PRE-GAME [Round 1, 2024] Roosters vs Broncos in Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that Deine doesn't make metres, he does. Arthars also made plenty in the GF and Cobbo will just naturally make metres anyway. Also, if it results in Staggs doing more and taking on leadership of the young backline - that isn't a bad thing.

Was going to add this about Arthars. More than willing to take hard runs out of our own end. Might not bend the line like an Oates, but Oates doesn't really bend the line like an Oates so much any more.

Interesting to compare the GF team to round 1:

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth -> Cobbo (long term, Cobbo could be anything but this is likely a slight downgrade at present as Herbie was arguably the best centre of the year in 2023)
5. Cobbo -> Mariner (long term, Deine looks like being a superstar but at present, he is inexperienced and so by default a downgrade on Cobbo)
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Flegler -> Jensen (I love Jensen's no frills approach and he will fill the void admirably but let's be honest, he isn't Flegs mix of aggression and ability to punch through the line - when you lose a rep prop, this is always going to be a downgrade)
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Capewell -> Piakura (Piaks' has the most incredible talent as a second rower for us with his line running and aggressive tackling that we problem haven't seen since Gillett and while he is still very raw, the only thing I give Capewell over Piaks at present is experience, to me Piaks, while he will be inconsistent still, has all the talent in the world, so long term, this is a big upgrade by short term probably steady as she goes)
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Smoothy
15. Hetherington
16. Palasia -> Baker (Palasia was so good for us as the work rate forward off the bench, can Baker do something similar? I am not sure but this is actually probably where Hetherington will really need to step up but for now -> downgrade)
17. Piakura -> Willison (This one has me so excited, honestly Willison could be anything and he has the potential to make our bench seriously feared. He is inexperienced and injury prone but man, he looks primed for a breakout year -> upgrade based on the role needed for the 17 jersey, not a comment on him compared to Piaks)

This team might struggle a bit in the short term, oh we will still win a lot but as it gels, look out in the back end of the year.

This is a premiership capable side.

I would be expecting a couple of late changes.
Disagree, Kevie typically just runs out the team named on TLT.

Only a couple of times I’ve seen him make late changes and that was when Carrigan was shifted to second row & possibly the Rd 27 match last year with all the fringe players.

8. Flegler -> Jensen (I love Jensen's no frills approach and he will fill the void admirably but let's be honest, he isn't Flegs mix of aggression and ability to punch through the line - when you lose a rep prop, this is always going to be a downgrade)
Flegler is overrated. Jensen is an upgrade (looking at the trials, he also seems to have stepped it up in the off season).

Just checked the weather forecast for game day. Some light sprinkling in the afternoon.

Really hope the weather holds out for the game. The whole spectacle would be diminished a bit otherwise.

Agreed.
The experience and talk from Oates would of helped Cobbo out with his defence as well.
If Cobbo is having to do a Herbie like work rate while being pretty new to the position it could be a worry and he's marking up against one of the best centres in the comp in Manu.
Cobbo averaged 147m last year so he was part of the contingent responsible for yardage.

I expect Staggs to pick up some slack as well. In any games without one of Herbie or Oates last year he was taking double digit hit ups... will always be a good thing to get Staggs more involved.

I do think Mariner and Arthars will take hitups, but not sure they will have the same impact as Oates and Herbie... so definitely a whole for us to fill... but if we can fill that hole then it will be huge having the strike power of Arthars and Mariner on the wings

Leniu starting for the Roosters, we might see the earliest non-injury forced interchange in history. He has a limited tank off the bench, imagine how quickly he will fade against fresh players belting him.
Surprised Robbo wants him up against Haas and Patty... would've thought he would line him up for later when those guys are tiring or off the field.

Hopefully they smash him and put him in his place!!

Surprised Robbo wants him up against Haas and Patty... would've thought he would line him up for later when those guys are tiring or off the field.

Hopefully they smash him and put him in his place!!

This is what I love about this team though. You see off Haas, on comes Willison. That is one freaky prop rotation right there.

so apparently Mariner is the fastest player at the club ... clocking in at 4.7 seconds in the 40m sprint testing, which is faster than Walsh.

this is a seriously fast backline we have now

so apparently Mariner is the fastest player at the club ... clocking in at 4.7 seconds in the 40m sprint testing, which is faster than Walsh.

this is a seriously fast backline we have now

See the try Wigan almost scored against Penrith if not for Bevan being fractionally offside? I expect to see us trying that a bit. We have the potential to absolutely destroy teams with our pace. Even the forwards are quick.

Cobbo averaged 147m last year so he was part of the contingent responsible for yardage.

I expect Staggs to pick up some slack as well. In any games without one of Herbie or Oates last year he was taking double digit hit ups... will always be a good thing to get Staggs more involved.

I do think Mariner and Arthars will take hitups, but not sure they will have the same impact as Oates and Herbie... so definitely a whole for us to fill... but if we can fill that hole then it will be huge having the strike power of Arthars and Mariner on the wings
This concerns me. Everytime Staggs has meant to have 'picked up the slack', he never actually has and a few of us overlooked it because he made a miracle play or break away.

I really want him to have a good year, but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Yellowfella
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Xzei
  • Strop
  • Stix
  • Gaz
  • Scorchie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Redfern_1980
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BruiserMk1
  • Browny
  • broncos4life
  • Spoon
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.