Roosters want equal gate takings for clubs

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan will propose the introduction of gate sharing at today's think tank of NRL officials and club bosses, amid a push to develop a stadium policy for all Sydney games.

With the Roosters set to be deprived of up to six of their biggest stars for Friday night's home match against the Bulldogs because of Origin duty, officials estimate the club could be up to $400,000 out of pocket from the huge drop in attendance compared with the previous clash between the two teams, which drew a crowd of more than 36,000 in round four at ANZ Stadium.

"In round four, we played in a game against the Bulldogs that attracted a record crowd for a Sydney premiership match but in round 16 - with four players or more likely to be missing because of State of Origin, including Willie Mason - we're hoping just to get 15,000 people to our game," Canavan said. "The situation could be the complete reverse in 2009 but if we had gate sharing [where the round's total gate takings are shared equally between the 16 clubs], the two clubs would at least get a share of the money from the games they played."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/sh ... 49731.html

i certainly don't agree with this. if this happens, clubs like Brisbane, Cowboys and the Gold Coast would effectively be propping up the Sydney clubs and i don't think thats right.

also i certainly don't see the CEO's of any of the Queensland clubs agreeing to it. i would also assume it would need unanimous approval before it was brought in. or else the will possibly be a lawsuit.

it seems that the Sydney clubs will do anything to avoid relocation or merging, even if it means bring down the Queensland clubs to the poor financial level. [icon_non

Typical Sydney shit :roll: It's not fair on the clubs that get the crowds to have to split it with the crap ones. This is where we make so much of our money. It's not our fault that some clubs can't draw their supporters to a game.

The lack of rep stars would have brought down the crowd no doubt but who honestly would go to see Canterbury right now? They can barely even provide a first grade side and they'll be cannon fodder even for that Roosters side missing its big guns.

And I agree - sharing the gate takings... come on. The answer is right there in front of everyone. Sydney clubs have to either merge or fold. The game can't sustain itself on current terms. Sydney clubs are just too self involved and wrapped in their own sense of importance to open their eyes to it.

The Sydney CEO's will scrape and claw their way out of the inevitable anyway they can, from this to Denis Fitzgerald's genius idea to lower the cap.

While I agree that the obvious solution is for there to be fewer Sydney-based teams (GTFO RABBITARDS), I just want to raise a point about this:

Typical Sydney shit It's not fair on the clubs that get the crowds to have to split it with the crap ones. This is where we make so much of our money. It's not our fault that some clubs can't draw their supporters to a game.

Let's accept for the moment that no Sydney club merges or relocates, and the crowds continue to stay away. If the "clubs that get the crowds" don't do something to help the strugglers out, the strugglers will fold. Then the clubs that get the crowds won't get the crowds either, because there will be no one left to play against.

gUt said:
While I agree that the obvious solution is for there to be fewer Sydney-based teams (GTFO RABBITARDS), I just want to raise a point about this:

Typical Sydney shit It's not fair on the clubs that get the crowds to have to split it with the crap ones. This is where we make so much of our money. It's not our fault that some clubs can't draw their supporters to a game.

Let's accept for the moment that no Sydney club merges or relocates, and the crowds continue to stay away. If the "clubs that get the crowds" don't do something to help the strugglers out, the strugglers will fold. Then the clubs that get the crowds won't get the crowds either, because there will be no one left to play against.

but the clubs that get the crowds can't lose the majority of their gate taking or they will be in financial strife

Yeah it's damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Well either that or the sheight teams in Sydney suck it up and merge/relocate. Don't hear too many Balmain and Wests fans moaning about mergers since 2005 do we?

I would like to see the Broncos instigate a diluted form of revenue sharing for our home fixtures with the Dragons and Bulldogs. Both clubs could come to an arrangement with the Broncos whereby they are obligated to promote/sell tickets for their match at Suncorp, and if the crowd reaches certain benchmarks the Bulldogs and Dragons get a cut of the profits.

The Dragons and Bulldogs both have a massive fanbase in Sth-East Qld and although they already do generate very good crowds when they play the Broncos they are not consistently attracting crowds over 40,000. Both fixtures should get massive crowds every year. Even though the Broncos may lose a little money in the short term it would have tremendous advantages for the club in the long run with regards to improving our crowd averages and the associated commercial benefits that come from being a club with great crowds.

You make some good points Smith. It could be argued that some of the Sydney clubs have been propping Brisbane up by accident. It's true especially for Parra, the Tigers, the Dragons and the Bulldogs (not to mention the Cows and the Titans) that Brisbane benefits from the attendance of people who want to see them lose the game.

Mike Coleman's column on Sunday was along this line: why should Brisbane (or any of the Qld clubs) help Sydney? We've always had animosity and that animosity is what sells SOO tickets. NSW has ****-blocked Qld selections in the Australin teams for decades etc etc. All of that is fine and good but I just don't think it's wise to be sitting on the lifeboat thumbing our noses while the ship sinks.

I don't think the Broncos should be made to split gate revenue with their rival clubs because you just couldn't do it in a fair way. However, the sooner these clubs start bringing their home games to Lang Park, the better. It will piss off the Sydney fans who do attend the games, but if the clubs can't financially support themselves, these fans won't have a team to support at all.

Merge or GTFO.

in the wild, the wounded animal gets killed.......

Canavan, you bum fluff...would you propose this is the Rorters were attracting 30,000 a game?

I don't think so!

Yet another stupid statement coming out of the roosters camp.

Seriously out of the people on this forum how many of you go "geeze locky and hunt are out of this game we won't go". Of course you still go, you don't support players as individuals! You support them as a team...the team you follow! who cares how many players you are missing due to rep honours, even more reason to get behind your club that week and cheer them on. Mind you the roosters total of 3 fans would have to cheer mighty loud.

Playboy Bunny said:

Seriously out of the people on this forum how many of you go "geeze locky and hunt are out of this game we won't go". Of course you still go, you don't support players as individuals! You support them as a team...the team you follow! who cares how many players you are missing due to rep honours, even more reason to get behind your club that week and cheer them on. Mind you the roosters total of 3 fans would have to cheer mighty loud.

Probably none of the people on this forum but "fans" in general would take note of that. Brisbane's last two home games have been below 30,000 and they were both on a friday night against sides with a good support base in south east Queensland. IMO Lockyer's absence has had a big impact on the gate takings. I know it seems fickle but I'm pretty confident many "fans" would choose to stay home if the big guns aren't playing.

I suppose it does happen but it just seems stupid really.

Plus the idea of sharing the gate takings is even dumber. Seriously if clubs want to have rep players then I guess these are some of the things they have to take into consideration at these times of the season.

Oh well...

Playboy Bunny said:

They have a 3rd fan now? [icon_confu

When did this happen??

[icon_lol1.

I was just doing what they do with their crowd figures each week and multiply it by 3....

Thats old news my dear.

Plus I don't care. I can still bag the roosters.

The Rock said:
Playboy Bunny":2ht8mb9r]I was just doing what they do with their crowd figures each week and multiply it by 3....[/quote] Who are you to talk? [url="http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0 said:
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 66,00.html[/url]

[icon_lol1.[/quote:2ht8mb9r]
Ya well the Dragons vs Bulldogs game they must have walked around the outside of the ground and counted the tourists as well, they all (Sydney) teams do it, we just admitted it.

It is just another News LTD kick at the club because no matter what press it is, good or bad they will throw it in the rag cause people buy the rag to read it. As soon as the light came out that Sydney clubs are in financial crisis, then PHAC opened his mouth, no other team was mentioned for two weeks.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.