Queensland AFL State?

Right, thanks Vlandys.

Now let's again look at the facts, which yes I know people don't like because it shows the NRL is in trouble. This is the most up to date I can find and are from the official respective websites (unfortunately and embarrassingly, the NRL's isn't even the most up to date source here):

Memberships 2024
Sydney Swans - 73757
Brisbane Lions - 63268

Brisbane Broncos - 40207
GWS - 36629
Redcliffe - 35536
Parramatta - 35015
Gold Coast Suns - 26157
Canberra - 24060
Canterbury - 22000
St George - 21124
Wests - 20859
Easts - 20072
Cronulla - 14384
Gold Coast Titans - 13124

Now look, I understand in some cases it is comparing apples and oranges and really, you would need to combine the western Sydney teams to compare with GWS but look at where the AFL clubs sit there.

The best comparison of all is the Gold Coast because they are in direct competition - the Suns have DOUBLE the amount of memberships as the Titans and both teams SUCK.

Again, I am sure this will read to you as the AFL is great and the NRL isn't but no, this is to show the powers that be cannot afford to have your attitude, it is out of touch with reality and what the data is proving and that is, this old, stubborn mindset is no longer relevant and burying the head in the sand is allowing the AFL to take more and more league heartland.

I love the AFL but I don't want to be seeing this, I'm also a fan of what league once was and I want league to be thriving. All the relevant data shows that while it is far from being dead of course, it is trending alarmingly in the wrong direction compared to its biggest competitor.
How many of these were for the free Kayo account? Also what the **** is a AFL Supporter membership that the Lions are offering.

You might like this one too, speaking of those Gold Coast teams specifically. Whole lot of good double the fake memberships do.

14/07/24AFL: Gold Coast Suns v Port Adelaide14,526
13/07/24NRL: Titans v Eels16,670

Again, I get it, I'm on a league forum and I get this is coming across as an attack on the NRL and that the AFL is awesome but that isn't my meaning. My meaning is simply that the NRL admin must not reflect this kind of mindset that so many fans have, that's really all basically.
The NRL admin have done everything they possibly could to win over Western Sydney by allowing the Panthers to get away with anything just to be successful. They change rules for that team. They might be stupid, greedy pricks but they're aware that AFL is growing in certain areas. It's just never actually grown the way AFL fans claim it does. And they can't even catch or kick straight.

I don't go to spain and jam nrl down people's throats by wearing the jersey everywhere and forcing it onto their tvs and telling them how much h better it is than soccer.
Tell that to random souths jersey guy. That prick shows up everywhere.

Let’s see the tv numbers please, from a non-NRL aligned source.

I put up a link in the grand final thread about an NRL-AFL finals viewership numbers article. It debunks this theory badly.

In fact, the Lions v GWS final, two teams in league heartland, had more viewership than the Cowboys final on at the same time.

Overall finals viewership numbers has AFL COMFORTABLY ahead of the NRL.

The reality is, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a fan like you saying stuff like this, you are not paid to worry about it.

What concerns me is the powers that be don’t take it seriously. Vlandys even saying selling AFL to QLD is like selling meat to vegetarians is just a stupid comment from a corrupt idiot.

While the Broncs bombed out of the season early, the Lions have gone on to win the whole thing. I’d be very worried if I was the NRL.

And yes junior participation matters immensely because this exposure does not pay off over night, it takes a generation to show the impact.

In my opinion, given the respective finals viewership, we are already starting to see the beginnings of this long term work from the AFL come to fruition.

And all this at a time when the rugby league product that is the NRL is at an all time low in terms of quality, there are literally two teams each year now who can win it and usually, it is the Storm, Roosters or Penrith.
Comparing a Brisbane team with a Townsville team is not a like for like comparison at all, You have to compare Lions to Broncos to have a fair reflection.

and besides you need to see the audience from the areas targeted only because in most cases most viewers will be from the main base of the sports support, so Victoria.

NRL has no need to be worried though because in all metrics it's growing(Attendance and TV numbers) so if AFL is as well, than both are.

Right, thanks Vlandys.

Now let's again look at the facts, which yes I know people don't like because it shows the NRL is in trouble. This is the most up to date I can find and are from the official respective websites (unfortunately and embarrassingly, the NRL's isn't even the most up to date source here):

Memberships 2024
Sydney Swans - 73757
Brisbane Lions - 63268

Brisbane Broncos - 40207
GWS - 36629
Redcliffe - 35536
Parramatta - 35015
Gold Coast Suns - 26157
Canberra - 24060
Canterbury - 22000
St George - 21124
Wests - 20859
Easts - 20072
Cronulla - 14384
Gold Coast Titans - 13124

Now look, I understand in some cases it is comparing apples and oranges and really, you would need to combine the western Sydney teams to compare with GWS but look at where the AFL clubs sit there.

The best comparison of all is the Gold Coast because they are in direct competition - the Suns have DOUBLE the amount of memberships as the Titans and both teams SUCK.

Again, I am sure this will read to you as the AFL is great and the NRL isn't but no, this is to show the powers that be cannot afford to have your attitude, it is out of touch with reality and what the data is proving and that is, this old, stubborn mindset is no longer relevant and burying the head in the sand is allowing the AFL to take more and more league heartland.

I love the AFL but I don't want to be seeing this, I'm also a fan of what league once was and I want league to be thriving. All the relevant data shows that while it is far from being dead of course, it is trending alarmingly in the wrong direction compared to its biggest competitor.
Memberships is also not a like for comparison because AFL has been doing it for significantly longer so it's head start is decades ahead, now you could say the new teams don't have that advantage but the culture surrounding AFL has it, and it's more than likely the fans of those AFL clubs were fans of other clubs before hand and probably members, similar to how Dolphins when they came in.

It also has significantly more options on those memberships.

Swans according to alot of Metrics have them as the most followed team in Australia but it's misleading, as like with Storm until recently being the NRLs most followed team, because there is next to no engagement of them in the cities they play in.

Outside Eastern Sydney the acknowledgement of their existence is near non existent even.

AFL will always beat NRL in crowds due to the nature of the sport being much better to see in person where it's the opposite in NRL but that's not really the side of the isle you would want to be in as a sport as Stadiums have capacity's that can't be exceeded before a new stadium needs to be made, where as TV is exponentially higher.

I Don't see any evidence of AFL taking over any league heartland areas, it might be growing in NSW and QLD but NRL is also growing too, Last season for example had the highest TV audiences and attendances in history and this year was on track for that too until Broncos bowed out which definitely would have hurt both big(but it is Number 1 for both in the Regular season).

NRL definitely felt the hurt this Finals not having Broncos in the finals at all, while AFL got the perfect demographic scenario of a Sydney and Brisbane team to their grand finals, so they will get a boost in QLD and NSW whilst getting their normal base who will watch any GF.

But just because say a Broncos fan watches a Lions GF it doesn't make them still not a Broncos fan first.

I'm sure If Broncos played Storm again in a Grand final you would be getting a similar boost, could even happen if say the new Perth team makes a GF.

I wish the nrl was taking the growth of afl in qld seriously and started giving advantages and kick backs to the broncos 😏

Lachie Neale, Joe Daniher, Cam Rayner, Will Ashcroft, Harris Andrews and Isaac Heeney are?
who is that GIF

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • Allo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Wild Horse
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.