup, but I'd call it "The Hammtacular Cup of Excellence (HCE)".

You know Flutterby; with your booksmats and my ability to exploit people with booksmarts, this would work.

You know Hammo - I am starting to agree with you and your cheesy line ripped from some movie (which one I can't remember right now). But I do agree with your ideas - except for the competition name, I'll ponder that further.

I found out that they want the Panthers in the Q Cup in 2010 and it's looking likely....

Flutterby said:
You know Hammo - I am starting to agree with you and your cheesy line ripped from some movie (which one I can't remember right now). But I do agree with your ideas - except for the competition name, I'll ponder that further.

Not a movie - The Simpsons...

Culhwch said:
Flutterby said:

Not a movie - The Simpsons...

Movie - TV show, whatever. The point is - it's not Hammo's line icon_smile

It's probably the way you spell 'booksmarts' that first time that does it...

Oh BAM - another spelling nazi to pick on Hammo - you got some competition now Coxy

I don't know, 'booksmats' has a certain ring to it...

I use a wireless keyboard that often runs low on battery...that and I type with two fingers and don't look at the screen until after the sentence is typed.

orsmness remains.

No need to explain, anyone who quotes Simpsons (and vintage Simpsons at that) is fine by me...

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Xzei
  • Brocko
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.