Queensland Under 18

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Team named soon. Sam Walker and Reece Walsh made the Queensland school boy side today.

Game will be played before Origin one.

Queensland Under 18s

Xavier Coates – Tweed Seagulls

Juwan Compain – Tweed Seagulls

Harrison Graham – Wynnum Manly Seagulls

Reece Hoffman – Wynnum Manly Seagulls

Jack Howarth – Easts Tigers

Joshua James – Norths Devils

Alofiana Khan-Pereira – Burleigh Bears

Trent Loiero – Sunshine Coast Falcons

Jack Martin – Ipswich Jets

Fanitesi Niu – Souths Logan Magpies

Brendan Piakura – Tweed Seagulls

Tristan Powell – Burleigh Bears

Jake Simpkin – Wynnum Manly Seagulls

Hamiso Tabuai–Fidow – Townsville Blackhawks

Carsil Vaikai – Tweed Seagulls

Sam Walker – Ipswich Jets

Reece Walsh – Tweed Seagulls

18th man: Toby Sexton – Tweed Seagulls

Coach: Kurt Richards

Queensland Under 18s

Xavier Coates – Tweed Seagulls

Juwan Compain – Tweed Seagulls

Harrison Graham – Wynnum Manly Seagulls

Reece Hoffman – Wynnum Manly Seagulls

Jack Howarth – Easts Tigers

Joshua James – Norths Devils

Alofiana Khan-Pereira – Burleigh Bears

Trent Loiero – Sunshine Coast Falcons

Jack Martin – Ipswich Jets

Fanitesi Niu – Souths Logan Magpies

Brendan Piakura – Tweed Seagulls

Tristan Powell – Burleigh Bears

Jake Simpkin – Wynnum Manly Seagulls

Hamiso Tabuai–Fidow – Townsville Blackhawks

Carsil Vaikai – Tweed Seagulls

Sam Walker – Ipswich Jets

Reece Walsh – Tweed Seagulls

18th man: Toby Sexton – Tweed Seagulls

Coach: Kurt Richards

Any players in particular to look out for?

Coates, Walsh, Walker, Niu, Simpkin are the Brissy contracted players I know of.

Compain is good, contracted to Titans

James and Martin are also with the Broncos.

From the little I’ve seen of him I really rate Jack Howarth as well. All in all it looks like a good quality team.

Brisbane Broncos - Coates, James, Martin, Niu, Piakura, Simpkin, Walker, Walsh
Gold Coast Titans - Compain, Khan-Pereira, Powell, Vaikai
Melbourne Storm - Howarth, Loiero
North Queensland Cowboys - Tabuai-Fidow
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs - Sexton
Wynnum Manly Seagulls - Hoffman, Graham.

Here is my take on who to watch Wednesday, camp starts Thursday.

Tabuai-Fidow

13 tries in 6 games for Blackhawks, Pride kid from Brothers Cairns. Speed and just try scoring ability. He will get a double on Wednesday.

That poor fullback.

Sam Walker.

Ipswich kid, IGS and just a natural footballer. Walker does things a veteran NRL half couldn't do. Kicks with both feet and throws a great pass. Given his family of two uncles and dad that played NRL and Gary played for Norths in 1980 GF it's not surprising.

Coates

Made his ISC debut last week with two tries, 7 tries in MM this year. Not as damaging as last year but he didn't have Dearden either and Tweed didn't go on a big win like they did last year. His run last year in the 18's got Queensland their first try.

Jack Howarth

Great footwork and just a big moving unit. Scored a terrific try against Norths in the MM. He just too robust for some U18 to stop. His two first two tries against the Jets were in the first 30 minutes. That's great for a forward. Taking the game away. Very similar to Fifita last year.

Walsh

I have liked him since the U16 Qld game last year, I think he will love playing with Walker who was injured last year and didn't play for Qld. I have been saying for 12 months what a leader Walsh was and how impressive he was. Walker and Walsh will combine for at least one try. Walker was great with his fullback all year and uses him a lot- Walsh moves well.

