Renouf's Hunt fear: 'He could cost Brisbane a title'

It does highlight the unfairness of the barages of criticism the Hunt defenders on this forum heap on any who dare to say anything similar.

A poor kicking game is a major problem in a modern halfbacks game and that same skill is fundamental to a overall ability to control a game. Several of us have been saying it for quite a long time without seeing improvements.

So if Renouf was a contributor to BHQ he too would have been slammed for his uninformed opinion.

Well none of that ever happened. People, especially me were pissed off with how often the topic was brought up. Everyone agreed that his kicking game wasn't very good, but it was proven to not be as bad as was made out with video evidence.

Well none of that ever happened. People, especially me were pissed off with how often the topic was brought up. Everyone agreed that his kicking game wasn't very good, but it was proven to not be as bad as was made out with video evidence.
Oh I agree that a great deal of criticism of Hunt was unwarranted. He has many strengths which at times has overshadowed the poorer aspects. My personal view is that Hunt has a fragility other than his game control. That said I think Hunts an excellent first grade halfback.

I'll bet $100 someone will post that he already has cost Broncos a title.
Okay I will put my hand up. He cost us a title.

renouf is a deadset legend so i'll just agree with whatever he says.

love you pearl <3
I agree with the first part of your statement, but not the second. Pearl chooses his words wisely, if you follow him on Twitter he recently posted a picture of himself with Alf and WB and he said he was with two of his former mentors and leaders but one of the is "questionable". :porthozthinksthisishot:

It's refreshing to see someone actually stand up and call him out instead of the constant flow of sympathisers we usually get. Good on ya pearl.
Yes sometimes the truth is hurtful and people would rather bury their heads in the sand, see that a lot here.

“But I’m confident if he puts the practice in he will get to where the team needs him to be.”

Shouldn't he have done this by now?????
Exactly. People talk about how x player has only been iN the team for x years or with the same playing group for x amount of time. How much is "that time" that is given until a player reaches their potential. I think Hunt has played the best he has ever played or possibly can play, he won't get any better and hopefully not much worse, but it comes down to the skills of the players.
Yes practice makes perfect, or so they say, but to use a racing analogy you cannot expect a horse that went okay in the bush to be brought into the City and expect it to perform to those levels, some of them can and do, but it is because they were good enough in the first place, not because they were brought into that environment.
That is the problem with our team, just because someone is in a position that was once or in Brisbane's case, usually filled with superstars does not mean that when you put someone else in that position they are going to be anywhere near as good or have as much of an impact.
Peter Wallace was a perfect example of that, everyone talking him up, then each year it was becoming more and more apparent how ordinary he was. Best thing for Brisbane will be when Hunt gets on the bus to his retirement village in Sydney, good luck to him but to me he was and still is an over rated pipe dream that never showed the potential many believed he had.
He is playing as good as he possibly can, he won't get any better.

Yeah nah. The pearl WAS the best centre, until a better bloke come along. Hodges IS the Bronco's greatest centre and always will be. Heaps better at sledging too.
Don't know about that, I am a massive Hodges fan and he was one tough and talented mofo who could turn a game around and could be brutal in defence as well, his only weakness was over playing the dummy half role.
Renouf on the other hand I think had the best balance of any footballer I have ever seen, he was so fast and able to just run outside his opposition and receive the inevitable ball from Kevin Walters that opened the other teams up, he also was clinical in defense, not a hard hitter but he always positioned himself perfectly. Both great centres IMO.

Who has actually liked the posts jd123 wrote

Hodges was THE best dummy-half runner. Opposition teams would scream out "Hodgo" whenever he went in to grab it, everyone would be on Defcon 3, ready for it, and he'd STILL beat the first two defenders and drag a third for 20 metres.

He was guilty of pushing Macca out of the way a few times towards the end of 2014, mostly out of frustration (with the team, not Macca) but what he lost in speed he made up with smarts and was a machine again in 2015 from dummy half.

@abashii you misunderstand. Hodges is by far the best. Renouf was better as a "centre" on that that was his main position. Hodgo doesn't qualify for that as he was not limited to just centre, he was even beastlier from fullback.

