-NEWS- Reece is the word

BroncsFan

State of Origin Rep
Yeah let’s be real titans aren’t gonna get rid of Brimson for Walsh at this rate, same goes for knights with ponga... cowboys don’t need a fullback... warriors, dragons and Tigers are not threatening what so ever and Roosters have Teddy to be succeeded by Suallii so they already got the next shiny thing
Forgot about Suallii, but this is the prime time to lock Walsh down.

Most teams have fullback sorted, except us... we should use this to our advantage and lock him down.

Upgrade his 2022 contract and extend to 2023... 4-5yr contract halfway through next year pending how he's going as our starting fullback.

theshed

Return of the Mac

Most teams have fullback sorted, except us... we should use this to our advantage and lock him down.

Upgrade his 2022 contract and extend to 2023... 4-5yr contract halfway through next year pending how he's going as our starting fullback.
Teams can’t even approach him until November. Give him half a season against men before extending him, and if he does make an NRL debut and continues to kill it, sure chuck a 3 year deal his way.

BroncsFan

State of Origin Rep
Teams can’t even approach him until November. Give him half a season against men before extending him, and if he does make an NRL debut and continues to kill it, sure chuck a 3 year deal his way.
They can talk to him, but he can't sign a contract until November.

That same approach is what we do now and is working so well with Fifita, Staggs, Coates, Dearden and Piakura.

Also worked well with Milf letting his contract dwindle down to the final 12 months before offering a 4yr $1m contract. Lodge, Offa, Turpin, Oates, etc. were all in the final year of their contract before we scrambled around and gave them a contract, which most of the time was overs

Good teams identify the talent and lock them down before letting them become available to the market... Upgrading his 2022 contract to a starter salary and extending for a further 12 months is minimal risk for a guy that has basically been identified as the starting fullback as early as next year.

We should've done the same for Piakura the second Fifita walked out the door... we literally have 2 second rowers on the books in Glenn and Riki. Glenn is likely retired next year (or re-signed out of desperation) and Riki is unproven (and was also a middle forward coming through). Oates is now being transitioned to a second rower out of desperation, and Bullemor is a middle forward who should be spending the year in ISC.

Everyone knows Piakura will be the starting left second rower next year when Glenn goes, he may even take it this year... so why not lock him down on starter cash with an extension to give us a bit of time scout him out... and by starter cash I mean $300k or so.

We have a shit load of cap space for 2022 onwards... if it's known these young guys are going to be the starters next year if not this year then why not lock them down.

Last edited:

theshed

Return of the Mac
They can talk to him, but he can't sign a contract until November.

That same approach is what we do now and is working so well with Fifita, Staggs, Coates, Dearden and Piakura.

Also worked well with Milf letting his contract dwindle down to the final 12 months before offering a 4yr $1m contract. Lodge, Offa, Turpin, Oates, etc. were all in the final year of their contract before we scrambled around and gave them a contract, which most of the time was overs

Good teams identify the talent and lock them down before letting them become available to the market... Upgrading his 2022 contract to a starter salary and extending for a further 12 months is minimal risk for a guy that has basically been identified as the starting fullback as early as next year.

We should've done the same for Piakura the second Fifita walked out the door... we literally have 2 second rowers on the books in Glenn and Riki. Glenn is likely retired next year (or re-signed out of desperation) and Riki is unproven (and was also a middle forward coming through). Oates is now being transitioned to a second rower out of desperation, and Bullemor is a middle forward who should be spending the year in ISC.

Everyone knows Piakura will be the starting left second rower next year when Glenn goes, he may even take it this year... so why not lock him down on starter cash with an extension to give us a bit of time scout him out... and by starter cash I mean $300k or so.

We have a shit load of cap space for 2022 onwards... if it's known these young guys are going to be the starters next year if not this year then why not lock them down.
Maybe I misread. I entirely agree with extending him at some point well before November for a further 12 months to hold of the vultures and then look to further extend it if he continues his trajectory. I thought the post was saying we should rush to give him a 4 year deal.

Last edited:

BroncsFan

State of Origin Rep
Maybe I misread. I entirely agree with extending him at some point well before November for a further 12 months to hold of the vultures and then look to further extend it if he continues his trajectory. I thought the post was saying we should rush to give him a 4 year deal.
Nah, but he needs to be extended to 2023 at some point this year to protect from the vultures whilst every other team is pretty well sorted for fullback.

This year I'd want him playing a full year of ISC... and look to upgrade his current 2022 contract to a starter/top 30 + extend it to end of 2023

In 2022 he's likely the starting fullback... at that point we would've seen him playing a full year of ISC and can see how he's going in NRL. If he's killing it then look to extend on a 4yr deal or so

Last edited:

Fitzy

QCup Player

Oh yeah I wasn’t disagreeing with you at all I actually really agreed I just was stating that on this occasion their really isn’t that much threat from other clubs

Fitzy

QCup Player
If you watch Reece Walsh’s interview after the game... two things that make that performance so much better... 1. First game in 16 months and 2. That’s the first time he has ever played against grown men.... I’m sorry but some of you are skeptic so that might have been a one off, I highly doubt that

McHunt

NRL Captain
Sunshine Coast
If you watch Reece Walsh’s interview after the game... two things that make that performance so much better... 1. First game in 16 months and 2. That’s the first time he has ever played against grown men.... I’m sorry but some of you are skeptic so that might have been a one off, I highly doubt that

The screen grab I posted here - do watch it on the video - this is the guy he jersey slung. No kid:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Billd0856

Twitter