"Real" scrums

M

mick

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I got a message from Coxy last night to the same effect while watching the Wallabies v Ireland test match.

See, there are so many people who whinge about our form of scrums in the NRL and yearn for the old days with "real" contests.

I flicked the test match on last night, and I reckon no less than 15 minutes of the entire match was spent re-setting scrums. It was scrappy, pointless, messy and boring. I hate the fact that many league scrums are reset too many times for what they are and think they should continue to be a quick move performed by both teams - but for all of their farking around last night getting them re-set, they still collapsed dozens of times, I don't think one was won against the head and I saw no decent set attacking play come from one. Yawn.

Union scrums are painful, they need a complete overhaul. The only good thing about them is that their physical nature means that all the forwards need to be in there so its backs v backs whereas in league its usually the best tacklers in the team stay out in the backline! It would be nice if we could find a happy medium between the to or just have a play-the-ball.

Touch.......Pause (they never pause) ENGAGE! What a joke.

I think they should just abolish scrums in league. Making them a contest will make it painful to watch. And there's no way to stop what ronnyd mentions about having your best defenders out of the scrum.

Just have a turnover.

I agree with getting rid of scrums but it will really take some of the excitement from our game. Remember the days Alf would fling it wide to Kevin Walters from the back of the scrum who would get Renouf on the outside of his man and the pearl would scream down the touchline to score? Scrums are the best chance for any team to attack but until they make them a contest and keep players in the scrum until the ball has been cleared (One of the worst parts of our game at the moment - I hate how they all break so early from the scrum) we will just see hit ups from scrums.

Just get the forwards to stand to one side out of the way for one play. LOL

Make the a contest of get rid of them. The problem with Aussie v. NZ scrums is the Wallabies just arn't strong enough.... ;-)

Thing that pissses me off, those who pack the scrum to stop time should be the ones to pack it when it goes down for real. And then make then contest it :-)

Nashy said:
Make the a contest of get rid of them. The problem with Aussie v. NZ scrums is the Wallabies just arn't strong enough.... ;-)

Aussies aren't strong enough against any front row!

Pffft. Dunning could easily eat his way through the opposition's scrum if he felt like it.

Aeetee said:
Thing that pissses me off, those who pack the scrum to stop time should be the ones to pack it when it goes down for real. And then make then contest it :-)

x 2. Totally agree with this. Hate seeing the back line rush to 'form' the scrum just to get the clock stopped then the forwards just wander their way over like Brown's Cows.

Browines gunna coach the Cowboys...WTF where did you hear this..... you heard it here first people, Browns Cows they shall be known as from now on....hahahahhaha haven't heard that saying in ages.

Do league teams actually do any scrum practice during training??

The probably don't practice considering how often they seem to screw it up.

Although, the refs are just waay too pedantic when it comes to scrums.

I think they should be scrapped. Why should u get a chance of getting the ball back if u knock it on anyway?

Agree re: knock ons and forward passes. I can understand their value when the ball was kicked into touch. Hence why in old footage the crowd went wild when kicks dribbled into touch just short of the try line. Your team had a chance to get the ball in an attacking position.

Not the case anymore.

I would love to see scrums be a contest in league again like the good old days. I haven't been a fan of it since it has changed. Been wishing for it to go like afew others here.

How about meeting the argument half way. Scrap the scrum when it's a knock on or forward pass, opposition can take a tap or something. When it's a kick for touch, bring on the scrum and make a contest out of it. That certainly would be exciting for everyone.

Active Now

• Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.