Queensland 2014 Line-Ups

Hesitant to be confident in Guerra & McQueen. Both are playing behind dominant packs in the NRL and it's difficult to see how they'd go in isolation. If we end up on the back foot neither are the sort of player to drag the game back in our favour. Myles & Scott can't be on the field all game & Gillett with Papa can both be liabilities in defence. Hopefully Parker can be the glue that Harrison has been for years.

Is NSW pack even that fearsome heading into Game I?

Granted they have Tamou, Gallen & Watmough but they're missing a host of players too and aren't exactly spoiled for choice up front.

To put it into 8-17

8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Scott
12. Lewis
13. Gallen

14. T. Sims
15. T-Rex
16. Watmough
17. Merrin

That pack doesn't worry me in the slightest tbh.

Is NSW pack even that fearsome heading into Game I?

Granted they have Tamou, Gallen & Watmough but they're missing a host of players too and aren't exactly spoiled for choice up front.

To put it into 8-17

8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Scott
12. Lewis
13. Gallen

14. T. Sims
15. T-Rex
16. Watmough
17. Merrin

shit...no prizes for guessing where they plan to attack Qld ... fair enough too, it's where they've had the edge on us for a fair portion of the past two and a half series imo, and even in their depleted state that lineup looks like hard work for our forward pack.

I would take the NSW forward pack over the Queensland one tbh

I don't think the pack will be walk over, it's Origin but I don't think it's as strong as it was last year either.

Aaron Woods - Too early to write off but his efforts last year and in City/Country didn't exactly inspire me. Seems a bit soft at this level.

Robbie Farah - A quality player. His biggest crime is that he isn't as good as Smith.

James Tamou - Is starting to wise up after a disappointing 2013 but hasn't quite gone on with his 2012 form.

Luke Lewis - Aside from one game where he destroyed an understrength JT I've ever thought much of him in this arena. Hasn't played a lot of footy in recent times either.

Beau Scott - A grub. May give them a bit of Andrew Gee starch, may also be a complete waste of a spot.

Paul Gallen - A good 'un.

Tony Williams - Could be a handful but could also be a complete sideshow attraction. Willing to bet the latter.

Tariq Sims - Nothing wrong with him off the bench other than he might be made to play in the middle where he is no where near as effective.

Trent Merrin - Not exactly in great form and aside from splitting the Maroons apart once, hasn't really been much chop at this level. Seems like a typical Dragons player really.

Anthony Watmough - A good 'un but not overly consistent.

Really not sure about Boyd's selection. On form, Vidot deserved a spot over him (still not sure what his eligibility situation is with the Samoa thing).

Boyd is a no brainer selection. Form is temporary, class is permanent, and despite being a **** Boyd is a class player. He also has about 5 years worth of chemistry playing outside of JT and Inglis at both test and Origin level. That in itself is priceless.

How does McQueen get a spot? He isn't even starting for his club
He must be a Meninga favourite. Last year he gave him more minutes than Thaiday and Parker. This year he retains his starting spot for QLD despite being pushed to the bench for Souths by a pretty ordinary player in Kyle Turner. Even his utility value is worthless as we already have Gillett, Te'o and Guerra in the side. I'm not going to presume to have more rugby league knowledge than Meninga and his team (even though I kind of just did), but I can see this small pack notion backfiring, especially in the early stanza when NSW are putting four men in every tackle and we can't get outside our own 40.

How many times has a player been selected, not in the best form and had an absolute blinder for QLD?

I reckon McQueen will have a motm performance and Boyd will score a hat trick!

Have faith lads, get behind the boys this is QLD we're talking about!

No bench props worries me. We did the same last year and I remember vividly how much we struggled when scott went off. We basically have to get ahead in the first 25, then hold on til scott comes back on with 25 to go.

I dont understand the logic. We pick Guerra, Teo and Papalii based on them being wide running backrowers, yet they will be expected to play up the middle heaps, negating their good attributes.

No bench props worries me. We did the same last year and I remember vividly how much we struggled when scott went off. We basically have to get ahead in the first 25, then hold on til scott comes back on with 25 to go.

I dont understand the logic. We pick Guerra, Teo and Papalii based on them being wide running backrowers, yet they will be expected to play up the middle heaps, negating their good attributes.

Well, there is only one answer - as with the Broncos, the forwards will have to hold the middle and defend like men possessed, while our edges and backs walk over them.

As for McQueen, I watched him play the other day and he looked like he was getting his mojo back. I think he will do well

McQueen isnt even particularly good at his best. Worst of the QLD back rowers and worse than Cooper too. I know all our selected back rowers are right sided players, but id back them to go better than McQueen on the left. Would open up a spot for a front rower too.

As for Guerra, he is great in th3 middle as a lock too. He's like Cordner in that regard.

He must be a Meninga favourite. Last year he gave him more minutes than Thaiday and Parker. This year he retains his starting spot for QLD despite being pushed to the bench for Souths by a pretty ordinary player in Kyle Turner. Even his utility value is worthless as we already have Gillett, Te'o and Guerra in the side. I'm not going to presume to have more rugby league knowledge than Meninga and his team (even though I kind of just did), but I can see this small pack notion backfiring, especially in the early stanza when NSW are putting four men in every tackle and we can't get outside our own 40.

I agree with a lot of that as always, Art but we won't be getting dominated in the early stanza as that is when we have Scott, Myles and Parker out there, there is no problem there.

How many times has a player been selected, not in the best form and had an absolute blinder for QLD?

I reckon McQueen will have a motm performance and Boyd will score a hat trick!

Have faith lads, get behind the boys this is QLD we're talking about!

Myles a perfect example of this. He's been solid for the Tits for a while now but was still getting selected when playing like shit for the Roosters.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.