Round 1 Lineup

It was the right call, as Wayne wasn't getting it done. But he should have had his last year and been retained at the club in some form in retrospect.

Not sure JD was the way to go though but who knows? Probably would have done better than Seibold.
An inanimate carbon rod would have done a better job.

He is a beauty and I didn’t want to see him leave us. My hope is that he returns when at his peak.

We need to regain our status to ensure our best players want to stay regardless of what’s being offered elsewhere.

Always trouble for spooners to entice their best to stay when shit clubs are offering top rung of the ladder money when the player is yet to reach that level.

We need our administration to be putting as much effort into our players and on field performance as they have done with our shareholders. Trusting this process starts with our new CEO.
Just a bit of reality here but the TITANS WERE the spooners when they enticed Fifita to join them. They enticed Tino Alphabet too without having used crazy money amongst others. They were the wooden spooners, not us. We hadn't earned that title yet.

I know they're our opposition and rival in many ways but rugby league on the Gold Coast has been around a fairly long time now and the Titans their premier team. Nowadays we have a lot more in common with them and it's a bit rich for us to be saying 'they're lower class people we shouldn't be associated with'...not that you used those words 🌝

Hopefully some better cap management than players like Bird on $975k, (that we didn’t need) $1m on Milford who has never delivered for that money, $800k on Boyd who shouldn’t have even been playing over the last 2 years and ridiculous overs for journeymen like McCullough, Offa, Kahu and so on, means that we could actually match some of the big offers on actual “superstars” and not have to rely on hope that they accept unders to stay with us...

We have the same money to spend officially under the cap as any other club, we just spend it like drunken sailors...

Stupidly.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Inventafigure Pty Ltd?
800 for Boyd. His last season he was on 600k. He wasn't the worst in the team in 2020 but your point that we've paid overs in the past is fair enough. Bird may have been good value and other clubs were offering close to the same, we didn't just suddenly offer him 300k more than anyone else just for fun.

We'll never know if Bird would have been great value but hindsight with it's perfect acuity is a beautiful thing. Milford has been dreadful for years and that's one overblown contract we can all agree about. Boyd often gets lumped in with the rest but his final year contract money and Maccas and Gillett's were pretty much all in the same range. He wasn't getting anywhere close to a million, 800k was an exaggeration.

Yep. Our squad has gone backwards from last year, IMHO...

Hopefully the coaching / conditioning / medical staff can somehow do an astronomically better job than the previous incumbents, or it is looking like another long year to me too...
Are you saying our team in 21 is worse than the Titans in 2020? They were the previous wooden spooners? They started 20 off 0-2 and we were 2 -0 yet they improved, why the **** can't we? I mean our 21 squad is definitely better than the Titans 20 squad when they started off as wooden spooners.

Moving on from Bennett was the correct call ... hiring Seibold as his replacement was the wrong call ... although IMO, it may have been beneficial for Kevvie in the long run as following Bennett has always been a poisoned chalice
Moving on from him was moving on to mediocrity. No doubt, Fifita would be still here if he did not leave.
The talent seem to always like playing under him. Like water, when he leaves - everything dries up.

Comparing our team with Souths this year makes me want to cry. Why can't that be us?! 😿

Moving on from him was moving on to mediocrity. No doubt, Fifita would be still here if he did not leave.
The talent seem to always like playing under him. Like water, when he leaves - everything dries up.

Comparing our team with Souths this year makes me want to cry. Why can't that be us?! 😿

Fifita would not still be here if Bennett was coach ... unless of course Bennett happened to have one of Uncle Nicks brown paper bags handy

time for a new line up with a few more pieces of the puzzle known (or at least reported)

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. David Mead
3. Herbie Farnworth
4. Tesi Niu
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford (Brodie Croft if Milford isn't fit for round 1)
7. Tom Dearden
8. Tevita Pangai Jnr
9. Jake Turpin
10. Matt Lodge
11. Alex Glenn (c)
12. Corey Oates
13. John Asiata

