PRE-GAME Round 1 - Broncos vs Rabbitohs

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but with all the talk of Maranta in this thread I thought its fitting

http://m.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-p...he-brisbane-club/story-e6frf3pc-1227248381067

BRONCOS winger Lachlan Maranta is playing for his Brisbane future with new coach Wayne Bennett determined to use 2015 as a year to discover who can and can’t cut it in his NRL premiership ambitions.

Maranta was one of Bennett’s selection bombshells for tonight’s season opener against South Sydney, winning his spot on the end of Brisbane’s backline ahead of Daniel Vidot.

But Bennett warned his selection came with a caveat, that Maranta like many of the young players at the club had to prove themselves as quality first graders or they’d be looking for a new club next season.

“Lachlan Maranta is a 42-game NRL player but he really hasn’t cemented his position on the wing,” Bennett told a luncheon in Brisbane on Wednesday.

“He is either going to cement it there or he will be looking for a new club. I’ve told him that by the way.”

So basically, improve or get out. Good news IMO

Last edited:
Game day! Got a bloody family-in-law do so can't watch it live so will be up till 1am drinking beers then back to work in the morning!! Still happy about it :D

My main hope is that with all this 'GI likes Brissy' talk he doesn't go and put in another fucking job application by carving the shit out of us! The two games against us last year were incredible, I felt for Barba try to out jump him for a bomb.

I thought with Teo and Sam B gone from the team, that the bunnies would be pushing it uphill to get to the GF again this year. After watching them in the 9's and against St Helens, tonight is going to be a tough assignment. I'm looking forward to a fast physical game, but I think the bunnies are going to be too strong. But there won't be much in it.

He would make the Rabbitohs over Goodwin.
He would make the Eels over Champion.
He would make Manly over Clint Gutherson.
He would make the Tigers over Lawrence.
He would make the Cowboys over Wright and Linnett.
He would make the Sharks over Leutele.
He would make the Dragons over Nielsen.
He would make the Storm over Kurt Mann.

I would take Gutherson and Linnet over Reed.

If we're talking backs in general, I'd take Gutherson over Reed if only because he could provide us with some speed, skill and versatility in the backs.

I've been disappointed in Linnett. He's been too inconsistent and for somebody who's playing outside of JT on JT's good-side...he really should be playing a lot better than he is.

It is bloody hot outside and by 7PM she won't have cooled down that much.

Hopefully our smaller pack can run Souths ragged a bit - stretch them wide.

EDIT: Peaking at 37 degress at 4PM

Last edited:
Reed to boss it tonight and make his way back into my avatar.

Porthoz to be extremely quiet for 90% of the game then suddenly go apeshit and start swearing in Dutch or some other language I don't understand.

Morkel to try and pick a fight with a bunch of Bunnies supporters with no teeth.....again.

I must admit I'm still feeling emotionally fragile from events that have occurred over the last three years. Rudderless attack, slow moving defense, horrible bench usage and losing matches in the last 5 minutes, I'm hoping tonight is a positive start of the journey back to the top.

I'm greatly excited about tonights match but I don't want to get too carried away in case the horrible nightmare continues. :wacko:
Yes thank you nurse I'll have my medication now...............*Resumes rocking backward and forth mumbling*

Last edited:
Even if the Broncos do go onto win, you can almost bank on Souths going in at half-time with a lead.

Bennett teams traditionally start slow and have some pretty dicey moments until they start to put the pieces together in the second half. Look for the Broncos to play some of their best footy just after half-time, just like they did against Wigan.

Just hope we don't add anything more to the Inglis highlight reel for eternity.

(Kennedy's piss weak tackle, Barba's "**** it, can't hurt" chip; to a much lesser extent Copely's chase then mistimed tackle, ditto Maranta)

I'm reasonably okay with the side, and I understand the logic behing Maranta's selection, especially with Reynold's kicking game, but in saying that, I feel Vidot still deserved a spot in the 17. He's metres, especially against a big South's team would of been invaluable.

I don't understand the Whitchurch selection. I just can't see what Bennett see's in him. I'd even put Vidot on the bench instead of him as a wing/centre/second row/prop utility. I'd much rather Vidot's contributions off the bench as opposed to what Whitchurch can potentially offer. Vidot is a hard worker and enjoys doing the hard yards. If he's playing prop for the jets, he may as well be making metre's for us off the bench...

Absolute scrag of a day so far. Hoping the Broncs get up and I get a Proclaimers evening. "Ahm orn ma wee... From musery to huppiness todee".

Reed to boss it tonight and make his way back into my avatar.

Porthoz to be extremely quiet for 90% of the game then suddenly go ape**** and start swearing in Dutch or some other language I don't understand.

Morkel to try and pick a fight with a bunch of Bunnies supporters with no teeth.....again.

PMSL SackMan! Particular the part about the too:heh:tthless rabbit

Can't believe the season is finally here and we can get out to the game to cheer our boyz on.

Hope ya'll have a wonderful nite at the game ,or, on the couch watchin at home. Should be a rip snorter of a game.

Final predictions before gametime - Rabbits 26, Bronnies 4. (hope im wrong though) :nod:

Absolute scrag of a day so far. Hoping the Broncs get up and I get a Proclaimers evening. "Ahm orn ma wee... From musery to huppiness todee".

Port will perk you up on the way to the game no doubt. Just remember to wash your hand please.....

Port will perk you up on the way to the game no doubt. Just remember to wash your hand please.....

Waiting for him at the bus stop. I thought I saw him but it was just someone pushing a water tank on a wheelbarrow. Just saw a dude walk on to the bus in an AFL style sleeveless Rabbitohs guernsey. Sums up the fans well.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.