NEWS Reynolds says players ‘blind-sided’ as Broncos split with coach Kevin Walters

BHQArticleImageLarge133

The Brisbane Broncos have parted ways with coach Kevin Walters just 12 months after he took the club to a grand final.

The Broncos held an end-of-season review before the decision was made to end Walters’ contract, effective immediately.

Sources with knowledge of the situation, talking on the condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the situation, said the decision was made via a mutual agreement between the Broncos and Walters.

“Aside from playing here, it’s been the greatest thrill and honour of my life to have coached the Broncos,” Walters said in a Broncos statement.

“Coaching in the NRL takes a toll, not just on the coach but also their family – it’s time for me to step away and spend some quality time with my loved ones, who have supported me all the way over the last four years.

“I’m grateful to the club for providing me with the opportunity to be head coach, and we have come a long way from the wooden spoon to last year’s run to the grand final.

“I wish the team and the club all the best.”

Broncos captain Adam Reynolds, who was lured to the Queensland capital by Walters, said the players were “blind-sided”, and learned about the news via the media.

“We were as surprised as anyone when the news broke – we still haven’t heard anything official,” Reynolds told this masthead late Thursday.

“Kevvie is one of the main reasons I came to the club. I’m naturally disappointed. I have a lot of respect for him. I don’t know what else to say until the club communicates with us.

“We’re all trying to find out what’s going on. He’s a great coach and I love his coaching style. It’s been a tough year. Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong.

“We lost four players from last year’s grand final, and me, Reece [Walsh] and Payne [Haas] have been out for long periods this year. Myself and Ezra [Mam] only played a handful of games together this year.

“I’ve tried reaching out to Kev. I feel for him.”

Reynolds enters his final year at the club in 2025, and knew there was pressure on everyone, including Walters, to start well in the opening eight weeks.

Walters, a five-time premiership winner with the Broncos and former captain with 241 games as a player, took over as coach at the end of 2020.

He coached 99 NRL games - winning 50 of them - making him the third longest-serving coach the club has had.

“We owe a debt of gratitude to Kevin, for the enormous role he’s played as head coach over the past four years,” Broncos CEO Dave Donaghy said.

“Kevin put his heart and soul into the club during his time as coach. He is one of the most passionate people you will ever meet when it comes to the Broncos and that helped lift us out of a really difficult time.

“While we will miss Kev and his infectious personality on a daily basis, we certainly don’t want one of the Broncos favourite sons not to stay involved with our great club.”

Walters’ only finals appearance came last season when he led the Broncos within minutes of a premiership, before being run down by Nathan Cleary and the Panthers.

The Broncos failed to return to those lofty heights in 2024 and finished the season in 12th position. That forced the club into a major review of the football department.

Brisbane favourite Ben Te’o and former Parramatta Eels interim coach Trent Barrett had been brought to the club to be Walters’ assistants for next season.

Potential options for the top job in Brisbane include Queensland State of Origin assistant coach Josh Hannay, who missed out on the Eels job that went to Jason Ryles.

NSW State of Origin coach Michael Maguire, who previously applied for the Broncos job, is also expected to be one of the leading contenders given his achievements for the Blues this year.

Queensland State of Origin coach Billy Slater has previously indicated that he is not interested in becoming an NRL head coach. The Broncos may try to tempt him to reconsider.

Ex-Eels coach Brad Arthur has signed a one-year deal with Leeds in the Super League for next year, but could also become a potential replacement candidate.

Other coaches with NRL experience include Jason Demetriou and Justin Holbrook.

Sydney Morning Herald

To be honest I have no doubt that Kev was also blindsided. There is no way he stepped down.

I applaud the club for making the decision now.
Most clubs would have given him 6 or so weeks next year then pulled the trigger. Then 2025 is also a write off. Look at Parra.
The boards feedback from the players must have been that damming with little to no positivity.
Lets also remember Kev had lost 2 of his assistance for next year add to that Ikin had already left.
Seems there might be good reasoning people around him are leaving.

Whilst Reynolds makes it sound like he is shocked, I expect his review of Kev, along with the likes of Carrigan and Haas were not too glowing.
I guess if the reviews were all done completely professionally Reyno’s true thoughts will never come to the surface.

I think behind closed doors there would be good reasoning as to why the club made the choice it has.
Otherwise, we are fucked.

Kev met with his staff on Wednesday afternoon to talk about pre-season. So fair to say he had no indication he had 24 hours until he got the chair.

Kev met with his staff on Wednesday afternoon to talk about pre-season. So fair to say he had no indication he had 24 hours until he got the chair.
Any word?
Heard Madge was in Brisbane today. Not sure how much truth there is to it.

.... or any sense of responsibility for their own pitiful performances.
Feels like 2019/2020 all over again, those last two matches of the season were pathetic from the players, they had a chance to salvage a finals appearance and dished out probably the worst footy we played all season.

I think they got the timing of the announcement right to try and sweep it under the rug as much as possible but once again, the manner of it is a massive stuff up.

As mentioned above, we have a Tigers like board, the only thing that puts us slightly above their level is that we are still a destination club and keep a lot of our juniors. The two constants through this period of stupidity are Morris and Lockyer. Those two need to sack themselves.
Are we still a destination club?

Didn't we just have a junior head off to panthers instead of staying?

Only seem to retain anyone that debuts for us by paying them overs... and if they head elsewhere they're usually just plodders anyway.

Imagine not telling the fucking players first.
By all reports it was leaked. Kev was told last night and it was public knowledge by 9pm.

Surely the right thing to do is tell Kev before the players. Some dickhead leaked it, could’ve been Kev himself could’ve been a mate or his. Could’ve been Billy. Could’ve been someone else

If Kev released his sacking, before the players were told, it's a dog act & means he doesn't love the club as much as he says he does.

As he would have known the media would say it's a bad look etc.
Lol... where are you getting that from?

Didn't Badel send out the first tweet and he had quotes from Karl Morris in his article.... I'm pretty sure it was the News Corp Chairman who leaked it to the News Corp Qld league writer

Lol... where are you getting that from?

Didn't Badel send out the first tweet and he had quotes from Karl Morris in his article.... I'm pretty sure it was the News Corp Chairman who leaked it to the News Corp Qld league writer

His original first tweet had quotes from Kevvie. Nothing from Karl

His original first tweet had quotes from Kevvie. Nothing from Karl
Which one was before this?

Then the below posted on BHQ 14mins later has quotes from Karl in it

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Stix
  • pennywisealfie
  • Dee
  • ostin86
  • Harry Sack
  • Hoof Hearted
  • I bleed Maroon
  • NSW stables
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • Nerd
  • Jedhead
  • broncsgoat
  • ezpz
  • broncos4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Tim K
  • Waynesaurus
... and 29 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.