Round 1 - Bulldogs v Broncos - LIVE Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I don't know, Maranta was great so I'd hate to see him dropped after his best game for us.

When Maranta scored that try, the whole fucking neighbourhood heard me. It's about bloody time!

Where was that defensive effort last year? They would've made the finals. I know their ruck and middle defense wasn't superb, but their goal line defense was brilliant imo. It was great to see them put in the effort when they could've easily rolled over.

Copley. I love you. What a great run to get Broncos back on the front foot. I hope he is centre next week, I don't think he did much wrong.

I'm just fucking stoked.

On a bad note, Hoffman's little experiment at 5/8 didn't pay off in this game. I know it could take some time, but he was mediocre tonight.

Is this stuff really necessary? Who were the Bulldogs really missing? Kasiano.

Eastwood, Kasiano, Lafai & Inu.

In saying that I think we just watched two bottom 8 teams guts it out.

Last edited:
Nah I can understand the scare in the second half, it's been a common thing over the past two seasons but lets also be realistic I doubt we would have made overnight improvement there either, it's only round 1 after all. Enjoy the win boys and girls!

On another note ... great to see so many Bronco supporters at the ground waving the flag.

I was really impressed with Barba, It could not have been easy with all the nerves. But if that was one of Barba's quiet games, I am so excited to see one of his good games. Vidot really impressed me, big and strong. Maranta played well as did Copely. I have no doubt that with a new halfs/attacking coach we will be a force to be reckoned with!! Good game so proud of the boys, Corvo is a magician! Brilliant defence!

I honestly think Maranta was outstanding, very happy for him.

At this stage, honestly, i would go Barba 5/8, Hoffman fullback. Hoffman provides zero at 5/8 and Barba is the best half at the club so that way we get something from both players.

Or out Niko at 5/8 and Hoffman to wing... With Maranta dropping off, I think Vidot can do more.

Not bad suggestions there broncospwn, I'd prefer to see Hoffman on the wing but not currently at the expense of Maranta so perhaps for now at fullback till hodges or Oates return?

My game review immediately after the game:

Our first half was great. We looked sharp and focused. Second half, not so great. We lost our way a bit there for a while, but a few individual quality plays from Copley, Hoffman and Thaiday kept us in the game. The great run from Copley late in the game for about 50 meters and then the penalty was a great play at the right time for us. The hit Hoffman put on the Bulldogs player a couple sets later to jolt the ball free showed desperation. He also made a few good runs towards the end of the game when the big guys were quite tired. Thaiday with his kick return after we scored and ran about 40 meters after palming off a Bulldogs player. Big plays from our guys when they were needed.

The positives:

Barba: Playing his first game with us, I thought he was invaluable. Playing as a natural 5/8 he seemed to have so much time to work and I think he will form a good combination on the left there with Reed.

Vidot: Big game from Vidot. He really took a lot of pressure off our forwards with his hitups and some of his Winger work was great. Scored a strong try and should have had another down the other end, but it wasn't to be with the play being called back for a knock on.

Maranta: All you Maranta haters would be crawling back into your shells right about now. He was nearly our best tonight. Extremely safe under the high ball, reads the play as good as anyone on our team, made a great break down field late in the game and scored a great try. He looks to have slimmed down A LOT this season. His face looks sucked in and his mid section is slim. Like I said, I thought he was one of our best.

Glenn: Great game from Glenn. Don't know the stats, but he made a mountain of hitups and defended well with Hoffman on the left edge.

Copley: Contained Josh Morris easily tonight and even put a couple moves on Morris himself. Put a good fend on Reynolds and made good meters when they were crucial for the team. I can see him having a break out season this year so long as he can stay fit.

Macca: Solid 80 minutes. The guy didn't even look tired at the end of the game. I thought he controlled the game really well, lead the forwards around, put in a couple good kicks and had some good runs.

Our defence:
Amazing. I mean, I know the Bulldogs weren't at full strength, but our cover defence was great and the general attitude was exactly what was wanted.

Fitness:
Although we did fatigue towards the end of the game, our overall fitness is miles ahead of last season. The Bulldogs had so many sets on our line and we kept turning up.

The negatives:

Parker:
He's playing too much in the middle. It stifles his style of play so much. I think the middle should be left for Hannant, Kennedy, McGuire and someone else.

Gillett: He didn't have a bad game, but he just seemed a bit lost. I still think he's better on the left edge or used as an interchange.

Hannant:
Looks a bit underdone still. Still a bit slow and not as sharp as some of the others.

Our use of the bench still intrigues me. I thought overall the use of the bench was much better tonight, but to not use your 17th player seems odd. If you're not going to use Wallace, don't pick him.

Overall: Extremely happy with the win and like I said in the pre game thread, I was hoping we turned up with a good attitude and a winning attitude and that we would have a go. We definitely had a red hot go. This will give the guys the confidence they need moving forward. I would pick the same team next week barring any injuries, but maybe pick a different #17, or actually play Wallace next week.

