OFFICIAL Rising Star Riki Locks In With Broncos

This is good news for sure.
The only thing that puzzles me is I heard a report that we lost Walsh because we couldn’t up our offer due to salary cap constraints.
Now having signed Riki on a bigger deal doesn’t square with the supposed reason why we lost Walsh.

This is good news for sure.
The only thing that puzzles me is I heard a report that we lost Walsh because we couldn’t up our offer due to salary cap constraints.
Now having signed Riki on a bigger deal doesn’t square with the supposed reason why we lost Walsh.
We chose not to up our offer as they believed it to be the reasonable limit in regards to our cap. That’s not the same as not having the cap space.

Badel @ Courier Mail:

"In another major retention blow for Kevin Walters and the Broncos, boom youngster Jordan Riki agreed to a just three year extension on his current deal with the club - sources close to Riki suggest he was keen to not extend his stay in Brisbane any longer than this as he is very keen to test his value on the open market at the nearest opportunity..."

We chose not to up our offer as they believed it to be the reasonable limit in regards to our cap. That’s not the same as not having the cap space.
Yeah I get the difference just hope it was the right call.

Badel @ Courier Mail:

"In another major retention blow for Kevin Walters and the Broncos, boom youngster Jordan Riki agreed to a just three year extension on his current deal with the club - sources close to Riki suggest he was keen to not extend his stay in Brisbane any longer than this as he is very keen to test his value on the open market at the nearest opportunity..."
That doesn't even make sense! Three year deal is a longish deal! But he wants to test his value on the open market? Why would he sign a 3 year deal! Go home badel your drunk

That doesn't even make sense! Three year deal is a longish deal! But he wants to test his value on the open market? Why would he sign a 3 year deal! Go home badel your drunk
Read McHunt's signature, anything in italics is pure McHunt - garbage. He is taking the piss out of Badel.

Yeah and it's weird that Badel is the idiot that NRL 360 use to get all the info on QLD teams, mainly the Broncos. Fits their agenda perfectly.

Random question but what was Riki like coming through the lower grades? Everyone is after Piakura yet Riki seems as good as you would ever want from a second rower and I barely heard his name mentioned until the week of his first grade debut.

Why do some get more attention than others?

He's been at the Broncos since he was 15, been through every grade at Norths- was part of their MM side that lost the final to Souths in 2018. He scored a great try. That was a good U18 team with Paix and Bullemor. Norths moved him up to Colts in 2019 and he won the Grand Final there against Townsville- with Hetherington, Bullemor and Paix.

He debuted in ISC very young in 2018 and Smith moved him to BRL too so he was playing against men. Still playing Colts and ISC in 2019 and BRL.

He was Junior Kiwis captain in 2019 against Walsh, Walker, Howarth, Piakura, Sexton and Hammer. He was very good in defence.

Injuries kept him out the spotlight too, he kept getting busted last year and went home and then struggled coming back and being in isolation. Only played 17 ISC from 2018-2020.

The three things that impressed me about his attitude was he didn't mind playing BRL, and he lives with Carrigan the most sensible man in history. He makes good choices and he was happy to play on the wing when Smith needed him in ISC- scored a try and made 122m. All shows a pretty good attitude.

I likened him to Alan Cann last year before his debut, I still like that description. Cann won't but I do.

Yeah and it's weird that Badel is the idiot that NRL 360 use to get all the info on QLD teams, mainly the Broncos. Fits their agenda perfectly.
Not much of a surprise at all really... he's a fuckwit, they're fuckwits... he's happy to spew lies they're happy to mop it up and regurgitate it back in their role as "conduit to the people"

Even last night they complained about the Broncos trying to retain Piakura, because "he hasn't even played a game yet"... but choose to ignore the hypocrisy that warriors just poached Walsh on a deal nearing $2m who had never played a second of football against men...

Or even the hypocrisy around the fact that we have increased our off because the dogs are trying to poach him in the first place with even less judgement on him than us... he's a junior from a different club so they would have very limited knowledge on his training and work ethics, etc.

Even when Benji and Graham were giving opposing views they quickly shut it down and went to a commercial... Benji was saying something about capping contracts for the first 1-2 years so the club that did the development get some reward and it takes money out of the equation for the young player

Badel @ Courier Mail:

I think we should stop posting anything by Badel on the site, its just rubbish with absolutely no value. We need to stop promoting these guys by posting their bullshit.
Yeah I get the difference just hope it was the right call.
Read McHunt's signature, anything in italics is pure McHunt - garbage. He is taking the piss out of Badel.
I didn't post this and Badel didn't write it. @kooly87 is winding you up. Which is also fine.

Last edited:
He's been at the Broncos since he was 15, been through every grade at Norths- was part of their MM side that lost the final to Souths in 2018. He scored a great try. That was a good U18 team with Paix and Bullemor. Norths moved him up to Colts in 2019 and he won the Grand Final there against Townsville- with Hetherington, Bullemor and Paix.

He debuted in ISC very young in 2018 and Smith moved him to BRL too so he was playing against men. Still playing Colts and ISC in 2019 and BRL.

He was Junior Kiwis captain in 2019 against Walsh, Walker, Howarth, Piakura, Sexton and Hammer. He was very good in defence.

Injuries kept him out the spotlight too, he kept getting busted last year and went home and then struggled coming back and being in isolation. Only played 17 ISC from 2018-2020.

The three things that impressed me about his attitude was he didn't mind playing BRL, and he lives with Carrigan the most sensible man in history. He makes good choices and he was happy to play on the wing when Smith needed him in ISC- scored a try and made 122m. All shows a pretty good attitude.

I likened him to Alan Cann last year before his debut, I still like that description. Cann won't but I do.
@Wolfie triggered, in the 🍆 way.

Spot on. Bloody hell, isn't it scary how believable it obviously was though.
The red pill is Badel isn't particularly notable as an unreliable journalist. The media in general is unreliable, just sometimes your confirmation bias, lack of knowledge of the subject or memory retention prevents you from seeing it. I've been covering Badel here for more than a year and he's no better or worse than anyone else. He's merely more prolific in appearing in bylines, not all of which he's the sole author.

If you want to see really appalling journalism dig into the Guardian's political and environmental (same thing) coverage. It's shamelessly dishonest. The Courier Mail is more uneducated than dishonest. Almost all journalists are embarrassingly innumerate and have a poor grasp of the scientific method.

Last edited:
I actually think this kid could develop into an even better 13 than edge. He is robust defensively which I think could well be better used in the Middle. He can still carry the ball on the A defender on the edge along with a carry through the middle as required.
He has a good engine, good footwork and leg speed.
Interesting to see the rule changes have seen an increase of trys either right through the middle or the A defender slot and not just the out the back plays to the edge and even more so the wingers. The middles who are either poor laterally or a touch slower are being found out very quickly now
I think he can benefit by shifting to 13 over the years to come and become a real power option with the ball and an enforcer with out it.
I have been a Carrigan fan a long time, but riki offers more now.
The fact that he is a good defender is one of the reasons i think we need him on the edge guarding the halves much like gillett and carroll did (i know carroll wore the 13, but he parked himself next to lockyer in the defensive line and hit whoever ran there so hard, they would second guess running in locky's direction again).

He already looks to have an instinct to run good lines and if we can refine that and work on our halves to take the ball to the line and put him in holes, he could be a top tier second rower.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Alec
  • Behold
  • Bish
  • Culhwch
  • Dash
  • broncos4life
  • Big Del
  • simplythebest
  • Broncorob
  • broncoscope
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Tim K
  • Harry Sack
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • barker
  • Fatboy
  • Griffo
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.