14. Corey Paix
15. Tom Flegler
16. Jordan Riki
17. Pat Carrigan

I know people don't rate our squad, but IMO it isn;t anywhere near as bad as they think ... there was a mass conspiracy against us from the NRL, COVID, Injuries and let's not forget their inside man Seibold, that resulted in our first ever spoon.

with a new coach, everyone will be playing for spots and contracts, not to mention that i'm sure last year doesn't sit well with the squad; i'd expect a much improved season from the boys finishing in the 6-8 region ... assuming we're not killed by injuries again
yeah agree, id have Riki starting firstly and yeah definitely agree with you our team isn't as bad as we think, really our spine is

Latest version:

1. Isaako (I am hoping Walsh is a bolter here)
2. Farnworth
3. Arthars
4. Niu
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. TPJ
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Glenn (c)
12. Riki
13. Asiata

14. Paix
15. Flegler
16. Carrigan
17. Oates

Latest version:

2. Farnworth
3. Arthars
4. Niu
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. TPJ
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Glenn (c)
12. Riki
13. Asiata

14. Paix
15. Flegler
16. Carrigan
17. Oates
I think you’re close but Farnworth is confirmed centre from my understanding so probably swap him and Arthurs.

Anyone been at training and seen who’s lining up on that wing?

Latest version:

2. Farnworth
3. Arthars
4. Niu
5. Coates
6. Milford
7. Dearden
8. TPJ
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Glenn (c)
12. Riki
13. Asiata

14. Paix
15. Flegler
16. Carrigan
17. Oates
Sold !

Carrigan needs to start IMO, with Lodge. TPJ should be the impact 20min mark prop.

I agree but I think Kevvie said or implied TPJ will take Haas's spot for round 1.

Not a lot of impact or x factor off that bench. Unless TPJ can provide a mix of that from the get go, he's probably more useful off the bench.

That bench seems useful if we have a roll on already. We usually don't.

Not a lot of impact or x factor off that bench. Unless TPJ can provide a mix of that from the get go, he's probably more useful off the bench.

That bench seems useful if we have a roll on already. We usually don't.
I like TPJ at starting prop. Getting him to focus on running hard and doing a job first before the fancy stuff.

I like TPJ at starting prop. Getting him to focus on running hard and doing a job first before the fancy stuff.

Might come at the expense of it though. One of the only true offloading threats we have.

Could work, for sure. But he needs to find the balance between being solid and using his skills.

I'd prefer him off the bench, but he can fill in for Haas for a few weeks and show us what he's got.

Might come at the expense of it though. One of the only true offloading threats we have.

Could work, for sure. But he needs to find the balance between being solid and using his skills.

I'd prefer him off the bench, but he can fill in for Haas for a few weeks and show us what he's got.
True. I just think he is at his best when he runs hard like a prop then looks to offload

Last edited:
Are you saying our team in 21 is worse than the Titans in 2020? They were the previous wooden spooners? They started 20 off 0-2 and we were 2 -0 yet they improved, why the **** can't we? I mean our 21 squad is definitely better than the Titans 20 squad when they started off as wooden spooners.
What?

I said our 21 squad is worse than our 20 squad. I never mentioned the Titans...

Maybe have a lie down mate and get your thoughts together...

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Inventafigure Pty Ltd?
800 for Boyd. His last season he was on 600k. He wasn't the worst in the team in 2020 but your point that we've paid overs in the past is fair enough. Bird may have been good value and other clubs were offering close to the same, we didn't just suddenly offer him 300k more than anyone else just for fun.

We'll never know if Bird would have been great value but hindsight with it's perfect acuity is a beautiful thing. Milford has been dreadful for years and that's one overblown contract we can all agree about. Boyd often gets lumped in with the rest but his final year contract money and Maccas and Gillett's were pretty much all in the same range. He wasn't getting anywhere close to a million, 800k was an exaggeration.
All of those figures have been reported publicly... Are you saying you know the actual contract specifics for each player?

Because I doubt it...

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • IceWorks
  • Matheos
  • KateBroncos1812
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Broncorob
  • Gaz
  • Tmac
  • TimWhatley
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Financeguy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.