vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubts that JT will be immortalised at some stage and should be classed as one of the greats to play the game. I think his stats and awards won reflect that. But I don't agree with him being the greatest player of all time due to his sooking. Talent wise he may be classed as good as Lockyer, but Lockyer never whinged or took digs at referees or officials after a loss. He copped late hit after late hit and was constantly targeted but never made it an excuse. To me, that is why Thurston will never be the GOAT.

Exactly, Locky got flattened plenty of times and never sooked like JT does... As great as JT is, he will never be as good as Locky.

How in the blazes are Glenn and Macca fit to play? What magical medical treatment are they using to stick muscle back onto bone or fix tears? I don't understand how this is possible. Not against it but damn, some magical efforts from the support squad.

I hope they don't kill each other on Friday night for qlds sake

I'd be very surprised if it was JT that was quoted in that article ..... sounds more like Green trying to sway the refs.

IF JT does get hit late with a dog shot, fair enough .... possibly send the offender to the bin for 10, but as long as JT runs right to the line to commit the defender.... he's fair game to get smashed !!

I'd be very surprised if it was JT that was quoted in that article ..... sounds more like Green trying to sway the refs.

IF JT does get hit late with a dog shot, fair enough .... possibly send the offender to the bin for 10, but as long as JT runs right to the line to commit the defender.... he's fair game to get smashed !!

I saw it on the news. JT was having his say on it too. Pretty much the same thing Green said.

Got some good match-ups this week.

Morgan vs Milford
Thurston vs Hunt
Coote vs Boyd
Scott vs McGuire

The two match-ups I'm most looking forward to though are Linnett vs Roberts and Feldt vs Oates.

Linnett and Roberts are desperate to be picked for the Blues side and this is their last chance to convince the selectors and Dailey to pick them.

And you've got Feldt and Oates fighting for a wing spot in the QLD side.

It's gonna be great to watch.

Last edited:
There are 3 things which I will be watching for in particular:

1. How well we control the middle 3rd;

2. How, and how well, and how often we use Roberts

3. How well we contain the combinations and excellent execution of Thurston - Morgan, especially Morgan's potential roles as extra FB and centre.

Hunt and Milfords kicking game will have to be on song the whole game, we can't afford to give the Cowboys cheap field position.

Of course to do this we have to get a good roll on in the forwards.

Think we'll get done up there, 1-12.

As long as we play relatively well, have no injuries and are in the game for most of the match, I can tolerate a loss to the defending champs at home, no shame in that.

Last edited:
Schick Hydro Preview: North Queensland Cowboys v Brisbane Broncos
1300SMILES Stadium
Friday, 7.50pm

You know it's a special kind of rivalry when the game dwarfs an individual milestone as great as Johnathan Thurston's 250th for North Queensland.

Thurston is one of the greatest to ever play our sport, yet all we can think about is two of the league's powerhouses coming together once more, the explosive abilities of Michael Morgan and Anthony Milford, the colossal clash between State of Origin bookends and the sheer volume of representative talent ready to push their final cases before State of Origin teams are announced.

The two most recent match-ups between these teams have gone to golden point extra time, so heck, why not make it three? These sides possess the most electric attacks in the competition, yet defence has been the order of the day in recent encounters. Such a game is guaranteed to be won by a moment or two, and both teams have equally as much firepower to manufacture them. It's just up to which can hold their nerve the longest.

The hosts have named an unchanged side for the fifth game in a row, while the Broncos get back some bigtime talent in Andrew McCullough, Alex Glenn and Adam Blair, which pushes Jai Arrow, Herman Ese'ese and Travis Waddell out of the side.

Watch out Cowboys: The NRL's second-best defensive team followed by the best is a probably a challenge North Queensland did not want in the lead-up to State of Origin. Just one game ago they were atop NRL.com's power rankings, but they've started sliding and could slip further in the rankings with a loss this week. They were victims of their own frustration not just last week, but at Suncorp Stadium in Round 4, and Johnathan Thurston has questioned whether the group has learned to cope with missed opportunities. The Cowboys cannot afford that again if they want to beat the league's best, home or away. Brisbane boasts the fewest points conceded of any team this season, so it is up to 'JT' to keep his men calm and take the few chances when presented.

Watch out Broncos: The Cowboys' right edge had the Broncos in fits last time they played. When in need of points in the big moments the Cowboys head right these days, and it's not hard to see why. With the maturation of the Morgan-Ethan Lowe combination and speed of Justin O'Neill and Kyle Feldt on the outside, Thurston is now devoting his attention to organising his athletes on that side of the ground. Combining the grand final and Round 4, five of the six Cowboys tries came from the right-hand side, so the Broncos need the returning Glenn to slot straight back in and glue that left edge together.

Key match-up: Lachlan Coote v Darius Boyd. We could be talking about a contest of Origin custodians here, with Coote publicly endorsed by NSW coach Laurie Daley and Boyd beating Greg Inglis to the Kangaroos fullback spot in Rep Round. Both are genuine playmaking fullbacks who frequently link up in attack (seven try assists for Coote, five for Boyd), but the Cowboy has arguably the more rounded skill set, while Boyd is stronger and more athletic. Coote (43 kicks this season) is the Cowboys' second kicking option, but Boyd (140 metres per game) almost doubles his average run metres. Defensively, both are among the league's best positional defenders and bomb defusers, and can more than hold their own one-on-one – as a try-bound James Roberts found out in Round 4.

The history: Played 44; Cowboys 12, Broncos 30, Drawn 2. Befitting such a close matchup, these two sides have split the last six games, with Brisbane claiming the latest edition back in Round 4. The Broncos posted a blowout win in Round 4 last year, but the three games since could not have been any tighter. The Broncos took the qualifying final by just four points, while the last two have gone in to golden point extra time.

