Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Queensland Maroons squad for 2020
Jorja Brinums
QRL lead content producer
20 Dec 2019, 11:58 AM

Queensland Rugby League has today named 33 players in the 2020 Queensland Maroons squad, with a number of exciting new faces featuring in the line-up.

In a strategic move away from the traditional Emerging Origin camp, Maroons coach Kevin Walters decided he wanted the complete squad at the pre-season camp to begin preparations for the 2020 campaign.

"We want the 2020 Origin squad to spend as much time together to build their relationships off the field as well in their specific positions," Walters said.

"It is also a wonderful opportunity for those who haven't experienced State of Origin football to mix in and spend time with current team members.

"There has always been a strong bond and mateship between Queensland players and we will continue to drive that message over the two-day camp.”

Ten of those selected for the 2020 squad are yet to don a Maroons jersey, with the rest having experienced the Origin arena.

Canberra Raiders wrecking ball Corey Horsburgh, who has been part of the Queensland Emerging Origin Program, is in the line-up alongside Cronulla Sharks speed demon Ronaldo Mulitalo, who ran out for the Queensland Under 20 side this year.

The other eight yet to debut are AJ Brimson, Kurt Capewell, Kyle Feldt, Phillip Sami, Jake Friend, Reed Mahoney, Thomas Flegler, and Jaydn Su'A.

Four players who formed part of the 15-strong 2019 Emerging Origin squad - Joe Ofahengaue, Christian Welch, David Fifita and Corey Norman - earned a Maroons call-up this year following camp in January.

The 2020 Maroons squad will get together in Brisbane from February 1-2.

Queensland Maroons squad for 2020

AJ Brimson
Jai Arrow
Daly Cherry-Evans
Kurt Capewell
Kyle Feldt
David Fifita
Thomas Flegler
Jake Friend
Dane Gagai
Tim Glasby
Coen Hess
Valentine Holmes
Corey Horsburgh
Ben Hunt
Felise Kaufusi
Ethan Lowe
Reed Mahoney
Moses Mbye
Josh McGuire
Anthony Milford
Michael Morgan
Ronaldo Mulitalo
Cameron Munster
Dylan Napa
Corey Norman
Corey Oates
Joe Ofahengaue
Josh Papalii
Kalyn Ponga
Phillip Sami
Jaydn Su'A
Jarrod Wallace
Christian Welch

Source: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/12..._PzQ1xUQ_XgHxWNLfaExGO-0V1IqfrPaoh8z4vfdfIzTI

**** off with the Origin shit already, Milford should be focusing on Broncos training and Broncos training only.

The 2020 Maroons squad will get together in Brisbane from February 1-2.

No Macca? Is he the only non-retired ex-Maroon not there?

**** off with the Origin shit already, Milford should be focusing on Broncos training and Broncos training only.
Agree with you but these emerging camps are the reason the origin cycle runs from January - July. So over it.

The only recognised centre in the squad is Moses Mbye and you could make the argument that he's a natural five eighth. It confirms that Queensland will be relying on their wings and five eighths to fill the role.

I would say the most interesting thing about the squad is how many players remained from the previous series. I know they were only one non-call away from winning the entire series, but after the embarrassment in Perth I would have thought quite a few players would have been made to force their way back into consideration.

Players such as Glasby, Wallace, Napa etc. I would have thought at least one would have missed the cut.

Also interesting that instead of picking fifteen fresh faces like they had done in the past, it's only 10. Last series they were already beginning to select players from outside of that emerging squad anyways (Lowe, Capewell as 18th Man etc.) but after another defeat you would think Queensland would be trying to mix things up.

It’s currently December 20th. What’s your point?

Well, uhh, that means Milford can focus on training with the Broncos for the next 1.5 months, and then when the time arrives for the QLD boot camp, he doesn't even have to leave Brisbane..?

Doesn't sound like as much of a distraction to his preparation as you were making out.

Well, uhh, that means Milford can focus on training with the Broncos for the next 1.5 months, and then when the time arrives for the QLD boot camp, he doesn't even have to leave Brisbane..?

Doesn't sound like as much of a distraction to his preparation as you were making out.
Yeah it’s still December and we are already talking about Origin. I swear some of you will just argue anything.

Yeah it’s still December and we are already talking about Origin. I swear some of you will just argue anything.

What?.. Nobody is talking about Origin, I made this thread because Walters announced the squad for 2020 today. Is your criticism of him announcing the squad too early? If so, Fittler announced a 64 man squad for 2020 3 weeks ago.

What?.. Nobody is talking about Origin, I made this thread because Walters announced the squad for 2020 today. Is your criticism of him announcing the squad too early? If so, Fittler announced a 64 man squad for 2020 3 weeks ago.
Yes, it has absolutely nothing to do with you posting it so settle down. It’s all about the fact that they’re talking about it way too early. It derails our season almost every year. Fittler can **** off too.

I don't see the issue, these pre-season Origin camps have been apart of the system since 2001 when Bennett brought it in. It helps the players understand where they currently stand, what the coaching staff expect and makes the transition into camp more comfortable.

Mahoney for me has shown a bit more in the NRL than Turps

Give Turps a full season at hooker first.

All ‘memes’ aside I just think he’s a better player.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • IceWorks
  • Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • Matheos
  • KateBroncos1812
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Gaz
  • Tmac
  • TimWhatley
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.