7:50pm - Wests Tigers vs South Sydney Rabbitohs

Saturday
3:00pm - Penrith Panthers vs Warriors
5:30pm - Melbourne Storm vs Gold Coast Titans
7:50pm - Manly Sea Eagles vs Brisbane Broncos

Sunday
2:00pm - Newcastle Knights vs Canberra Raiders
4:00pm - Sydney Roosters vs Parramatta Eels

Gray could return for the Rabbitohs this week, named on an extended bench. That would be a boost for them.

It's rumoured that Cody Walker will be moving to fullback to help spark the Rabbitoh's attack. That would be a good move for them IMO. Johnston just isn't a fullback and he just doesn't add anything back there whereas Cody does.

Gray could return for the Rabbitohs this week, named on an extended bench. That would be a boost for them.

It's rumoured that Cody Walker will be moving to fullback to help spark the Rabbitoh's attack. That would be a good move for them IMO. Johnston just isn't a fullback and he just doesn't add anything back there whereas Cody does.

having said that ... they weaken their halves IMO, as i don't rate Sutton at 6

I heard on ABC radio this morning that the NRL will be playing an "ALTERNATE" National Anthem before games this week for indigenous round

Waltzing Matilda? I cannot believe some people want that to be the national anthem. It might have been cool back in the 1800s.

apparently it is some version written back in 2009.

they played a bit on the radio. music is same.

some word changes appear to be:

Let us rejoice ---> Celebrate as One

young and Free ---> peace and harmony

probably heaps others

It should be an intriguing detail to what's looking like a big round in the National Rugby League competition.

So tonight we've got the 8th placed Canterbury Bulldogs playing host to the 9th placed North Queensland Cowboys. A loss for either side could see them finish as low as 11th by Sunday.

The North Queensland Cowboys received some mixed news in the lead up to the contest. They'll be without their skipper Johnathan Thurston who is believed to be out between a period of 4 to 8 weeks depending on the extent of the injury but they will welcome back custodian Lachlan Coote, dynamic hooker Jake Granville as well as experienced backrow Shaun Fensom.

Meanwhile for Canterbury the game shapes as a nice audition for Foran's halves partner in 2018. The former Sea Eagles, Eel and Warrior has inked a 3 year deal with the Belmore based club and there's been murmurs surrounding the future of Mbye who was being shopped around to Melbourne not that long ago. There's only been one change to the side that beat Canberra in Round 9 with Matt Frawley coming in for Josh Reynolds who's still recovering from a torn hamstring. Frawley has been impressive since he made his NRL debut in Round 5 and many feel he could form a more effective halves combination with Mbye moving forward.

The biggest challenge for the Cowboys will be controlling the ruck. Ever since captain Matt Scott tore his ACL against the Brisbane Broncos in Round 2, the Cowboys have struggled to control the middle of the field with Patrick Kaufusi, Ben Spina & Corey Jensen failing to provide the same production that Scott, Tamou & Hannant provided the Cowboys last season. Considering they're up against Klemmer, Graham, Tolman & Kasiano, the Cowboys big men are going to have to suck it up in order to provide Coote & Morgan the space they need to dominate.

The Cowboys will place all their hope in the return of Granville who has been absent since the Cowboys Round 5 against the South Sydney Rabbitohs. Granville poses more of a threat from dummy half than Hampton, Leary & Thompson, enabling his forwards to make more metres as the defence has to remain on alert whenever Jake has the ball.

Verdict - I expect this to be a typical Canterbury win. Very tight in the first half with both teams trading a few tries a piece before the Bulldogs eventually run the Cowboys down in the middle of the second half.

Player To Watch - Brenko Lee. The former Raider has had a fairly up and down year for the Doggies but when he's on song he can be a difference maker. Up against one of the best defensive players in the game, Kane Linnett, tonight's game shapes as an important milestone in the development of Lee.

Surely Coote in the halves and Ponga out the back is better than Ray Fucking Thompson?

Surely Coote in the halves and Ponga out the back is better than Ray Fucking Thompson?

"Ponga out the back"

fart_o_937620.gif

Indeed.

I thought the go would have been to play Kyle Laybutt after his impressive stint for Queensland Residents. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if Green does initiate a late change with Laybutt coming in for Hampton and Thompson being shifted into the back-up hooker role.

At least it would give the Cows some much needed insight into life post-JT.

In saying all that, I expect a much better effort from the Cows than what they produced against Parra. With Coote and Granville back, they should have more direction.

Leaving Ponga out, who has been their best player the past month or so, proves that Green is either clueless or vindictive. I'm going with the former given the reduced minutes JT13 has been getting.

Probably doesn't want to help the Knights by giving Ponga more game time than he has to.

Probably doesn't want to help the Knights by giving Ponga more game time than he has to.

But in so doing, is hurting the club he coaches imo. Wrong move....unless of course he intends to do what Pete suggests and make a late change to bring Laybutt in.

It's the cowboys. **** em let Morgan and co tard it up

Leaving Ponga out, who has been their best player the past month or so, proves that Green is either clueless or vindictive. I'm going with the former given the reduced minutes JT13 has been getting.

Ponga is not good at the link play. Doesn't know how to chime in yet. Coote is very good at this.

He can't defend in the front line at 6 either as he would get run over.

Green has made the right calls imo.

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Galah
  • Mustafur
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • bazza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.