Renouf praises Croft and Broncos surprise start

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2020/04/22/renouf-praises-croft-and-broncos-surprise-start/

Brisbane legend Steve Renouf has heaped praise on the club’s winning start to 2020, saying the young team is embracing the pride in the Broncos jersey.

Renouf, the try-scoring ace rated by most as the Broncos’ greatest-ever centre, has not been backward in handing out blunt assessments of the club’s performances in recent years – but he likes what he sees from the current Broncos crop.

Brisbane, the youngest team in the NRL, will hit the ground running for the May 28 NRL competition resumption after the COVID-19 lockdown as one of six unbeaten teams with a 2-0 record.

Renouf said the arrival of halfback Brodie Croft had played a part in the Broncos strong start to the year – even after he sat out the bulk of the Round 2 win over Souths with an AC joint injury.

“The way they started the year, they totally surprised me,” said Renouf. “It was a massive turnaround. Brodie Croft has made a big difference.

Renouf’s opinion of his beloved club wasn’t so flattering at the end of last season, and he admitted tipping against them in the season opener against the Cowboys in Townsville.

But now Renouf is backing Brisbane to pick up where they left off in 2020, even if that means it puts more pressure on the current crop of young players.

Renouf said he felt for the current Broncos who must live with high expectations but believed they should embrace it, saying it came with the territory when you pulled on a Broncos jersey.

“I do feel for them and the pressure (to win premierships) they go through as a Bronco,” Renouf said.

“But it is a privilege to be there. I was fortunate to be one of the players who helped build that legacy with six premierships.

“A lot of the guys who won those titles back then had been there from day dot. We put a lot into those titles.

“Now we want these guys to be proud of the jersey, to embrace it.”

It was a great start but fucking hell it was only two games. Let’s not get too excited, Pearl.
To be fair to the Pearl he has shown himself to be a pretty open, straight to the pointer commentator prior to the start of the season and wasn't afraid to be blunt. I think he is more excited about the attitude shown for the side particularly from the youngsters considering the circumstances then the wins themselves he said himself he didn't expect them to win against the Cowboys. He also highlights that they still need to embrace the jersey(or team spirit in otherwords) because the expectations are high with what comes with wearing it, I hardly think he thinks the jobs is done. The young forwards did a hell of a job in the absence of more experienced ones and the young backs stepped up as well, and Croft with hefty weight on his shoulders showed he could carry burden allowing Milford to play his natural game.

Still got a long way to go don't get me wrong, but I think he makes valid points there.

Last edited:
It was a great start but fucking hell it was only two games. Let’s not get too excited, Pearl.
Two games means a lot in a reduced competition now though.. usually 26 rounds but now it'll be 15. So we've technically won the equivalent of 3 or 4 games straight

Let's beat Melbourne by 20+ points then celebrate..
Beating them would be a great sign, beating them by 20+ is a tad unrealistic for a side that has struggled to beat the Storm in the best of times over the years.

Last edited:
It isn't just the wins though, the side looked really good in both games, something that has not been the case since 2015. They have won a lot of games in the years in between sure, but a lot of the time it was not pretty to watch. It has changed this year.

It isn't just the wins though, the side looked really good in both games, something that has not been the case since 2015. They have won a lot of games in the years in between sure, but a lot of the time it was not pretty to watch. It has changed this year.
I agree. They looked really dangerous with ball in hand and the last tackle options were unlike anything that we have seen in the past five years. The defensive line is still a little bendable but that is always commonplace in young sides. It's only two games but there were some good signs there.

A reduced mini comp with SOO at the end of the season will suit them as they won't suffer that end of the year burnout which has plagued Bronco sides since their existence. They certainly won't win the comp but they may make a little noise.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • BroncoFan94
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • Culhwch
  • Jazza
  • Sproj
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • jd87
  • Broncorob
  • Shane Tronc
  • Financeguy
  • Mister Wright
  • Dash
  • Lurker
  • winslow_wong
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.