Re: Bird

Is it really a question? Unless his run of injuries continues, it's a no brainer to keep him instead of Boyd, be it as centre or 5/8, especially if Dearden devolops into the halfback we need.

injury prone players are just that until one day....they aren't...??

Who is to say next year Bird does stay injury free for the next 3 years..??....seen that happen plenty of times in the past...

In a struggling team he was arguably our best competitor....I really like that in a player....his value was enhanced in my view, and I reckon he was an absolute shoe-in as a centre for NSW...

Thats the type of talent we have on our books...versatile too; we need to do the best by him and find his full time role in this side. I reckon he could make a real go at left centre, if thats where Siebs reckons he can get a sustained run.

Theres a bit of Tonie Carroll about him there.....who here would have left Tunsa go after his injuries..??

Is there any actual news on his current mindset? Syd media keep reguritating the crap he might want to come back to Sydney but ive heard zero information about that. My link at the sharks says its not on the cards and my journo here hasn't heard peep about it! Buzz keeps sprouting crap but i think that's for his own agenda or to fill his air time.

@Wolfie @Mr Fourex @1910 ? Any insider stuff?

Last edited:
Why would he even want to go back to the sharks? They treated him like absolute crap once they found out he was leaving the first time around.

He's mentioned when he was injured last he wanted to go home but Wayne talked him out of it. I think he will bolt , maybe stick around next year to get his stocks up but will head south after. All his family are down there and I think he will go to Newcastle.

He's mentioned when he was injured last he wanted to go home but Wayne talked him out of it. I think he will bolt , maybe stick around next year to get his stocks up but will head south after. All his family are down there and I think he will go to Newcastle.

that was last year ... he is reportedly in a much better head space and in good spirits this year.

Who is to say next year Bird does stay injury free for the next 3 years..??....seen that happen plenty of times in the past...

In a struggling team he was arguably our best competitor....I really like that in a player....his value was enhanced in my view, and I reckon he was an absolute shoe-in as a centre for NSW...

Thats the type of talent we have on our books...versatile too; we need to do the best by him and find his full time role in this side. I reckon he could make a real go at left centre, if thats where Siebs reckons he can get a sustained run.

Theres a bit of Tonie Carroll about him there.....who here would have left Tunsa go after his injuries..??
This^^^
Personally, I love the term 'genuine footballer'
They seem to become more & more scarce every year.
Jack is a genuine footballer through & through.
Keep him

Is there any actual news on his current mindset? Syd media keep reguritating the crap he might want to come back to Sydney but ive heard zero information about that. My link at the sharks says its not on the cards and my journo here hasn't heard peep about it! Buzz keeps sprouting crap but i think that's for his own agenda or to fill his air time.

@Wolfie @Mr Fourex @1910 ? Any insider stuff?

As far as i know, and it's not a great deal, he's happy up here. The boys get on well with him these days I think.

One of our worst ever purchases. For what we're paying him, the return on investment has been absolutely zilch.

That's not say I don't think he can be a good player for us but for all his potential he's done sweet **** all in reality. If another club would take on his full salary, I'd let him go, but if not, we may as well keep him as he is a real competitor and a very good player. If he doesn't play at least 20 games next year, I'd certainly be looking to offload him at any price at that point.

I think he proved himself worthy of a big salary earlier this year: he was pretty much locked into a NSW centre spot before he went down. If we’re not going to lose anybody by keeping him for the remainder of his contract then where is the risk in hoping he comes good physically and repays us? He’s still young and has plenty to give. His acl was unfortunate considering he’d finally gotten his body to 100% after the sharks rooted him.

Mind you we have to be on red alert for the rorters or storm to somehow find 800k in their ‘cap’ to throw at Fifita. He loves the club, so I don’t think he’ll leave.

Last edited:

That is true, tedesco was injury prone in his early career at the tigers.

If he stays, we probably should chuck him at 5/8th next year, until we can find someone better. Staggs should stay at right centre and this will push Boyd to left centre. It's not ideal, but if I had to choose between Boyd and Bird in the halves, I'd go with Bird.

If he stays, we probably should chuck him at 5/8th next year, until we can find someone better. Staggs should stay at right centre and this will push Boyd to left centre. It's not ideal, but if I had to choose between Boyd and Bird in the halves, I'd go with Bird.

Bird in 1, Milf back to 6, Dearden 7, Turps/Seg 9 and Boyd and Staggs 4/3 with Glenn and Fifi on the flanks or Floating 3/4 when needed....Its a strong and capable lineup.

Mind you we have to be on red alert for the rorters or storm to somehow find 800k in their ‘cap’ to throw at Fifita. He loves the club, so I don’t think he’ll leave.

I wouldn't worry. The club can still work around the terrible deals of Boyd and Macca (Gillett a little bit longer and harder to work around but still have a gut feeling he'll retire in the next year or two) and backend a Fifita deal. He'll stay, he loves the club and Siebs won't want to lose him that's for sure!

As for Bird, he is a gun right centre, average left centre...pretty much the same as Staggs but probably three times the cost. His wage is the issue, not Bird's ability. He is a luxury to have, not a must have.

I think he proved himself worthy of a big salary earlier this year: he was pretty much locked into a NSW centre spot before he went down. If we’re not going to lose anybody by keeping him for the remainder of his contract then where is the risk in hoping he comes good physically and repays us? He’s still young and has plenty to give. His acl was unfortunate considering he’d finally gotten his body to 100% after the sharks rooted him.
I don't know if I would say "proved" he's really done nothing in a Broncos jersey except suck out 1.5m of our cap or thereabouts. But I do think you're right, if we're not battling for cap space (and I don't think we are) we may as well keep him and hope the injury curse is behind him and he becomes a consistent great player for us. He's probably more frustrated than anyone else barely taking the field for almost 2 years.

did he ever play there for the sharks..???...he is a strong runner and can hit in defence...id have to think about it; if Boyds the immovable object then wonder who is the best fit alongside Bird at the 7....be between Milf and Dearden/SoS...?

assuming that Boyds next years left centre here...

Last edited:
Bird in 1, Milf back to 6, Dearden 7, Turps/Seg 9 and Boyd and Staggs 4/3 with Glenn and Fifi on the flanks or Floating 3/4 when needed....Its a strong and capable lineup.
No way should we put him at 1 after his ACL , no the quickest as it was . We need pace at the back so milf stays imo

No way should we put him at 1 after his ACL , no the quickest as it was . We need pace at the back so milf stays imo

yes...have to agree the best way to have him re-injure is to play the 1.....so we want to avoid that...

centre or in the halves...wherever it is though...he really needs to stay there and develop. One of the real issues with so many injuries so early in his career is he has missed out on a lot of development time by playing; we need to accelerate this when he is back so I believe we choose his position for next year and thats all he plays...

Active Now

• marw
  • RolledOates
  • Browny
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.