Redcliffe trial v Sharks

Interesting notes:

* Moses Pangai not selected at all (Shows he's probably last on the outside back depth charts)
* Korbin Sims named on the bench, behind Ofahengaue, Pangai Jr, Ese'ese & Arrow
* Sam Thaiday rested
* Josh McGuire tweaked hamstring, won't play
* Kodi Nikorima, Tom Opacic & Mitchell Dodds recovering from off-season surgery

Last edited:
BRONCOS NRL TEAM to play Cronulla Sharks - Saturday February 4 at 7.15pm

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Nikau Terupe
3. Marion Seve
4. Tautau Moga
5. David Mead
6. Sam Scarlett
7. Ben Hunt
8. Joe Ofahengaue
9. Travis Waddell
10. Herman Ese’ese
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai jnr
13. Jai Arrow

Interchange:

14. Todd Murphy
15. George Fai
16. Aaron Rockley
17. Salesi Funaki
18. Korbin Sims
19. Corey Allan

Guess we were both wrong about where Corey Allen would be.

Interesting notes:

* Moses Pangai not selected at all (Shows he's probably last on the outside back depth charts)
* Korbin Sims named on the bench, behind Ofahengaue, Ese'ese & Arrow
* Sam Thaiday, Josh McGuire rested?

Josh McGuire tweaked his hamstring today.

I thought they would name a 20's trial squad along with the first grade one...

Guess we were both wrong about where Corey Allen would be.

Ha, yeah. I'm keen to see how Isaako goes at fullback, I've really liked the little I've seen of him, he's got some speed.

Ha, yeah. I'm keen to see how Isaako goes at fullback, I've really liked the little I've seen of him, he's got some speed.

Same. Has looked pretty good in the little I have seen of him. Don't think fullback is his position though, better at centre.

Pangai Jr in the back row interesting and im hoping for a big games out of Moga, Ofahengaue, Seve and Ese'Ese because I want to see them get a run this year.

Ofa and Ese'ese starting against a solid sharks pack will be a nice test

Ordinarily I wouldn't read a lot into the opening trial of the season, but considering who is involved I'm prepared to make an exception.

Not only is this an opportunity for players on both sides to get some match fitness, this could also determine positions in the World Club Championship side and ultimately the Round 1 side.

Last year, it was Greg Eden who made the most of his opportunity, producing a eye-catching performance against the Cowboys at Bundaberg. While he failed to make the most of the opportunity during the season, that one performance put him in the conversation and inspired Bennett to give him a shot.

Who could it be this year?

Will it be the versatile Jamayne Isaako? The former Cronulla Shark endured a mixed season in his first season at Red Hill and will be looking to make up for lost time. In the Broncos one and only televised NYC game, Isaako produced his best performance of the season, walking away with an impressive 22 point haul. If Jamayne can channel his raw talent and work on his technical ability, it will be only a matter of time before he finds himself in first grade.

After a long lay-off, Te Rupe made his long awaited return in the NYC where he helped Brisbane secure one of their most impressive wins of the season, 38-12 against eventual finalists Wests. Wasting little time, Te Rupe was promoted to the Intrust Super Cup in Round 18 against the Seagulls. While it was far from an ideal debut, Te Rupe persevered finishing the season with a positive six tries from six games. With his ability to make strong carries, Te Rupe has a foot in the door and if he can eliminate his habit of making errors he could find himself in the first grade side sooner rather than later.

Once rated as two of the brightest prospects coming through, centres Marion Seve and Tautau Moga enter Saturday's game with a point to prove. Seve turned heads on multiple occasions last season and was brought in as cover on a number of occasions. With a season under his belt, one gets the feeling that if he's going to get a shot, 2017 is the year. Meanwhile his centres partner Moga fought back from another debilitating knee injury that has plagued his career thus far. Although unlikely, if Moga can hit the ground running he could build a strong combination with his former St Peters alumni Anthony Milford on that left edge.

Up-front, it's a shoot-out between Ofahengaue and Ese'ese. Between the two, you have two different styles of prop. Ofahengaue is the tradesmen, he will cart the ball up and his first carry will be as strong as his last. Ese'ese on the other hand is a wild card in the Sam Kasiano mould. He never dies wondering and has the capacity to be a one man gang.

With McGuire being rested for the WCC, Saturday's game shapes as one of the most important in Arrow's career. The former Gold Coast product is one of the best workhorses emerging and given the limited interchanges, his progress as a player will be important for the Broncos moving forward.

