CommBank Stadium

Friday
Night
20:00

Broncos

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
This, Slater became a better weapon when he was alive around the middle of the ruck. You don't need him being available for hit ups on exit sets you want him up and about on tackle two/three on quick play the balls, off an offload or change of angle pass. Splitting defence wide open and creating half breaks and broken defence where you can capitalise on play four and five.

It's the great thing about Teddy, he is always alive around the ruck waiting for any type of scraps to fall from the table and will make you pay if you miss him sniffing about.

When your popping up in plays in good ball and bad ball areas the defence becomes terrified of where you will be. At the moment good sides have worked out when Reece will pop up. The above would give Reece more opportunities at broken or ragged defensive lines. We also need to be prepared to allow Reece to go down with the ball. Another possible mind issue he has, " I can't go down with the ball because I am needed the next play,". The Broncos need to have more options to allow Reece to play freely and not be thinking of the next play he must be live for.

It could explain why he has also moved away from some of the play from last year. The chance runs on fifth tackles down the short side for example. I honestly think that facial fracture took a bit out of him and he is covering up being a bit gun shy, while also feeling he has to be available on every back line play. He has been blistering at times but not himself.

I have faith he and the club can work it out. We have enough weapons, to give Reece some piece of mind.
You’re exactly right.

I always thought Walsh would be way more dangerous if he just continually pushed up through the middle of the park more - looking for offloads and tired forwards. He has at times, but seems to prefer receiving the ball two passes wide. And fair enough, he’s pretty good at that.

My concern is, IIRC he’s been working with Darius Boyd (*vomit*) at the club. Boyd was NOT a fullback who sniffed around the middle. Ever! He was exclusively a sweeping type fullback.

I hope Walsh isn’t being turned into a Darius-type fullback (but faster and with more heart/brains) and is getting a more varied education. I can’t wait for him to work with Slater again. He improved after origin last year.

My concern is, IIRC he’s been working with Darius Boyd (*vomit*) at the club. Boyd was NOT a fullback who sniffed around the middle. Ever! He was exclusively a sweeping type fullback.

and he did it better than anyone else in the game. Walsh is already very good at pushing up through the middle, perfecting the sweep play will be an added string to his bow, that will make him even more dangerous.

not only that, but Boyd was exceptionally good at organising the defence, which is something else he can work with Walsh on that will benefit him on the long run

Just some stats for Josh Rogers in ISC this year.

7 games
3 tries
4 try assists
30 goals (81% goal conversion rate)
114 avg run metres
12 tackle breaks
2 line breaks
5 line break assists
6 offloads
1 forced drop out
92 tackles (86.8% tackle efficiency)

Yea we looked like if had at least kept Mam on the field and had no sin bin, we might of had a chance to win that. But I think the loss in the long run will be better for us. Winning that might have covered up that really bad first half.

Yup, just like the GF... 😔 We have got to fix up our first halves. I wish the Storm game in the finals was our template, if we play like that no-one would even get close.

I hope to see a very different mindset this week. If we put the flashy stuff away until we fucking earn it, we'll win this by 50. And FFS don't we owe the Eels some payback for recent years (ignore that we beat them both times last year, that's not enough lol)

Yup, just like the GF... 😔 We have got to fix up our first halves. I wish the Storm game in the finals was our template, if we play like that no-one would even get close.

I hope to see a very different mindset this week. If we put the flashy stuff away until we fucking earn it, we'll win this by 50. And FFS don't we owe the Eels some payback for recent years (ignore that we beat them both times last year, that's not enough lol)
If we don't beat the Eels, who are without Moses and Gutho, ww might as well start preparing for next year.

You’re exactly right.

I always thought Walsh would be way more dangerous if he just continually pushed up through the middle of the park more - looking for offloads and tired forwards. He has at times, but seems to prefer receiving the ball two passes wide. And fair enough, he’s pretty good at that.

I hope Walsh isn’t being turned into a Darius-type fullback (but faster and with more heart/brains) and is getting a more varied education. I can’t wait for him to work with Slater again. He improved after origin last year.
Some people remember Darius Boyd differently to me... Aside from his final two years (where he had literally no good players around him) he was an outstanding FB. Even JT was shit in his last year of NRL from memory.

Has anyone

Could and does also work the other way. Better structure and players around you mean you have less area to cover and a clearer role defensively.

When i have spoken to blokes who have played NRL and QCup regularly they always tell me NRL is easier in someways because of what you said. You do get players playing for themselves a bit more in QCup because they are trying to stand out and get noticed.

When i have spoken to blokes who have played NRL and QCup regularly they always tell me NRL is easier in someways because of what you said. You do get players playing for themselves a bit more in QCup because they are trying to stand out and get noticed.

OK I can understand that .
Similar in cricket for bowlers . Higher grades have better fielders so more chances get taken .
The pace of the game and fatigue would be more the issue in the top grade I would think .
So , putting on my Brad Arthars hat . Run plenty of forwards traffic at Rogers early and see if he still makes the right decisions later in halves when he is tired against outside backs with attacking shapes .
If he goes alright he might get a new lease of life in the big show .

He played NYC for the Titans and had a train and trial back there in 2021. This is his third crack.

I'm not sure that really answered the question though. I think he meant what was the reason neither of these worked out?

Well maybe he will turn into a late bloomer like Cody Walker and start killing it for us and be our long term half after Reynolds retires.

I'm not sure that really answered the question though. I think he meant what was the reason neither of these worked out?

Well maybe he will turn into a late bloomer like Cody Walker and start killing it for us and be our long term half after Reynolds retires.
I'm very partial to a late bloomer. They always bring great surprises along with them. Hope this is the case with Josh, I mean who would not look good with some of the talent we have running around at the moment surrounding them?

If he kills it he could become our very own Buck.

Keen to see what Rodgers can do, but Madden is a replacement level NRL player and if/when called upon, im confident he can do the job asked of him.

This is also a test for Mam and Walsh here. They need to take responsibility of steering the team around.

Which probably means reining in some of the off-the cuff football they like to play and instead develop some nous and mature football for the moment.

Again, long term I think this spell will help round out their overall game.

By my reckoning, we can lose another 6 games for the remainder of the season and all things beig equal get the top 4.

I'm very partial to a late bloomer. They always bring great surprises along with them. Hope this is the case with Josh, I mean who would not look good with some of the talent we have running around at the moment surrounding them?

If he kills it he could become our very own Buck.
One thing he did in his game last year was play conservatively .
Which might be good with Selwyn , Reece and Ezra a little trick shot happy of late .
Will he play right and the #7 role or will Ezra ?

Yea we looked like if had at least kept Mam on the field and had no sin bin, we might of had a chance to win that. But I think the loss in the long run will be better for us. Winning that might have covered up that really bad first half.

I think if we didn't lose Mariner and Ezra, we absolutely do win that game.

We were coming for them until we lost both of them. That played a big part in Roosters running away with it because we just ran out of gas.

One thing he did in his game last year was play conservatively .
Which might be good with Selwyn , Reece and Ezra a little trick shot happy of late .
Will he play right and the #7 role or will Ezra ?
I'm hoping he plays 7 and just gives us a steady first receiver/kicking game to allow Ezra to keep up his roaming. I'd expect Ezra will also put in his short kicking game when there is a decent opportunity for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Morkel
  • Foordy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • whykickamoocow
  • maddo
  • Pablo
  • Xzei
  • Fatboy
  • Horseheadsup
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • blacknwhite
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.