Last edited:
I was really impressed with Barba, It could not have been easy with all the nerves. But if that was one of Barba's quiet games, I am so excited to see one of his good games. Vidot really impressed me, big and strong. Maranta played well as did Copely. I have no doubt that with a new halfs/attacking coach we will be a force to be reckoned with!! Good game so proud of the boys, Corvo is a magician! Brilliant defence!

Yeah for a first game at the club, it's encouraging, it will take him time for us to really see the best out of him but he will get there IMO.

On another note ... great to see so many Bronco supporters at the ground waving the flag.

Well the must be at the ground because with the exception of a few they aren't in here

I was also hugely impressed by Vidot and thought Maranta had probably his best game, hopefully he can continue to improve. Hunt was pretty much useless in attack but liked his defensive efforts, Hoffman is NOT a five-eight.. Hunt simply cannot steer this ship on his own or we'll go Titanic fast, if we don't get a ball-playing 6 quick we probably won't see anything different from tonight from him. Not sure if this means Nikorima, Strasser, M.Barba or giving Prince a call, but he needs a partner.

Was disappointed by Gillett and Glenn's first halves, good to see some fire from Kennedy, Hannant was a defensive liability on a few occasions. With what I saw I'll be glad to have Macca play the full 80 as long as we don't pointlessly waste an interchange slot on someone we won't use.

My game review immediately after the game:

Our first half was great. We looked sharp and focused. Second half, not so great. We lost our way a bit there for a while, but a few individual quality plays from Copley, Hoffman and Thaiday kept us in the game. The great run from Copley late in the game for about 50 meters and then the penalty was a great play at the right time for us. The hit Hoffman put on the Bulldogs player a couple sets later to jolt the ball free showed desperation. He also made a few good runs towards the end of the game when the big guys were quite tired. Thaiday with his kick return after we scored and ran about 40 meters after palming off a Bulldogs player. Big plays from our guys when they were needed.

The positives:

Barba: Playing his first game with us, I thought he was invaluable. Playing as a natural 5/8 he seemed to have so much time to work and I think he will form a good combination on the left there with Reed.

Vidot: Big game from Vidot. He really took a lot of pressure off our forwards with his hitups and some of his Winger work was great. Scored a strong try and should have had another down the other end, but it wasn't to be with the play being called back for a knock on.

Maranta: All you Maranta haters would be crawling back into your shells right about now. He was nearly our best tonight. Extremely safe under the high ball, reads the play as good as anyone on our team, made a great break down field late in the game and scored a great try. He looks to have slimmed down A LOT this season. His face looks sucked in and his mid section is slim. Like I said, I thought he was one of our best.

Glenn: Great game from Glenn. Don't know the stats, but he made a mountain of hitups and defended well with Hoffman on the left edge.

Copley: Contained Josh Morris easily tonight and even put a couple moves on Morris himself. Put a good fend on Reynolds and made good meters when they were crucial for the team. I can see him having a break out season this year so long as he can stay fit.

Macca: Solid 80 minutes. The guy didn't even look tired at the end of the game. I thought he controlled the game really well, lead the forwards around, put in a couple good kicks and had some good runs.

Our defence:
Amazing. I mean, I know the Bulldogs weren't at full strength, but our cover defence was great and the general attitude was exactly what was wanted.

Fitness:
Although we did fatigue towards the end of the game, our overall fitness is miles ahead of last season. The Bulldogs had so many sets on our line and we kept turning up.

The negatives:

Parker:
He's playing too much in the middle. It stifles his style of play so much. I think the middle should be left for Hannant, Kennedy, McGuire and someone else.

Gillett: He didn't have a bad game, but he just seemed a bit lost. I still think he's better on the left edge or used as an interchange.

Hannant:
Looks a bit underdone still. Still a bit slow and not as sharp as some of the others.

Our use of the bench still intrigues me. I thought overall the use of the bench was much better tonight, but to not use your 17th player seems odd. If you're not going to use Wallace, don't pick him.

Overall: Extremely happy with the win and like I said in the pre game thread, I was hoping we turned up with a good attitude and a winning attitude and that we would have a go. We definitely had a red hot go. This will give the guys the confidence they need moving forward. I would pick the same team next week barring any injuries, but maybe pick a different #17, or actually play Wallace next week.
Nice post. I'm happy with that result for a new team . Disagree a little with Hannant . Thought he was strong.

So the big Question, when Hodges is back and the Hoffman 5/8 experiment inevitably fails, which two backs do we drop off? Maranta and Reed? There's going to be a backline selection headache real soon. And we still have Oates too. Our backline stocks are very well covered. Shame we have no halves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Morkel
  • ettybay
  • Broncosgirl
  • marw
  • Jedhead
  • Jazza
  • Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  • Astro
  • kman
  • Mr Fourex
  • Manofoneway
  • Fatboy
  • bb_gun
  • Foordy
  • sooticus
  • Hurrijo
  • Wolfie
  • Brocko
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.