Round 1 - Broncos Vs Sea Eagles - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
The team is going to be announced tomorrow

"Griffin said on Thursday he would announce his 17-man squad earlier than expected so his players could enjoy their weekend."

haha. interesting. i still dont get the whole cloak and daggers thing with it all.

anyway im glad the team will be announced tomorrow. sick of waiting!

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
Can't wait, it'll be a regular turkey shoot.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
"Griffin said on Thursday he would announce his 17-man squad earlier than expected so his players could enjoy their weekend."

haha. interesting. i still dont get the whole cloak and daggers thing with it all.

anyway im glad the team will be announced tomorrow. sick of waiting!

Are they still going to enjoy their weekend if they dont make the 17. ?????
I am with you, the waiting to see what he comes up with is causing anxiety :-)) Will give us plenty to talk about

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Looking forward to this game. It will really show us where we are at. I've been very negative about our chances but if we can manage to start the season with a win the boys might get the confidence boost they need. We really need to stay injury free to go well. I am hopeful Hook starts with Prince in the halves. I don't even care who he is paired with. Our forward pack will match it with most this season. Would love to see McCullough take the next step in his development and really dominate.
Who are you and what did you do to Beads?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Tipping Manly, they have a great record up here winning 5 of the last 6.

You suck.

if this is the case then i am happy he was just making sure it is clear that players will be picked on performance and not CV.

That's the the time I recall him saying it. Before any of the trials have begun....or maybe after the trial at Reddo, at the latest.

I haven't heard it said since the warriors game and I believe you are right, it was purely said to be suggesting that no-one gets a walk up start here. Motivation at the time from Griffin to Prince. If you want the spot you're going to have to earn it.

Prince has earned it....IMO. He has been one of the few glimmers of light in an otherwise dark and dreary trials performance.

It goes to show how desperate we are as fans to see our team with a half who looks like they can make something happen..........Prince by all rights could/should have hung up his boots last year. So we've got a half now in his twilight years making our present half (2012..speaking), look as though he might not even make the run on side.

Even the Wallace fanbots have conceded he might make a good number 14..........

Manly will be a tough glimpse of where we should be. Things will have to click for us

We've got the players........I'm tipping a win.

Can't wait.....

Last edited:
rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'm still trying to figure out a starting side for this match. I still can't see the logic in buying Prince given that Wallace and Norman seem to be held in high regards by Griffin (correct me if I'm wrong please).

I can't really see a player of Prince's age and class not being first choice 7. For starters, Hodges will be guaranteed a lot more ball than he ever got, or will get, from Wallace or Norman.

I honestly can't understand how Wallace can be dropped from the halves, which leaves Norman to play where? FB? I can't see why Hoffman would not be first choice FB.

I think I'll just sit back and get surprised

Last edited:
noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
i honestly have no idea what to expect. i fear that norman will be named on the bench and i thikn that would be stupid. not because he is a must in the 13 but hunt is going to add more in the 14 than norman will.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If we are as desperate as the media has made out to keep Norman you would expect him to be in the 17 wouldn't you??

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
that was my point.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Well, as Coxy observed, maybe Hoffman is destined for the wing with Norman at the back? It's actually not a bad scenario.

I'll go out on my usual limb and suggest Parker should be part of the prop rotation and NOT Thaiday. I think Thaiday is bloody awful up front. His place, his best place, is in the back row back, running wide.

I would start with Stagg in the back row with Thaiday and Glenn at lock.

Hannant from the bench with Parker and McGuire starting props. I reckon we need maximum mobility in the back row and I think Parker is now past that and would be better up front.

Hunt, Gilett and Dodds on the bench with Hannant

None of which will happen of course

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Glenn at lock? I can't agree with that one. His spot is on the left fringe where he's at his most damaging. The same goes for Thaiday on the right side.

If you want Parker if in the front row, which I don't necessarily disagree with, I would put Gillett at lock, or Stagg if you want to play safe.
Hannant and Parker to start, as I believe McGuire would have more impact from the bench.

At the back, Norman at FB, Berryman/Maranta/Kemp on the wings with Hodges and Hoffman in the centres, unless Kahu is up for the task of filling any of the backline positions.

The halves have to be Prince + Wallace or Hunt, with the other on the bench as a relief for Macca.

The bench to be Hunt/Wallace, Gillett/Stagg, Dodds and someone out of Anderson/Lui/Hala/Molo/Timu...

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
I actually think that's one of the most sensible team lists I've seen on this forum. Obviously fb is still up for massive debate with Hodges, Hoffman and Norman all worthy contenders. The only issue I find with it is that if parker is fulltime front row stag has to be lock. Gillette really belongs on the fringe and should sub for either thaiday or Glenn. Can stag play 80? The other option is to have stag sub in at lock pushing parker up to frf. I think either are viable. Could parker play 80 or close to it in the front row? That list could survive with so few interchanges it's ridiculous. I asked this last post but does anyone know what's going on with Hala. In the origin period game where he and Anderson were playing they were both so damaging with line breaks (currently unheard of at the broncos), I didn't pay too close attention to their defensive efforts. Too bad both were injured in that game.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
i deadset give up if this doesnt happen.

Yeah apparently he is naming the halves today and I have this horrible horrible feeling that it will be Wallace and borman :(

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I was right. Norman fullback, Hoffman wing, prince and Wallace halves.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Thaiday at Prop.

I wonder if he will mostly play there this year ?

I'm happy for Norman to be picked at fullback. Prince really had to be in the halves.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I am pretty happy with that side apart from Thaiday playing prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• The Strapper
  • Browny
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • Maroon4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Spooky1013
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.