Renouf's Hunt fear: 'He could cost Brisbane a title'

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRONCOS legend Steve Renouf fears Ben Hunt’s kicking game could cost Brisbane a premiership and has called for Darren Lockyer to help the under-pressure halfback.

Renouf believes Hunt could benefit from some urgent mentoring from Lockyer as the Broncos prepare for their season-opener against Cronulla this Thursday night.

Under Brisbane’s restructured offence, Hunt will be ordered to run at every opportunity, but it is his general-play kicking that could make-or-break the Broncos’ season.

Hunt struggled for consistency with his kick options last season and Renouf urged coach Wayne Bennett to send an SOS for Lockyer, one of the Broncos’ great playmaking tacticians.

“Ben Hunt is not working on his kicking game hard enough,” said Renouf, Brisbane’s greatest centre.

“Ben is a very good attacking player but he needs to work on his kicking game, which has not been good for some time.

“Any team that doesn’t have a good kicking game in the modern era is going to struggle. That’s one thing the Broncos really have to fix, Ben is a talented guy but if Brisbane want to win the comp his kicking game needs to be better.

“I think Ben should consider reaching out to ‘Locky’ and get some help.

“He needs to look to some of the club’s great kickers and Locky was as good as it gets.”

Lockyer said he would be happy to tutor Hunt, but urged critics not to crucify the Dragons-bound half for his quiet display in Brisbane’s recent World Club Series defeat.

“The game against Warrington would have taken some of Ben’s confidence away but it’s not a great barometer,” Lockyer said.

“Ben is like a lot of kickers in the game — it’s a confidence and feel type of skill.

“Tactically he should be thinking field position with his long-kicking game and repeat sets with his short-kicking game.

“I’m always covering Broncos games (as a Channel Nine commentator) and I’m always happy to give Ben my opinion if I feel he needs it.

“But I’m confident if he puts the practice in he will get to where the team needs him to be.”

Hunt’s former mentor at Red Hill, ex-assistant coach Kevin Walters, predicted the 26-year-old would emphatically prove his detractors wrong this season.

“Ben is in for his best season to be honest,” Walters said.

“If the Broncos are going to feature deep into September, they need Ben and Anthony to be at their best for most of the season.

“I think he’s been unfairly criticised. I’ve worked with Ben and we’ve tagged him in our Emerging Origin teams as a future Maroons player.

“I don’t think we’ve seen the best of Ben and hopefully from a Queensland point of view he delivers this season.

“It can be a breakout season for Ben Hunt.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...f/news-story/bf27bc41a500e1f8d7000f894e343248

renouf is a deadset legend so i'll just agree with whatever he says.

love you pearl <3

It does highlight the unfairness of the barages of criticism the Hunt defenders on this forum heap on any who dare to say anything similar.

A poor kicking game is a major problem in a modern halfbacks game and that same skill is fundamental to a overall ability to control a game. Several of us have been saying it for quite a long time without seeing improvements.

So if Renouf was a contributor to BHQ he too would have been slammed for his uninformed opinion.

It's refreshing to see someone actually stand up and call him out instead of the constant flow of sympathisers we usually get. Good on ya pearl.

Hunt IMO is a 9/10 Half Back the only thing missing from his repertoire is his kicking game, when he gets that right he'll be one of the greatest HBs in the game. His defence for his size is some of the best I've seen for a 7, he's one of the only HBs that can bring down a mountain PR on his own and he never really shies away from contact. When he does choose to run the ball he has such a strong centre of gravity that it makes him very difficult to bring down that mixed with his speed and vision allows him to break the line almost effortlessly. He's obviously lacking a bit of confidence but once he finds it or if he finds it at all (I hope he does) he'll be the fish that got away. It's such a shame to see such talent walk out of the club especially when he's been with the Broncos since the Under 20s.

Last edited:
I respect Pearl ... but i'm not sure he can make that claim unless he is at training every day
That's probably true but if Hunt is in fact doing so then we have much to worry about ! Better Renouf being correct because then there's hope.

“But I’m confident if he puts the practice in he will get to where the team needs him to be.”

Shouldn't he have done this by now?????

Hunt IMO is a 9/10 Dummy Half the only thing missing from his repertoire is his kicking game, when he gets that right he'll be one of the greatest DH in the game. His defence for his size is some of the best I've seen for a 7, he's one of the only DHs that can bring down a mountain PR on his own and he never really shies away from contact. When he does choose to run the ball he has such a strong centre of gravity that it makes him very difficult to bring down that mixed with his speed and vision allows him to break the line almost effortlessly. He's obviously lacking a bit of confidence but once he finds it or if he finds it at all (I hope he does) he'll be the fish that got away. It's such a shame to see such talent walk out of the club especially when he's been with the Broncos since the Under 20s.

Do you know what a dummy half is?

Such a big standout flaw in his game.

Shouldn't he have done this by now?????
10th yr as a playmaker

I'm a huge fan of the Pearl but I cringe when he speaks to the media. This is the same guy who criticised the Cowboys for not playing his cousin (Donald Malone) on a regular basis.

Can we get a sub forum dedicated to Ben Hunt. At the rate it's going it will be harder to find threads not about him.

Cost us another premiership*
Doc: Nashy, its your bet, your bet!
Nashy: What bet?
Doc: The one you will make for the Broncos to win the premiership!
Nashy: What about it?
Doc: Ben Hunt will cost us another premiership!
Nashy: Say it ain't so Doc!
Doc: That is why we must go back to the future!

Active Now

• Brocko
  • something
  • Fozz
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Bongo
  • Dash
  • Allo
  • Johnny92
  • Waynesaurus
  • Sproj
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • Fatboy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • ezpz
  • Jedhead
  • Xzei
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.