Rate The Competition 2017 Edition

I'm more confident in Mitchell than I am in French.

I can't see the Roosters struggling like they did this season and Mitchell should feed off of that. With the signing of Michael Gordon, he'll have less responsibility and should be able to showcase his finishing ability which is already among the best in the NRL.

With Ferguson likely on his inside, I expect the Roosters right fringe to be one of the most potent in the NRL in 2017.

With French, there's the real possibility that he may not even appear in Arthur's scheme. While that would be a mistake, if Arthur doesn't have any faith in French as a fullback and is concerned about defensive structures, French could find himself in Intrust Super Cup.

One piece of the puzzle with Parramatta will be the role Clinton Gutherson plays in 2017. One of the positives to emerge in the latter part of the season was Gutherson's form in the halves. For all we know, it could have just been beginner's luck more than a sign of things to come but he certainly looked better in the middle of the field than he did on the edges.

Where do you guys see Gutherson in 2017? Five-Eighth, Fullback or Centres?

Gutherson will play 5/8 and French will most certainly play fullback this year. Parra fans are extremely hopeful French is their next big thing at fullback. From what I have seen, I like the kid. He is raw (with regards to his defence) but **** me he knows how to find the try line which is very important especially if a team struggles in attack. If Parra are going to go any good next year, Norman is going to have to have a dally m season I think especially with Peats & Foran no longer there. The one bonus is that there forward pack is settled and decent.

Re Manly, even with Parcell, Manly weren't going to make the 8. Their forward pack is mediocre with other teams rejects (bar Taupau) and the backs are too. They are going to miss Lyon and Matai big time. They had big game experience. With the midgets on either side of the wings I expect the storm to absolutely annihilate them with an aerial assault. Green will help DCE with the pressure but the lack of forward pack laying the foundation will hurt them in the end.

I wouldn't have considered Manly certainties for the 8, but with that spine I could see them going on a run without ever challenging the top teams.

I'm less confident with Koroisau. They should be better than last year but I can't see them turning heads.

It maybe too early, but Manly have some props coming through that should address their seemingly weak rotation.

I'll be very disappointed if the Titans don't make the top 8.

It would be a travesty.

A lot will depend on Hayne's involvement at the club. He doesn't have to be brilliant, but he has to be selfless and trust in his team mates.

I feel more comfortable after the Vidot signing. The Titans were skinny in the backs and if nothing else he'll provide them with depth.

How many starting games will Wallace play? Let's go with 12 starting games, overs and unders?

Last edited:
It would be a travesty.

A lot will depend on Hayne's involvement at the club. He doesn't have to be brilliant, but he has to be selfless and trust in his team mates.

I feel more comfortable after the Vidot signing. The Titans were skinny in the backs and if nothing else he'll provide them with depth.

How many starting games will Wallace play? Let's go with 12 starting games, overs and unders?

Yeah their backline was decimated with several players released. It will be interesting to see how Sarginson goes in the centres. Looks a talent but we know the NRL is a much tougher comp than the Super League. Everything still depends on how the young halves go. I am pretty confident Hayne will be pretty darn good. Injuries tend to really hurt the Titans every year too.

I bet you would be.

Damn right I will be. They've finally got what looks like a top 8 worthy squad for the first time in years.

Yeah their backline was decimated with several players released. It will be interesting to see how Sarginson goes in the centres. Looks a talent but we know the NRL is a much tougher comp than the Super League. Everything still depends on how the young halves go. I am pretty confident Hayne will be pretty darn good. Injuries tend to really hurt the Titans every year too.

Damn right I will be. They've finally got what looks like a top 8 worthy squad for the first time in years.
Lucky you jumped on the bandwagon before most did.

Ashley Taylor will also be marked a lot more closely, will be interesting to see how he handles the second year syndrome.

Ashley Taylor will also be marked a lot more closely, will be interesting to see how he handles the second year syndrome.

I think most teams will be marking Hayne too much which should see the young halves thrive TBH.

I think most teams will be marking Hayne too much which should see the young halves thrive TBH.

Hayne will take some pressure off but have no doubt, teams will have looked at Taylor a lot more closely in the film tape now. Both him and Cleary wont have as much freedom as last year and teams will watch them more closely and try and bring a heavy amount of pressure.

It's never been a question of whether Hayne will thrive individually, rather will he be able to suit the dynamic of the team. In terms of talent, there's been few better in Rugby League than Jarryd Hayne, the issue has been his commitment and selfishness. If Hayne worries more about his own role in the team (support play, positioning, defence) the rest will follow. If he's only concerned about making big plays, the Titans could be in trouble.

I have my reservations on Sarginson, but Henry must see something in him. A very perculiar signing and he'll need to step up to buck the recent trend of English backs in the NRL...

Of all their signings, Wallace could prove to be the most pivotal. I doubt he left the Broncos simply so he could ride the pine at the Gold Coast, they've got plans for him in the starting side so it will be interesting to see how he measures up. To answer my own question (since nobody else seems to have the balls) I'm going to say unders and Wallace will be viewed as a bust. On the bench he was always solid for the Broncos but in the starting side he was often dominated and looked out of his depth.

BA confirmed that Bevan French will have first crack at fullback.

I have to say, that surprised me a little. I was expecting French to be on the wing.

Having a brief read through the Broncos draw...

