"Real" scrums

How about the referee feeding the ball into the centre of the scrum? Kind of like what AFL umpires do for bounces and boundary throw-ins.

Joking!!

I remember when I was at school back in the days when scrums were still contests and we had this really awesome hooker in our team who won basically 90% of scrums either with or against the feed. The one comp the refs just kept penalising our team in most scrums and when the coach (my dad) questioned them as to what the penalties were all for they basically said "can't actually see it, but your hooker must be doing something against the rules because no-one is that good at winning scrums". I think that was just before real hooking became a dying art.

Frank the Tank said:
i reckon it should have a rule like the 40/20 for kicks into touch - if you do a GOOD kick that from inside your own half that dribbles into touch say within the 10m line, maybe something like a 50/10, they have a good old fashioned scrum where the ball MUST be put in the dead middle of the scrum or its a penalty to the team that kicked the ball. the team that was defending still gets an advantage by being able to feed the scrum, but the other team still has a chance at getting the ball.

[eusa_clap.gi Awesome suggestion imo. What Coxy said is spot-on, too - I still remember getting excited from a decent kick going into touch because it meant we could well get the ball back.

I reckon just make scrums contected again. Might get some bigger forwards back in the game!

The vast majority of scrums were won by the team feeding anyways, nearly a non-issue IMO. Just make sloppy fowards do their job again. plus it would stop this nonsense of having backrowers out of the scrum.

at least have whoever runs to form the scrum for a timeout make them stay in the scrum.

Would have some interesting backlines when a team needs to score in the dying minute.

mick! said:
[quote="Frank the Tank":uzb3qgj1]i reckon it should have a rule like the 40/20 for kicks into touch - if you do a GOOD kick that from inside your own half that dribbles into touch say within the 10m line, maybe something like a 50/10, they have a good old fashioned scrum where the ball MUST be put in the dead middle of the scrum or its a penalty to the team that kicked the ball. the team that was defending still gets an advantage by being able to feed the scrum, but the other team still has a chance at getting the ball.

[eusa_clap.gi Awesome suggestion imo. What Coxy said is spot-on, too - I still remember getting excited from a decent kick going into touch because it meant we could well get the ball back.[/quote:uzb3qgj1]

If there were 10/50, 30/30, 40/20, and 50/10 kicks that would also mean that the wingers would be permanently dropped back to guard the sidelines, meaning two less defenders in the line and a lot more linebreaks. It would make for pretty entertaining football.

Whats your idea then?

Make em contested or tap start with opp line 20 m back instead of 10 unless your on your tryline

Active Now

• sooticus
  • Big Del
  • Old Mate
  • phoenix
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • theshed
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • GCBRONCO
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.