Last edited:
Walsh's 2 passes were the highlight for me in his video. Some of it reminds me of Ponga. Good to see that he can pop up on both edges too.

Last edited:
Opposed session today against Origin side, point has been made 12 months ago Fifita was you guys.

Queensland Under 18 winger Xavier Coates grew up playing club footy with Brisbane Broncos half Tom Dearden at the Currumbin Eagles and is now inspired to follow in the teenager’s footsteps.

Coates, contracted to the Broncos, has watched Dearden ascend from Palm Beach Currumbin High star last year to become the first choice half at the Broncos.

It is a remarkable rise and even more poignant for Coates considering he is also 18 years of age, like his good mate Dearden.

"I played with Tommy Dearden at the Currumbin Eagles in the under 16s and it is a pretty cool moment seeing one of my mates play first grade now and killing it," Coates said.

"Tommy has set the standard for us and shown that an 18-year-old can play at a high level in first grade and go really well.

"Seeing that gives me an aspiration to be like him and train as hard as he does because he really deserves it. He is going really well in his games and you can see that with the results the Broncos are getting.

"At the Eagles he was really good at setting me up for tries too."

Ready to roll: Tom Dearden highlights

>

Coates is well on track to follow in the footsteps of Dearden, who played under 18s for Queensland last year.

Well over six feet, the barnstorming winger is in hot form ahead of the showdown with New South Wales' Under 18 side at Suncorp Stadium on June 5.

Coates played for Tweed Seagulls in the Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup competition this year and scored a double in his side’s win in the national final against the Illawarra Steelers. One of those tries was a 90-metre one, where he ran around six players to score.

National Under 18 Championship Highlights: Tweed v Illawarra

>

Last week he made his Intrust Super Cup debut for the Seagulls, where he scored two tries in the win over the Northern Pride.

Coates, who can play wing or centre, has trained alongside Queensland Maroons winger Corey Oates at the Broncos, where he has learned plenty.

"Corey is a big body and he can get up and catch the high balls, and that is what I have aspired to do with my height – to use my athleticism to get up and catch the ball, as well as he does and use my speed to come in and take the hard runs like he does," Coates said.

"I do one-off sessions at the Broncos whenever they need me to come in. I take a lot out of them and bring that back to the emerging squad that I am a part of at the Broncos.

"I did a couple of sessions in pre-season and got a lot of knowledge from them. I’ve got another two years after this one with the Broncos. They told me at the start of the year and it is an unreal feeling to be at a club that wants you and wants to develop you as a player."

The Broncos showed their hand at how much they value Coates when they gave him his senior club debut in the trial win over Souths Logan Magpies in Warwick back in February.

'What a weapon!' - Xavier Coates

>

"It was my first game for the Broncos and a pretty surreal moment," Coates said.

"You never really think about it. You just go through the motions at training and hope for the best and when (Anthony Seibold) told me I was playing, I was pretty excited and told the family.

"They made the trip from the Gold Coast to Warwick to watch me play.

"I was pretty lucky. Coming into the game I thought I might get 10 minutes and just a feel for it, but I had 30 minutes at centre and was lucky to get a meat pie.

"It was a pretty good experience and I got to play with boys I’d admired growing up like Payne Haas, Tanah Boyd, Tom Dearden and some other big names."

Coates went to school at Marymount College in Burleigh - one not known for its rugby league program. It is where he learned to enjoy his footy with his good mates in a team that punched above its weight.

"We actually had a pretty decent side considering the circumstances and it was a good school to go to,” Coates said.

Born in Papua New Guinea, he is a diehard Queenslander steeped in Maroons tradition with retired legend Greg Inglis one of his idols.

"Watching him play Origin and how much effort and dedication he put in, and how much leadership he showed, is an inspiration to be like him," Coates said.

Coates is studying at Griffith University to be a teacher and training at the Broncos, a club he insists will get the best out of him.

"I’m sure that the Broncos will guide me along a path that is beneficial for my future years to come," Coates said.

He's such a happy, cheerful thankful young man. Camp started yesterday and he's terrific.

