vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=1]Manly Sea Eagles take over the Broncos’ Suncorp Stadium as the ‘home team’ on Saturday night[/h]WHERE is Brookvale Oval? That’s in Queensland.

Well it will be this Saturday night when the Sea Eagles turn the Broncos’ cherished Suncorp Stadium into their own maroon and white fortress.

Not even Buck the bronco will be there to canter around Suncorp Stadium.

Having shifted a home match to Brisbane as part of an NRL double-header, Manly are playing hardball with the Broncos, who will be made to feel like second-class citizens in their own home.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Brisbane wanted to have their own creature comforts but were denied by the Sea Eagles, who stand to make about $350,000 for the venture north.

Aside from taking over Brisbane’s luxurious home dressing room, Manly will also use the Broncos’ warm-up and recovery areas.

As the venue hirer, Manly also told Brisbane they cannot use their own cheerleaders or have their mascot on the field.
Manly will fly their own cheerleaders and mascots to Brisbane.

Brisbane will be unable to undertake promotional activities on the plazas outside the ground near the Wally Lewis statue.

Suncorp Stadium — with a 52,000 sell-out inside — will be Manly’s home game for 80 minutes.

“We need a home ground advantage so we will take all their glamorous dressing rooms and benefits,” Manly chairman Scott Penn said.

“We’re the ground hirer for the night so we get all the home ground advantages. We need to turn it into our home ground as best we can.

“This is an away game for Brisbane for the night so they need to adhere to the terms.”

There won’t be much sympathy for Brisbane, who have a cushy seven-day turnaround most weeks and play each home game on a Friday night.

Melbourne, the other co-hirers for the night, have also let their feelings be known.

The Storm will play North Queensland in the opening match of the double-header, and have told the Cowboys they can’t hand out Johnathan Thurston face masks to fans before kick-off.

The Sea Eagles will further infiltrate Brisbane by holding a coaching clinic at Brothers Junior Rugby League football club and a fan promotion at Queen Street Mall.

“It’s a great opportunity for us to showcase our talents to our Queensland supporters,” Penn said.

“At a baseline, the match will be worth more than $300,000 plus a share of merchandise. It is certainly of significant benefit to the club.”

Reminded Manly lose money on many matches at outdated Brookvale, Penn said: “The away games we are taking to Brisbane and to Perth (round 19 against New Zealand Warriors) may effectively pay for the losses of the other 10 games we have at Brookie. It should be a sell-out, which is brilliant.

“The boys love playing in that atmosphere and I think having a double-header up there is a great initiative and we’re really looking forward to it.”

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

Last edited:
NRL - Round 10
Saturday, 14th of May, 2016

1420543093.png
1420536256.png
1. Brett Stewart
Matthew Wright
Jamie Lyon (c)
Steve Matai
Brayden Wiliame
Dylan Walker
Daly Cherry-Evans
Darcy Lussick
Matt Parcell
Nate Myles
Lewis Brown
Martin Taupau
Jake Trbojevic

Blake Leary
Addin Fonua-Blake
Brenton Lawrence
Siosaia Vave
1. Darius Boyd
Corey Oates
Jack Reed
James Roberts
Jordan Kahu
Anthony Milford
Ben Hunt
Josh McGuire
Travis Waddell
Jarrod Wallace
Sam Thaiday
Matt Gillett
Corey Parker (c)

Herman Ese'ese
Jai Arrow
Joe Ofahengaue
Kodi Nikorima
Coach: Trent BarrettCoach: Wayne Bennett
Referees: Jared Maxwell, Gavin Reynolds
Sideline Officials: Nick Beashel, Clayton Sharpe
Video Referees: Ashley Klein, Bryan Norrie, Jason Robinson
Kick-Off: 7:30pm
Broadcast: Fox Sports 1

Journalists (and I use that term very lightly) love to sink the boot in at every chance don't they. SO many side little jabs in that article, it feels so good to be hated again.

I hope Broncos flog Manly like last year and play their victory song when it's over.

Apparently Matty Johns is going to be doing a bit of calling for this game..

Great....

We're going to have to put up with one of his most used lines.

"Geez he's a good player."

He says that about every single player..

Last edited:
Manly Sea Eagles take over the Broncos’ Suncorp Stadium as the ‘home team’ on Saturday night

WHERE is Brookvale Oval? That’s in Queensland.

Well it will be this Saturday night when the Sea Eagles turn the Broncos’ cherished Suncorp Stadium into their own maroon and white fortress.

Not even Buck the bronco will be there to canter around Suncorp Stadium.

Having shifted a home match to Brisbane as part of an NRL double-header, Manly are playing hardball with the Broncos, who will be made to feel like second-class citizens in their own home.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Brisbane wanted to have their own creature comforts but were denied by the Sea Eagles, who stand to make about $350,000 for the venture north.

Aside from taking over Brisbane’s luxurious home dressing room, Manly will also use the Broncos’ warm-up and recovery areas.

As the venue hirer, Manly also told Brisbane they cannot use their own cheerleaders or have their mascot on the field.
Manly will fly their own cheerleaders and mascots to Brisbane.

Brisbane will be unable to undertake promotional activities on the plazas outside the ground near the Wally Lewis statue.

Suncorp Stadium — with a 52,000 sell-out inside — will be Manly’s home game for 80 minutes.

“We need a home ground advantage so we will take all their glamorous dressing rooms and benefits,” Manly chairman Scott Penn said.

“We’re the ground hirer for the night so we get all the home ground advantages. We need to turn it into our home ground as best we can.