Okay I will put my hand up. He cost us a title.

I agree with the first part of your statement, but not the second. Pearl chooses his words wisely, if you follow him on Twitter he recently posted a picture of himself with Alf and WB and he said he was with two of his former mentors and leaders but one of the is "questionable". :porthozthinksthisishot:

Yes sometimes the truth is hurtful and people would rather bury their heads in the sand, see that a lot here.

Exactly. People talk about how x player has only been iN the team for x years or with the same playing group for x amount of time. How much is "that time" that is given until a player reaches their potential. I think Hunt has played the best he has ever played or possibly can play, he won't get any better and hopefully not much worse, but it comes down to the skills of the players.
Yes practice makes perfect, or so they say, but to use a racing analogy you cannot expect a horse that went okay in the bush to be brought into the City and expect it to perform to those levels, some of them can and do, but it is because they were good enough in the first place, not because they were brought into that environment.
That is the problem with our team, just because someone is in a position that was once or in Brisbane's case, usually filled with superstars does not mean that when you put someone else in that position they are going to be anywhere near as good or have as much of an impact.
Peter Wallace was a perfect example of that, everyone talking him up, then each year it was becoming more and more apparent how ordinary he was. Best thing for Brisbane will be when Hunt gets on the bus to his retirement village in Sydney, good luck to him but to me he was and still is an over rated pipe dream that never showed the potential many believed he had.
He is playing as good as he possibly can, he won't get any better.

Don't know about that, I am a massive Hodges fan and he was one tough and talented mofo who could turn a game around and could be brutal in defence as well, his only weakness was over playing the dummy half role.
Renouf on the other hand I think had the best balance of any footballer I have ever seen, he was so fast and able to just run outside his opposition and receive the inevitable ball from Kevin Walters that opened the other teams up, he also was clinical in defense, not a hard hitter but he always positioned himself perfectly. Both great centres IMO.
I have seen only one other who moved as well as Renouf and that was Steve Rogers. I am a Hodges fan but he was no where near the same league as the two listed above.

I have seen only one other who moved as well as Renouf and that was Steve Rogers. I am a Hodges fan but he was no where near the same league as the two listed above.

Hodges in 2005-2007 was pretty amazing. Running off locky, combining with khunt and later on with jyy. That right hand side was pretty potent

Hodges in 2005-2007 was pretty amazing. Running off locky, combining with khunt and later on with jyy. That right hand side was pretty potent
Now your bringing back painful memories. JYY should be our RH centre now

Hodges was THE best dummy-half runner. Opposition teams would scream out "Hodgo" whenever he went in to grab it, everyone would be on Defcon 3, ready for it, and he'd STILL beat the first two defenders and drag a third for 20 metres.

He was guilty of pushing Macca out of the way a few times towards the end of 2014, mostly out of frustration (with the team, not Macca) but what he lost in speed he made up with smarts and was a machine again in 2015 from dummy half.

@abashii you misunderstand. Hodges is by far the best. Renouf was better as a "centre" on that that was his main position. Hodgo doesn't qualify for that as he was not limited to just centre, he was even beastlier from fullback.
It's a shame we didn't get to see more of Hodgo at fullback, I reckon he would have easily been one of the best ever in the position. If only his body didn't let him down, he could have been even better than he was, which is crazy.

Hunt IMO is a 9/10 Half Back the only thing missing from his repertoire is his kicking game, when he gets that right he'll be one of the greatest HBs in the game. His defence for his size is some of the best I've seen for a 7, he's one of the only HBs that can bring down a mountain PR on his own and he never really shies away from contact. When he does choose to run the ball he has such a strong centre of gravity that it makes him very difficult to bring down that mixed with his speed and vision allows him to break the line almost effortlessly. He's obviously lacking a bit of confidence but once he finds it or if he finds it at all (I hope he does) he'll be the fish that got away. It's such a shame to see such talent walk out of the club especially when he's been with the Broncos since the Under 20s.
FMD I never Buck could type *multitalentedhorse*

Unread

Active Now

• Justwin
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Dazza 92
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • HarryAllan7
  • Bongo
  • Porthoz
  • Lozza
  • Fitzy
  • ostin86
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.