PRE-GAME [Round 11, 2024] Broncos vs Sea Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
I don't disagree that the 6 agains are shit, but I don't see how it injures a player. If they have to work hard, the conditioning coaches need to sort that out. If sorting that out means injuries to players in training, we need new coaches.

It's almost there is a limit to what even a body in peak physical condition can take...

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
I don't disagree that the 6 agains are shit, but I don't see how it injures a player. If they have to work hard, the conditioning coaches need to sort that out. If sorting that out means injuries to players in training, we need new coaches.
As a semi-professional athlete *cough* these days, it looks to me like we are over training. (Over training is the leading cause of injury in runners). Anyway, to be fit and keep up with the speed of the game we really need to be training the house down. So it's like a vicious cycle.

Training too hard causes injury -> not training hard enough = losing pace with the front runners of the comp because of the speed of the game

We need to look at Penrith (even They are starting to cop these injuries too), but they seem to have a better grip on fitness things. Do they have a sneaky "legal" peptide type program underway we could look at utilising too?

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
It's almost there is a limit to what even a body in peak physical condition can take...

How does it add up when looking at the entire league though? Are we seeing increased injuries the past few years?

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
How does it add up when looking at the entire league though? Are we seeing increased injuries the past few years?

Anecdotally, it definitely seems like it. Looking at a few articles, it doesn't necessarily seem to be the case that injuries are on the rise on a broad level, but this year specifically hamstring injuries have increased significantly - that's according to this article: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/05...-injuries-on-the-rise-in-the-nrl-this-season/. The question is, is that an outlier, or is it the result of a few seasons of faster football having long-term effects on player health?

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
Anecdotally, it definitely seems like it. Looking at a few articles, it doesn't necessarily seem to be the case that injuries are on the rise on a broad level, but this year specifically hamstring injuries have increased significantly - that's according to this article: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/05...-injuries-on-the-rise-in-the-nrl-this-season/. The question is, is that an outlier, or is it the result of a few seasons of faster football having long-term effects on player health?

Ran out of edit time. Interesting that there is mention in there that there were no specific rule changes coming into the year, but there has been an increase in ball-in-play time - which I'd suggest results from changes in referee interpretation or game management. Does that go back to trying to massage the product into being as quick and exciting as possible? If so, is the damage - side-lining stars - worth it?

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Ran out of edit time. Interesting that there is mention in there that there were no specific rule changes coming into the year, but there has been an increase in ball-in-play time - which I'd suggest results from changes in referee interpretation or game management. Does that go back to trying to massage the product into being as quick and exciting as possible? If so, is the damage - side-lining stars - worth it?
I can't imagine the powers that be will be thrilled that Walsh, Cleary, Pappy etc are sidelined for magic round. But since the games are already sold out they won't care enough.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Something is up when every club is in injury crisis.

Maybe removing the scrums from kicking the ball out, adding the 6 again and basically making the game faster is causing it
I hated this 6 agains since they came into existence. More so, it was us who became the ginny pigs to enforce this rule against Manly in the Magic Round few years ago.

Hate PVL for turning the good game of ours into a hound race. Faster, faster & faster. **** you, you hound racing moron. There’s only so much a human body can take physically.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
You could argue that over half of all teams are missing their most important and/or most entertaining player:

Broncos Walsh/Reynolds
Manly Turbo
Knights Ponga
Eels Moses
Panthers Cleary
Warriors Johnson
Roosters Manu
Storm Pap/Hughes
Titans Tino/Brimson
Raiders Fogarty
Sharks Hynes

B

Brotherdu

NRL Player
Feb 20, 2017
You could argue that over half of all teams are missing their most important and/or most entertaining player:

Broncos Walsh/Reynolds
Manly Turbo
Knights Ponga
Eels Moses
Panthers Cleary
Warriors Johnson
Roosters Manu
Storm Pap/Hughes
Titans Tino/Brimson
Raiders Fogarty
Sharks Hynes
Gutho is another big out for Eels.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017

Broncos Walsh/Reynolds
Manly Turbo
Knights Ponga
Eels Moses
Panthers Cleary
Warriors Johnson
Roosters Manu
Storm Pap/Hughes
Titans Tino/Brimson
Raiders Fogarty
Sharks Hynes

How do busted knees , feet and biceps fit into the "Da game is too fast " narrative ? They just implode because of fatigue and it`s all PVL`s fault . OK ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • broncsgoat
  • Big Del
  • Jedhead
  • Santa
  • Mister Wright
  • Hurrijo
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.