Refereeing State of Origin

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013
Well done Mal on asking the referee boss, Tony Archer, what the hell we are going to get this year. Will it be game two or game three last year? I hope Mal received an assurance that it will be normal NRL standard . Surly the general public deserve the same assurance.

One thing that worries me is the reversal of refereeing policy on high shots in recent weeks. The way I read it if a player stays down after a high tackle , it is up to the video ref to adjudicate if it is a reportable offence and if it is then and only then it will warrant a penalty.

As we know NSW always come out with plenty of high stuff . So it will be up to the video refs to deem if NSW get penalized. It all adds up to even more high shots then ever..

I suppose we can also expect NSW to put in their usual amount of grub work on the tackled player ie facial massages etc. It's funny how the NSW based refs ignore that stuff in the clinch games (eg Game 2 last year ) and start to ref properly when the series is won.

As usual we can expect Rabs and Gould to turn a blind eye to every NSW grub act.

Funny how we never have warm and fuzzy first names for refs like we do with just about every player.
Jezza Sutton and Benny Cummins with video refs Bernie Sutton and Lukey General Patten ! Just doesn't sound right...random thought

Funny how we never have warm and fuzzy first names for refs like we do with just about every player.
Jezza Sutton and Benny Cummins with video refs Bernie Sutton and Lukey General Patten ! Just doesn't sound right...random thought

We still have nicknames though. Dickhead, wanker, useless, etc. :-p

I have a nickname for Adam Devchich. Pretty obvious though..

Why don't the refs use their real names? Like Kevin "Shayne" Hayne

Interesting stat- first time since 1997 that a Queenslander has had an on-field role in an Origin game- Suttor is the first since Eddie Ward did game 3 1997.

Suttor is the touchie.

Why don't the refs use their real names? Like Kevin "Shayne" Hayne

Well technically he was using his real name as he changed it. Still interested to know why though.
[MENTION=8272]1910[/MENTION] should know, he knows everything.

Referees should be applauded for doing a thankless job. Somebody's gotta do it.

That said, to be the best in that field it seems to take a fairly egotistical personality. To rise to the top of that bunch would take some serious, maniacal personality traits.

You can only assume that such a personality would want to make a stance on the biggest night in the NRL calendar or to make a controversial decision despite or in spite of the pressure of the occasion.

Hence just the ridiculous decisions that seem to come out of Origin matches.

And the fix was on last year for a NSW series win. Nothing overtly as far as saying "here's is a bag full of cash to make NSW win" but every powerbroker, decision maker, tv rights holder, NSW born management everyone knew that "this is the year" because we can't let the bastards win 10. Let's take every marginally legal advantage or pressure point and hammer it for all its worth.

And the fix was on last year for a NSW series win. Nothing overtly as far as saying "here's is a bag full of cash to make NSW win" but every powerbroker, decision maker, tv rights holder, NSW born management everyone knew that "this is the year" because we can't let the bastards win 10. Let's take every marginally legal advantage or pressure point and hammer it for all its worth.[/QUOTE]

I agree . Game 2 last year was the clincher. No attempt to moderate NSW grub work on the tackled player and a skinny 10 meters and just a ridiculous leeway given to the Blues in the hold down all made it fairly obvious Qld were not meant to win that night.I think there is a fair chance tonight will be the same.

The refs did a good job under the current rules of the game.

Refs were good imo, can't think of any real clangers. I do like the fact they're getting advice from video refs re: knockons, it's good and takes 5 seconds to ensure a correct call (even if the one I'm thinking of gave NSW possession).

Refs were good imo, can't think of any real clangers. I do like the fact they're getting advice from video refs re: knockons, it's good and takes 5 seconds to ensure a correct call (even if the one I'm thinking of gave NSW possession).

What I didn't like about this was that it was only referred upstairs after complaints from NSW, why didn't the play-the-ball infringement on Nate Miles get the same treatment?

I'm happy if they head down this path, but only if the ref is unsure and it's not because the players complain. I don't think the video ref should be just jumping in when he feels like it either.

What I didn't like about this was that it was only referred upstairs after complaints from NSW, why didn't the play-the-ball infringement on Nate Miles get the same treatment?

I'm happy if they head down this path, but only if the ref is unsure and it's not because the players complain. I don't think the video ref should be just jumping in when he feels like it either.

Yeah I thought they changed the rule so the captain can only ask questions during the break in play but the last few years NSW get it checked by having their whole team whinge at the ref.

Active Now

• teampjta
  • tajhay
  • Big Del
  • BruiserMk1
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  • Midean
  • Foordy
  • FACTHUNT
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Culhwch
  • Fitzy
  • davidp
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • winslow_wong
  • I bleed Maroon
  • lynx000
  • Johnny92
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.