“This is an away game for Brisbane for the night so they need to adhere to the terms.”

There won’t be much sympathy for Brisbane, who have a cushy seven-day turnaround most weeks and play each home game on a Friday night.

Melbourne, the other co-hirers for the night, have also let their feelings be known.

The Storm will play North Queensland in the opening match of the double-header, and have told the Cowboys they can’t hand out Johnathan Thurston face masks to fans before kick-off.

The Sea Eagles will further infiltrate Brisbane by holding a coaching clinic at Brothers Junior Rugby League football club and a fan promotion at Queen Street Mall.

“It’s a great opportunity for us to showcase our talents to our Queensland supporters,” Penn said.

“At a baseline, the match will be worth more than $300,000 plus a share of merchandise. It is certainly of significant benefit to the club.”

Reminded Manly lose money on many matches at outdated Brookvale, Penn said: “The away games we are taking to Brisbane and to Perth (round 19 against New Zealand Warriors) may effectively pay for the losses of the other 10 games we have at Brookie. It should be a sell-out, which is brilliant.

“The boys love playing in that atmosphere and I think having a double-header up there is a great initiative and we’re really looking forward to it.”

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

Get your hand off it, Scott.

Manly fans don't even like driving across a bridge to play in Sydney, I seriously doubt many of them are gonna travel to Brisbane.

Manly fans don't even like driving across a bridge to play in Sydney, I seriously doubt many of them are gonna travel to Brisbane.

Correct. I know a few. Asked if they were going to the game. "It's better on the TV". Way to support your team, slack fuckers.

YOU’VE got to hand it to Manly, don’t you? Just when you think they can’t make you hate them any more than you already do, they find a way.Here they are, flying into town on the taxpayers’ dime on Saturday night for what is shaping up as the biggest club footy event in Brisbane since … well, since March 6, 1988 when the Broncos played their first ever match against (who else?) the Manly Sea Eagles — and they go and make it even bigger.
Oh sure, theoretically it is their home game, and by the letter of the law they’re probably entitled to the home dressing room.
And OK, if they really want to split hairs about it, they can say they don’t want the Broncos cheer-squad bobbing up and down on the sideline.
But when they start messing with Buck the Wonderhorse, that means war.
After all, it’s not as if they’re really the “hirer” of the stadium.

That would infer some sort of investment and risk.

What has happened is that Suncorp Stadium, with some help from Queensland Events, has made Manly a deal even they couldn’t refuse.
With their financial return guaranteed, instead of playing in the rustic confines of a shabby suburban park, they run out onto the best rugby league ground in the world front of 52,000 spectators.
Most of whom will be booing them which, of course, is exactly how they like it.
One thing you have to say about the Sea Eagles — and their fans — they get it.
They know that sport is theatre and every show needs a good guy and a bad guy. Someone to cheer, someone to boo.
In the AFL that someone is Collingwood. US baseball has the New York Yankees. In the EPL it’s Manchester United and Chelsea.
And we’ve got Manly to boo, simple as that. They know it, and not only doesn’t it upset them, they use it to their advantage — just as the Broncos once did.

Back in the early days, Wayne Bennett worked hard to create an “it’s us against the world” atmosphere around the club.
The siege mentality was a key part of Bennett’s strategy of hardening his players to crack the psychological wall of the “Sydney comp”

It worked pretty well that night in 1988 when King Wally and the boys belted the reigning premiers 44-10, and it kept working so well that one day Bennett realised he didn’t need it any more. “Sydney” and all that word once meant, no longer held any fears.
Bennett came up with a new plan, and everyone went back to hating Manly.
And Manly? Well, as those T-shirts they wear whenever they go outside say, they hate us too.
It’s like something I saw in the UK a couple of years ago.
I was visiting The Den, the home ground of Millwall FC, the most feared and despised club in English football.

At one end of the grandstand is a wall of remembrance, where members can place a plaque in honour of a dearly departed relative or friend.
Among such epithets as “Gone but never forgotten”, “A Millwall Man all his life” and “Loved his family, loved his club” was one which simply used the Millwall unofficial motto that is chanted by supporters at all their matches.
Then there was this one.
“In memory of Ron Ives,” it read. “No-one Likes Us. We Don’t Care.”
I thought of Manly when I read that — and you should too.
So boo if you’re lucky enough to be there on Saturday night. Boo loud and long.
They won’t care … but it might make Buck the Wonderhorse feel a little better.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

I couldn't agree more with this statement

But when they start messing with Buck the Wonderhorse, that means war.

Correct. I know a few. Asked if they were going to the game. "It's better on the TV". Way to support your team, slack fuckers.
We've got one of those too... :thefinger:

Must be all the storm & cows fans have booked out the motels. Try & get a room in the city it's like SOO

Big test for Wallace starting this game, a lot will be expected of him.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles the extra pressure.

Big test for Wallace starting this game, a lot will be expected of him.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles the extra pressure.

Yep. Gonna be watching Wallace, Joe-O, Ese'ese and Arrow closely in this one.

Oh, and I will be filthy if we lose to the Manly scum in this one!

Surely in front of a big crowd, coming off a disappointing loss we win well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Sproj
  • achievedrap
  • Griffo
  • heartly87
  • Allo
  • Santa
  • Manofoneway
  • Tmac
  • ChewThePhatt
  • johnny plath
  • Fitzy
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Financeguy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
  • Kev_Guz
  • Maroon4life
  • broncsgoat
  • winslow_wong
... and 51 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.