Last edited:
Queensland Under 18 winger Xavier Coates grew up playing club footy with Brisbane Broncos half Tom Dearden at the Currumbin Eagles and is now inspired to follow in the teenager’s footsteps.

Coates, contracted to the Broncos, has watched Dearden ascend from Palm Beach Currumbin High star last year to become the first choice half at the Broncos.

It is a remarkable rise and even more poignant for Coates considering he is also 18 years of age, like his good mate Dearden.

"I played with Tommy Dearden at the Currumbin Eagles in the under 16s and it is a pretty cool moment seeing one of my mates play first grade now and killing it," Coates said.

"Tommy has set the standard for us and shown that an 18-year-old can play at a high level in first grade and go really well.

"Seeing that gives me an aspiration to be like him and train as hard as he does because he really deserves it. He is going really well in his games and you can see that with the results the Broncos are getting.

"At the Eagles he was really good at setting me up for tries too."

>

Coates is well on track to follow in the footsteps of Dearden, who played under 18s for Queensland last year.

Well over six feet, the barnstorming winger is in hot form ahead of the showdown with New South Wales' Under 18 side at Suncorp Stadium on June 5.

Coates played for Tweed Seagulls in the Auswide Bank Mal Meninga Cup competition this year and scored a double in his side’s win in the national final against the Illawarra Steelers. One of those tries was a 90-metre one, where he ran around six players to score.

>

Last week he made his Intrust Super Cup debut for the Seagulls, where he scored two tries in the win over the Northern Pride.

Coates, who can play wing or centre, has trained alongside Queensland Maroons winger Corey Oates at the Broncos, where he has learned plenty.

"Corey is a big body and he can get up and catch the high balls, and that is what I have aspired to do with my height – to use my athleticism to get up and catch the ball, as well as he does and use my speed to come in and take the hard runs like he does," Coates said.

"I do one-off sessions at the Broncos whenever they need me to come in. I take a lot out of them and bring that back to the emerging squad that I am a part of at the Broncos.

"I did a couple of sessions in pre-season and got a lot of knowledge from them. I’ve got another two years after this one with the Broncos. They told me at the start of the year and it is an unreal feeling to be at a club that wants you and wants to develop you as a player."

The Broncos showed their hand at how much they value Coates when they gave him his senior club debut in the trial win over Souths Logan Magpies in Warwick back in February.

'What a weapon!' - Xavier Coates'What a weapon!' - Xavier Coates

>

"It was my first game for the Broncos and a pretty surreal moment," Coates said.

"You never really think about it. You just go through the motions at training and hope for the best and when (Anthony Seibold) told me I was playing, I was pretty excited and told the family.

"They made the trip from the Gold Coast to Warwick to watch me play.

"I was pretty lucky. Coming into the game I thought I might get 10 minutes and just a feel for it, but I had 30 minutes at centre and was lucky to get a meat pie.

"It was a pretty good experience and I got to play with boys I’d admired growing up like Payne Haas, Tanah Boyd, Tom Dearden and some other big names."

Coates went to school at Marymount College in Burleigh - one not known for its rugby league program. It is where he learned to enjoy his footy with his good mates in a team that punched above its weight.

"We actually had a pretty decent side considering the circumstances and it was a good school to go to,” Coates said.

Born in Papua New Guinea, he is a diehard Queenslander steeped in Maroons tradition with retired legend Greg Inglis one of his idols.

"Watching him play Origin and how much effort and dedication he put in, and how much leadership he showed, is an inspiration to be like him," Coates said.

Coates is studying at Griffith University to be a teacher and training at the Broncos, a club he insists will get the best out of him.

"I’m sure that the Broncos will guide me along a path that is beneficial for my future years to come," Coates said.

He's such a happy, cheerful thankful young man. Camp started yesterday and he's terrific.

Surely he will make his NRL next year?

Is he rated higher than Farnworth?

Different positions. Coates is a centre. Farnsworth is a fullback. Both will probably play wing at the start of their NRL careers though.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncos4life
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • bazza
  • Scorchie
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Painin the Haas
  • Tim K
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.