Queensland 2014 Line-Ups

I'm with you on this one Porthoz, I think all the talk of NSW pack being stronger than us is overstated.

I would imagine we go direct from the get go with SCOOT and Myles and Parker out there and once they get a breather, we probably start attacking the edges with our quality line runners and their suspect defenders like TRex come on. I don't think we will be playing a traditional Griffinball attack. We have a mobile and multipronged forward pack and we will be using it in my opinion.

Don't worry about the forwards. We have the key to domination and that's Cam smith. He does the thinking for them and knows when to give them the ball and where. He's far FAR superior to Farrah at full strength, and as luck would have it Farrah is a bit underdone. If we lose it will be elsewhere.

"We have the key to domination and that's Cam smith."

This is a good point. Wait until T-rex comes on, and then watch Smith's eyes light up at the prospect of running Melbourne plays to test out his lateral defence...no one does it better.

I would hope it is. Time to start planning for the future.

I wasn't thinking about it from a future planning way. just that they're both pushing on and can be a bit brittle.

as far as bringing in the next generation, I'd be happy to keep picking Tate and Hodges when they've 50 if they're still playing great. the next generation can earn their spots by playing excellently week after week in the NRL, which I can't say is happening at the moment

What younger generation do we really have to replace Hodges and Tate with? Chambers is pretty good but he's not at Hodge's level. Gagai has proven himself to be lazy and ill disciplined and people like Copley and Vidot are massively over-rated simply because they do well for us at club level.

Until Israel Folau comes back or Edrick Lee stays fit and develops I don't really see anyone I want to groom in the outside backs.

What younger generation do we really have to replace Hodges and Tate with? Chambers is pretty good but he's not at Hodge's level. Gagai has proven himself to be lazy and ill disciplined and people like Copley and Vidot are massively over-rated simply because they do well for us at club level.

Until Israel Folau comes back or Edrick Lee stays fit and develops I don't really see anyone I want to groom in the outside backs.

They're overrated because they do well at club level? What? How dare people rate them because they're good at the only rugby league they currently play.

They're over-rated because they do well for the Broncos.

Yeah you said that. It still doesn't make sense.

Because it's a forum full of Broncos supporters, so these players are viewed with Bronco bias. To be fair Vidot would still get some raps if he were playing at a different club, but not as many. Honestly, if Copley were a Shark and was putting in the same performances he has been for us people wouldn't even entertain the idea of him being a potential Origin player.

Vidot has been good with the hard work but still has deficiencies, most notably under the high ball. I wouldn't feel at all confident in either at Origin level. Ditto applies to Will Chambers too. Also to a guy who has been picked, like Trent Hodkinson. Terrific form, but not at all convinced he has all the tools to make it at Origin level. Hopefully he doesn't and NSW keep picking him anyway.

They're over-rated because they do well for the Broncos.
Do you mean overrated by us because they are good for us or overrated by everyone else who watches them do good for us?

When you're making good metres on kick returns (Vidot) and scoring tries (Copely), it's very hard to use the word overrated and not look silly. Until they are tested at rep level we won't ever know if they are out of their depth or overrated.

Do you mean overrated by us because they are good for us or overrated by everyone else who watches them do good for us?

When you're making good metres on kick returns (Vidot) and scoring tries (Copely), it's very hard to use the word overrated and not look silly. Until they are tested at rep level we won't ever know if they are out of their depth or overrated.

Vidot has been making great metres, but you need more at Origin level. Copley has been scoring tries, but honestly that isn't a huge factor - Boyd is a shit try scorer at NRL level but always comes up aces at Origin time.

The over-rated comment is meant in the sense that if you think Copley or Vidot should be set to displace Hodges or Tate than that person is over-rating them, because they just aren't at that level yet. Certainly I'm not "hoping" that this year is Hodges or Tates last if the current levels of Vidot and Copley and Chambers are what's to replace them. Different story if those guys improve more, but not there yet. At least IMO.

Last edited:
I actually think Dale is well on his way but needs a year to master his game.

Needs to study Tate and get more competitive.

Vidot needs to work on his defence before I'd even consider him.

makes jharal yow yeh's forced early retirement still so hard to swallow. left a huge generation gap. i hope there are some up and comers because our great qld team is getting old. would hate for the tables to turn on us.

I actually think Dale is well on his way but needs a year to master his game.

Needs to study Tate and get more competitive.

Vidot needs to work on his defence before I'd even consider him.

Agreed on the Tate Copley comparison. In terms of abilities, strengths and weaknesses I think they are very similar, but Tate definitely has the edge over Copley in all facets. Certainly hope that changes but at this stage I wouldn't want to swap.

I think Akuila Uate serves as a great cautionary tale. When he was picked I think his club form was better than Copley's or Vidot's, but he had some smallish holes in his game which were largely exposed at Origin level. I'd hate for something similar to happen to us, regardless of whether that player were a Bronco or Will Chambers or whoever.

The biggest difference between Tate and Copley is that Tate has been an amazing defender for most of his career and Copley has been caught out a number of times in his few matches in the centres. He's still young though, and I definitely see him a superior talent to ordinary Chambers.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • lynx000
  • mieko
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Waynesaurus
  • Pablo
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • Tmac
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • Nerd
  • Behind enemy lines
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.