Round 1 Discussion

It tells me a bunch of things, none of which leads me to believe that Ayshford has anything to offer at this level.

That's the problem here, not Hurrell's omission.

Out of all the left field selections, the one that confused me the most was Leivaha Pulu from the Gold Coast Titans. Not because I thought he took somebody elses spot, but because I had never really heard about him before.

So I did some digging and this is what I found out.

25 going on 26 year old forward who came up through the Keebra Park system and was apart of the Wests Tigers NYC squad in 2009 and 2010. His career didn't kick on, so he spent his time in the lower grades playing for Windsor, French club Lezignan before he started turning heads at the Wyong Roos.

He's been thrown a lifeline by the Titans who like to play with a bigger pack and may just have the biggest bench of any side in the competition.

Vaha and Iggy reunited - Titans

No confirmation yet but like the Kieran Foran news, don't be surprised if Brett Stewart drops out of tonight's clash against the Bulldogs. If "Snake" drops out, Trbojevic will switch to fullback with either Lavaka or Goodall coming in (the Sea Eagles sure love their Parra recruits). Speaking of former Eels, Mateo is out and will be replaced by journeyman prop Siosaia Vave.

Bulldogs appear to be as per program.

Interesting to note that Elijah Taylor could be missing for tomorrow's clash against the Canberra Raiders. His spot will be taken by young gun James Fisher-Harris, a star of the Panthers U/20s GF winning side.

Taylor is too good a player to be playing NSW Cup but with Merrin in the 17, something had to give. I think playing Taylor off the bench at this stage of his career is a waste while a player like Fisher-Harris could really become a star and will provide plenty of impact.

Either way, we're beginning to see some of Hook's influences on the team.

I've always rated Elijah Taylor, tackling machine, shame to see him falling out of favour.

The Tigers could do worse than to look at Elijah Taylor

My tips for the rest of the round. I tipped us to win last night so I'm 1 from 1

Manly
Raiders
Wartiors
Cowboys
Rabbitohs
Knights
Storm

I went -

Eagles
Raiders
Warriors
Sharks
Rabbitohs
Titans
Dragons

I can see a few of those coming back to bite me, but there's usually at least 3-4 upsets Week 1, so I went for it.

I thought about tipping Cronulla as well. They've got a good record against the Cowboys, they have a good team. Maloney is going to make a big difference for them this year. The Cowboys never seem to start the year well but i wanted to play it safe.

Won't be at all surprised if the Sharks won though

I thought about tipping Cronulla as well. They've got a good record against the Cowboys, they have a good team. Maloney is going to make a big difference for them this year. The Cowboys never seem to start the year well but i wanted to play it safe.

Won't be at all surprised if the Sharks won though
Not sure if there's been any change, but they had a storm forecast.

In those conditions, the result will likely be decided by the battle up front more than anything.

Still tipping the Cowboys though.

Stewart & Mateo are out of tonight's clash.

No real surprises here from Barrett, Trbojevic pushes to fullback with perrenial depth player Brayden Williame coming onto the wing.

Barrett has resisted the temptation to bring in a backrow for a backrow, opting to go with Vave.

Meanwhile, Dessie brings in Lloyd Perrett for Danny Fualalo. Question has to be asked, why wasn't Perrett there to begin with?

Round 1 is like a lottery and I've gone against the grain here, backing the Bulldogs bulk to upset the home side and remind everyone why Des Hasler is one of the best coaches in the game.

With Stewart and Mateo out I'm somewhat regretting my Eagles pick, I think the Dogs might get em in a close one, maybe golden point.

If Dylan Walker plays 5/8th, I'd be tipping the Dogs for sure.

Out of fucking nowhere, it's Paul Vautin .... "outstiiiiiinding"

So far it appears Kasiano still has a future in the game.

Great effort to score underneath the uprights.

This defense from Manly is pedestrian.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Sproj
  • levikaden
  • Big Del
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Ondi
  • Rookie Alan
  • GCBRONCO
  • theshed
  • Morepudding
  • sooticus
  • broncos4life
  • Manifesto
  • Aldo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.