Round 1 vs Cronulla (A)

It's always tough to beat the defending premiers, over the past 9 seasons, the defending premiers have won 7 games. In the two games where the defending premiers loss, there were extenuating circumstances. After a shocking start to the season where both Brett Stewart and Anthony Watmough were involved in seperate high profile incidents, the Canterbury Bulldogs put them to the sword 34-12. The other instance was a case of deja vu where South Sydney beat them 28-10, the exact same scoreline as the year prior in the exact same fixture.

Cronulla have never been stronger starters themselves, with a 1-7 record. Their lone win came against the Gold Coast Titans in 2013 and even that was a close 12-10 victory. Brisbane's record against Cronulla isn't all that great, winning only 1 game in their past 4 encounters. That win was in Round 2 of 2015, a game many considered one of the worst of that season where both teams struggled to get through their sets.

Verdict - Leaning towards a Cronulla victory in a close encounter. Their forward pack will be too tough to handle and questions will be asked of the Broncos big men.

Round 2 vs North Queensland (H)

Strap in for another blockbuster. Since 2009, there's only been one instance where the game has been decided by more than a converted try and both teams will be going into the game with a point to prove. Brisbane have won the past five fixtures at Suncorp and I tend to believe they'll get up here.

Round 3 vs Melbourne (A)

I dread our games against Melbourne, but the Broncos have enjoyed better success at AAMI than they have had at Suncorp. They're two from two against Melbourne in Melbourne and were well in the contest in 2014 until a late intercept try to Fonua sealed it for the Storm.

What could be interesting is that Melbourne could find themselves 0-2. They face Canterbury in Round 1 at Belmore, a fixture they usually struggle in and have to follow that up by going to Auckland and facing the Warriors in another clash that gives them headaches. Melbourne went through an upheavel and while they usually save their best for Brisbane, I'm quietly confident of the Broncos chances.

Round 4 vs Raiders (H)

The Raiders in Canberra are one thing, but at Suncorp they've usually struggled. They themselves have a tough draw to open the season with, facing the Cowboys in Townsville and the defending premiers at home (where the Sharks have won the past four encounters). While the opening three encounters could go either way, I'm confident the Broncos will win this game any means necessary.

Round 5 vs Bulldogs (A)

You just never know what you're going to get from Canterbury. One week they could look awful, the next they'll play with finals intensity and catch one of the better teams off their game. Toss of the dice, if the Broncos hold their own in defence they should have too many points in them for Canterbury.

I'm tipping this as a sink or swim moment for one of our young forwards. I'm expecting a checkered start from them, but it will be this game where you'll see tongues wagging for one of them.

Round 6 vs Roosters (H)

The Roosters are always a handful at home, even when they're supposed to be struggling like last season. Like they did a week prior against Cronulla, they came out guns a blazing and really caught our boys off guard. I'm expecting similar here as there's never been a regular season blow-out game between the two teams.

The Broncos ought to win, but it will be a struggle.

Round 7 vs Titans (H)

The Titans have never beaten the Broncos on the road. The one and only win at Suncorp was their first encounter against the Broncos, when the Titans 'hosted' the Broncos in 2007. Otherwise, it's been all Brisbane and despite all the hype and hooplah, the Broncos should win this one.

Round 8 vs Souths (A)

It seems like the pendulum has swung between these two teams with Brisbane holding a 3 game winning streak after Souths had four games on the Broncos. This is the ANZAC Weekend encounter which is always fiery but will be the first time the encounter is played outside of Suncorp.

Toss of the dice, Souths should be better this year and won't be as weak as the past two clashes at ANZ Stadium.

Round 9 vs Panthers (H)

The Broncos always struggle against Penrith, holding a 1-4 record in their past five encounters. The one win Brisbane recorded against Penrith happened at the death with Corey Oates scoring on the last play of a seven tackle set. Suffice to say, Penrith are going to be a pain in the arse and I'm leaning towards them making it a 1-5 for the Broncos.

Round 10 vs Sea Eagles (A) *Suncorp*

If there is one luxury the Broncos have been spared, it's no more NSW games against Manly. Brisbane have a horrific record against Manly in NSW losing their past four games. Thankfully in Brisbane it's a lot better with the Broncos scoring three consecutive comprehensive victories against Manly. I'm expecting a similar song and dance here.

Round 11 vs Tigers (H)

The Tigers may have won the corresponding fixture last season, but it was an Origin affected round. This time things are going to be different and I expect the Broncos to continue their impressive record against the Tigers. You may even see some Benji magic in this game.

Round 12 vs Warriors (A)

All the Origin players will be missing for this game. May as well pencil in the loss now.

That's where I'll leave it.

Touch wood but unless Brisbane suffer a horrific injury toll or something absolutely absurd happens, I've got the Broncos winning 8 of their opening 12 games, which is on par with last year and one less than 2015.

I'm actually confident about a win over Cronulla in round 1. The Sharks have lost Ennis to retirement and Barba to suspension so they will have to shake up their spine and replacing Ennis will be something they will have to work at. That will still be a tough game to win no doubt about it though.

Flanagan could go another way, but if he selects Holmes at fullback the Sharks won't miss out a lot. He's one of the most dangerous players in the game and his support play could prove the difference.

Replacing Ennis will be a difficult process and may ultimately prove their downfall, but they still have the combinations, ethic and class to get by. In the past, the Sharks have rolled over the Broncos and relied on their halves to be the difference. With one of the best in the biz manning the helm, they've got all of the ingredients.

Ok who made the voodoo doll of the knights, why not one of the Storm or Cowboys? seriously now Pauli Pauli injured hip and broken leg, could they actually go one worse in 2017?

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • GCBRONCO
  • westy316
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • RodF
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.