RLWC 2021 Sem Finals Discussion

Looking at those stats, England were well and truly the better side except on the scoreboard…but it didn’t feel like that in the second half, it felt like England just had nothing in attack all game.

To be fair, England did throw that away.

When England came back to level the score, Samoa were done. England found a second wind and Samoa were physically getting dominated.

England were guilty of not playing patient earlier in the game and they were guilty of it then. If they did, they win it.

Have to give credit to Samoa keeping the pressure on defensively though.

Have to give credit to Samoa keeping the pressure on defensively though.

Plenty of credit to them. They took their opportunities when they presented themselves.

Why Radley threw that pass, I'll never understand it.

Looking at those stats, England were well and truly the better side except on the scoreboard…but it didn’t feel like that in the second half, it felt like England just had nothing in attack all game.

Williams should have been picking out Milford all game, they kept going right…which was wrong. Rugby league is pretty simple, if something works try it again.

Samoa scored more try's also bombed then next set Lafai drops a kicks and England score so Samoa should of won easily Cleary better side.
BTW one of the best games ever

@Fitzy you were saying?

american-dad-stan-smith.gif

Australia have far too much composure for Samoa to rely on the same tactics they used against England.

Unlike England, Australia have been tested and they still grinded out the win. They looked filthy at the end of the game against NZ, I don't see them dishing out a similar performance.

Where are you looking? The RLWC website stats are fairly even, England with 100+ extra metres with more possession, but the back three of Samoa were more effective at rucking the ball out and they produced more second phase.

It's a testament to how important the star players were for Samoa. It wasn't the best team performance we've seen, but players like Luai & Crichton helped lead the way. I think their habit to spread the ball deep inside their own half also paid dividends and an area they were more effective at than England for the majority of the game.

Australia have far too much composure for Samoa to rely on the same tactics they used against England.

Unlike England, Australia have been tested and they still grinded out the win. They looked filthy at the end of the game against NZ, I don't see them dishing out a similar performance.
It's hard to tell, I thought NZ did alot of damage to Australia when they went for the offloads in the first half, the second turned more into a slog which kind of killed game and NZ attack.

Samoa should go into the game trying to keep the ball in play at all costs and I think that will be their best strategy for winning, also the pressure is completely off them which helps.

After watching the highlights it seemed like Watkins had an absolute shocker, I also have no idea why Radley threw that intercept either

Looking forward to seeing Cleary up against Luai next week. Hate to say it, but Luai looked the better of the two over the weekend. And I mean I REALLY hate to say that. Seriously readjusting my future immortal rating of Cleary, especially after SOO 3 this year. But still hate Luai every bit as much.

England play very flat, which is fine when the opposition doesn't have line speed, but when they do, you can't do much with the ball.

England spent most of the competition spreading the ball wide with outside back scoring, but Samoa was cutting this off with their line speed. England got success when they started going straight forward (I.e. Williams challenging the line, herbie straightening up off his left foot and barrelling over etc).

I thought the Samoan back 5 were good with the early hit ups.

They basically followed the penrith core game plan; fast line speed, back five to do the hit up work (keeping the middle fresh for defence line speed), fullback to take the fifth hit up and get a quick play the ball for the half to kick off the front foot. Simple but effective.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Skyblues87
  • bb_gun
  • KnToad
  • Broncosgirl
  • RodF
  • Fatboy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • MrMoore
  • johnny plath
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Browny
  • BroncoFan94
  • Broncorob
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • Behind enemy lines
  • theshed
  • Mighty Bronx
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.