PRE-GAME Round 1 - Storm vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

How did you see it? What are your thoughts on him?
His kicks were certainly awkward, not that effective..

He had one good touch where he played into the line that lead to a try.. but he didn't seem that slick?

Yeah I didn't see him do much that stood out

His kicks were certainly awkward, not that effective..

He had one good touch where he played into the line that lead to a try.. but he didn't seem that slick?

Yeah I didn't see him do much that stood out

Hmm yeah. I think he has an understated way of going about his footy. Lockyer was a lot like that.

I thought SOS wasn't particularly good too. His kicks were poorly placed in attack a lot of the time, and he seemed to run the ball quite a lot, and each time it looked predictable. Still, running the ball is better than not running the ball at all, even Kodi puts players into gaps because the defence is threatened by his great running game.

I thought both Sean and Kodi seemed fairly rushed most of the time. Which is understandable considering they are playing in a new system, and also it was their first time playing together as the 6 and 7.

We only saw a small amount of Dearden but from what we saw it seems like he is not short of confidence. He backed himself and took the line on, he also put through a reasonable little grubber which seemed to hold up enough for potential chasers. He certainly did not seem out of his depth which was good to see.

I thought SOS wasn't particularly good too. His kicks were poorly placed in attack a lot of the time, and he seemed to run the ball quite a lot, and each time it looked predictable. Still, running the ball is better than not running the ball at all, even Kodi puts players into gaps because the defence is threatened by his great running game.

Don't think we can judge him by that game. He looked unrattled and perfectly serviceable, like an early doors Cronk, Smith or Cherry Evans rather than a freak like say Bowen, Milford or Barba. He looked more like a proper half than Niko or Milford in their first games. While he didn't show off a massive step or turn of pace, he did the bare minimum with aplomb. More than one could say about Macca, ball in hand or grubbering ahead.

Meanwhile, we appear to have an embarrassment of riches coming up behind him. I'd like to see them all get a full game in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Roberts
5. Isakko
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. Offa
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Gillett

14. Staggs
15. TPJ (I think he offers more as an impact player at this stage)
16. Su’a
17. Fledger

Hoping we can get quick ball to the edges and use Roberts and Bird a lot more this season. Both are world class and the more they touch the ball the better off we will be!

I thought both Sean and Kodi seemed fairly rushed most of the time..

I was impressed with Kodi hitting the gaps. Miles ahead of last year. Maybe time in the Kiwi camp brought that out. Maybe it was Seibold or Andrew Johns. Whatever it was, he's starting to look the goods.

I like the kid. He might even make a good captain if he continues this trajectory.

Last edited:
This
At least if you want to do it.. be quick enough to get back for the kick. Boyd isn't.. he just stands there at marker.... Like, why the **** are you defending at marker?! Gtfo of there

Yep I'm not at all a fan of Boyd in the line, he has been found out time and time again in doing it but he is still quick enough. He got back to that ball he spilled in plenty of time for Proctor's try on the weekend, it was his hands that let him down on that occasion, not his speed.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future when Boyd calls time, one of KNik or Milf do find their way back to 1. Either of them would be great there and I have a sneaking suspicion that Deardon won't be playing QLD Cup too long.

The question becomes about Paix and Boyd the younger, they are both clearly very talented but where do they fit into plans? One of them could be transformed into a hooker but I really like what Turpin offers. Every time he has had a chance, he has looked better than Macca. Lots of headaches ahead for Siebold. If he gets it right, this side is set for the next decade. He gets it wrong, well it will see the back of him as a coach.

Don't think we can judge him by that game. He looked unrattled and perfectly serviceable, like an early doors Cronk, Smith or Cherry Evans rather than a freak like say Bowen, Milford or Barba. He looked more like a proper half than Niko or Milford in their first games. While he didn't show off a massive step or turn of pace, he did the bare minimum with aplomb. More than one could say about Macca, ball in hand or grubbering ahead.

Meanwhile, we appear to have an embarrassment of riches coming up behind him. I'd like to see them all get a full game in the next few weeks.
You and your agenda
Seriously.
Make a post that isn't about McCollough.
I implore you

Yep I'm not at all a fan of Boyd in the line, he has been found out time and time again in doing it but he is still quick enough. He got back to that ball he spilled in plenty of time for Proctor's try on the weekend, it was his hands that let him down on that occasion, not his speed.
Different situation

Defending a kick while we are on our line he cannot do
That was from 30 out

What I didn't like was that even with him defending in the line, they still got around us and scored in the corners very easily. There were some pretty bad reads. I also saw Boyd making some big tackles in the middle that were sorely needed and it begs the question, is he there because he feels he needs to be there (lack of faith) or is it just habit.

Either way, our defence still needs a lot of work.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Roberts
5. Isakko
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. Lodge
9. Macca
10. Offa
11. Glenn
12. Fifita
13. Gillett

14. Staggs
15. TPJ (I think he offers more as an impact player at this stage)
16. Su’a
17. Fledger

Hoping we can get quick ball to the edges and use Roberts and Bird a lot more this season. Both are world class and the more they touch the ball the better off we will be!
17. Fledger

Oooh your in for a paddlin!

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future when Boyd calls time, one of KNik or Milf do find their way back to 1. Either of them would be great there and I have a sneaking suspicion that Deardon won't be playing QLD Cup too long.

The question becomes about Paix and Boyd the younger, they are both clearly very talented but where do they fit into plans? One of them could be transformed into a hooker but I really like what Turpin offers. Every time he has had a chance, he has looked better than Macca. Lots of headaches ahead for Siebold. If he gets it right, this side is set for the next decade. He gets it wrong, well it will see the back of him as a coach.

Dearden won't be playing ISC. He will play MM and then see in June how he is going.

Dearden won't be playing ISC. He will play MM and then see in June how he is going.

For fact or just guessing, I think they'll want to put him with the big boys sooner rather than later. He's a decent size for a half.

For fact or just guessing, I think they'll want to put him with the big boys sooner rather than later. He's a decent size for a half.

Not guessing. Plan is he plays MM which only goes until May and then take it from there.

O’Sullivan and Andre Savelio to Norths this week.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/07/matt-gillett-to-consult-parker-as-he-prepares-to-nail-new-role/

Sounds like Gillo will be 13 for the foreseeable future.

"I prefer to be an edge player but the way things are looking I might be in the middle for a little bit. It's a change but it's something I am pretty excited about," Gillett said.
"I have been stuck on the edge for a while now so the new role in the middle might be good for me. It might give me more time with my hands on the ball and a bit more involvement. Hopefully I can nail that role.
“My first training session was a bit chaotic, I was bit everywhere but I am learning and doing plenty of video. I will have a chat to Corey [Parker] about how he got around the park at 13 and what worked well for him. I can take a bit of advice from Corey because he did a great job."

Active Now

• sooticus
  • Santa
  • MrMoore
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Alec
  • johnyE
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • Wolfie
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Johnny92
  • barker
  • Griffo
  • Tim K
  • Broncosgirl
  • Behold
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.