Then you've got players who could feature down the line. George Fai has matured into a damaging bench player with his combination of strength and mobility. Meanwhile Corey Allan is one of the most exciting talents coming through the ranks and has the opportunity to impress the coach and potentially net himself an opportunity during the Origin season.

I can't say I've seen half of those Sharks players play very often, but I think we win this game.

Interesting to see the big names playing for the sharks. You'd imagine guys like Gallen and Fifita (even bukuya and tagaatese) wouldn't need much of a hitout been seasoned nrl players so I'd expect limited game time from them however will be a great hitout for our young pack starting against them.
Generally these early trials are very weak composing of under 20's and second string guys but it's good to see some stars playing. Will be interesting to see Moga playing in the centres, I believe if there's anyone who will surprise us or if you like a smokey this guy is an absolute beast who when fully fit is 100% an nrl starter. I think if he (and it's a big if) he plays his best football he definitely could get Waynes attention.

On another's note good too see Wayne staying in Australia to watch the trial, again it really highlights thst it's not just a hitout for fitness purposes but there really are a number of spots up for grabs!

Interesting to see the big names playing for the sharks. You'd imagine guys like Gallen and Fifita (even bukuya and tagaatese) wouldn't need much of a hitout been seasoned nrl players so I'd expect limited game time from them however will be a great hitout for our young pack starting against them.
Generally these early trials are very weak composing of under 20's and second string guys but it's good to see some stars playing. Will be interesting to see Moga playing in the centres, I believe if there's anyone who will surprise us or if you like a smokey this guy is an absolute beast who when fully fit is 100% an nrl starter. I think if he (and it's a big if) he plays his best football he definitely could get Waynes attention.

On another's note good too see Wayne staying in Australia to watch the trial, again it really highlights thst it's not just a hitout for fitness purposes but there really are a number of spots up for grabs!

I'd say the forwards is what he wants to see

With McGuire being rested for the WCC, Saturday's game shapes as one of the most important in Arrow's career. The former Gold Coast product is one of the best workhorses emerging and given the limited interchanges, his progress as a player will be important for the Broncos moving forward.

This is the most interesting story line for me. We've all pretty much pencilled McGuire in to that starting lock role, but if Arrow comes out and runs for 150 metres and makes 40 tackles against a nearly full strength Sharks forward pack, we may have to re-consider that.

Once rated as two of the brightest prospects coming through, centres Marion Seve and Tautau Moga enter Saturday's game with a point to prove. Seve turned heads on multiple occasions last season and was brought in as cover on a number of occasions. With a season under his belt, one gets the feeling that if he's going to get a shot, 2017 is the year. Meanwhile his centres partner Moga fought back from another debilitating knee injury that has plagued his career thus far. Although unlikely, if Moga can hit the ground running he could build a strong combination with his former St Peters alumni Anthony Milford on that left edge.

Up-front, it's a shoot-out between Ofahengaue and Ese'ese. Between the two, you have two different styles of prop. Ofahengaue is the tradesmen, he will cart the ball up and his first carry will be as strong as his last. Ese'ese on the other hand is a wild card in the Sam Kasiano mould. He never dies wondering and has the capacity to be a one man gang.

St Peter Claver College not St.Peters.

Joe went there too. Joe and Seve are in the Jets' allocation not Souths' allocation anymore. Joe v Herman will happen this year if they're not playing NRL.

St Peter Claver College not St.Peters.

Joe went there too. Joe and Seve are in the Jets' allocation as well not Souths' allocation anymore. Joe v Herman will happen this year if they're not playing NRL.
Joe will be, Herman probably too...

Good team we've named there for a trial game, having Hunt around at least means that the young fellas will have some experience there to guide them. Hope Mead shows something that will lock him in for Round 1.

Looking at that Sharks team I really don't understand why they are bringing Maloney, Gallen, Holmes and Fifita we all know that they are easily good/great enough and they don't need to risk themselves in this game. The only reason why I imagine Maloney would be there is because Flanagan might already have got Mortimer as his first choice dummy half and wants to give him some experience with Maloney.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncorob
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Santa
  • lynx000
  • Spoon
  • Broncosgirl
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • BroncoFan94
  • winslow_wong
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • Waynesaurus
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Wendall Taylor
  • theshed
... and 29 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.