What are the odds: Almost 80 per cent of the money is on Brisbane in head-to-head betting. Sportsbet punters think it will be a close game, with the draw the best backed margin, followed by Brisbane at 1-12.

Match officials: Referee: Ben Cummins; Assistant Referee: Chris Sutton; Touch Judges: Nick Beashel and Michael Wise; Review Officials: Luke Patten and Jared Maxwell.

Televised: Channel 9 – Live coverage from 7:30pm; Fox Sports 1 – Live coverage from 7:30pm.

The way we see it: This one is the proverbial coin flip; it's the tightest matchup we have seen in the NRL in many years. Not only are these the most talented teams in the competition, but they are also two of the most consistent. When the big moment comes, Thurston will orchestrate something to get Michael Morgan involved, while the Broncos are just as capable going either left or right. And the forward packs will probably battle out a stalemate. For no other reason than the fact that we landed on 'tails', we'll go with the Broncos by a field goal in golden point. Why not?

Cowboys v Broncos: Schick Preview - NRL.com

Exactly, Locky got flattened plenty of times and never sooked like JT does... As great as JT is, he will never be as good as Locky.
When he has he ever done that?. Can you quote a specific instance or are you just remembering other players, coaches and commentators making comments about the treatment that is dished out to him?

When he has he ever done that?. Can you quote a specific instance or are you just remembering other players, coaches and commentators making comments about the treatment that is dished out to him?

It's come up a few times in recent seasons where JT has had a sook about being targeted with" LATE " hits.. I can't remember specific instances but the players, coaches and commentators make comments and discuss after JT has his whinge. Beau Scott shook him up pretty good in one game which sparked debate and when you watch some of these hits in slow mo it looks worse. I hope JT has nightmares about Blair for 6 months after Friday night after all this, I don't want him to do anything illegal but I hope the first time JT runs to the line Blair belts him and says "it's gona be a long night champ"!!!

Here is one of the many things that Thurston has whinged about.

The hits he copped last year against the Souths whenever he was kicking. All of them legal hits.

I like the part where he says "it's part of footy" but still whinges..

And there was also a time when he was mic'd up. Lui was hit a split second after passing the ball and Thurston is there complaining to the ref that it was late..

He is starting to become like Gallen. He is getting very close to it..

“I’m going to have to start protecting myself because how else am I going to get f---ing protected?” a frustrated Thurston said.

“Look, I understand it’s part of footy, I’m going to get tackled in the air, but there should be some protection.”

Asked which Souths players fouled him, Thurston said: “I won’t name anyone mate, it’s part of footy.

“But I can’t brace myself in mid-air ... is it legal?

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited:
I liked Matt Elliott's piece on NRL.com about how teams breakdown defensive structures. He looked at the "ESP" as called it between Hunt and Milford, the way they seem to just know where each other is, and to combine accorrdingly to shred the defensive line, with the footage of the brilliant in-out being a perfect example of that. The more I think about it, the more I realize just how dificult it can be to defend such a combination.

Also, I am glad Macca is back. He may not give the fastest service from dummy half, but he seems to be the glue which keeps the whole structure together in defense and attack, separate to his own contributions in defense, running and kicking which can';t be underestimated.

I would also like to see, as I go on and on about, more of Roberts, not just simply setting him up to run, but using him creatively as a 4th playmaker, say in a similar way to how the Cowboys use Morgan (in combination with JT).

As for Thurston's gripes, for mine, if he can't handle the heat, he can get out of the kitchen and return to the playpen.

Last edited:
If Thurston doesn't want to get hit, don't take it to the line. Play pussy boy out back or run sideways like DCE. It's not as effective, as it gives the defence more time to react, but that's the compromise. If you want to give the defence little time to react, then fine, play in the defensive line, just don't bitch like a princess when you get hit.

Boys need to be careful though - all this talk about Thurston ignores Morgan and Coote. Thurston might be trying to put all the heat on himself, leaving those other two free to play. Gillett to smash Coote, Glenn to smash Morgan, Blair to smash JT. All night. Legally, but fucking hard. They need to be shitting themselves to even come near our defensive line.

If Thurston doesn't want to get hit, don't take it to the line. Play pussy boy out back or run sideways like DCE. It's not as effective, as it gives the defence more time to react, but that's the compromise. If you want to give the defence little time to react, then fine, play in the defensive line, just don't bitch like a princess when you get hit.

Boys need to be careful though - all this talk about Thurston ignores Morgan and Coote. Thurston might be trying to put all the heat on himself, leaving those other two free to play. Gillett to smash Coote, Glenn to smash Morgan, Blair to smash JT. All night. Legally, but ****ing hard. They need to be shitting themselves to even come near our defensive line.

Also ignores Cooper and Lowe.That's why the Cows can be so dangerous, but then again, in most cases, they are predictable set plays whereas Milf-Hunt are dangerous for exactly the opposite reason: nobody knows how and when they will strike, as a combination, or individually.

Also ignores Cooper and Lowe.That's why the Cows can be so dangerous, but then again, in most cases, they are predictable set plays whereas Milf-Hunt are dangerous for exactly the opposite reason: nobody knows how and when they will strike, as a combination, or individually.

Those guys will be ineffective if JT and Morgan can't take the ball to the line.

The tactic is a simple one and that's why them bitching about getting hit is so laughable. The halves take the ball right to the line so the defenders commit to them. Which leaves room beside them for a short ball to one of Cooper / Lowe. But the whole point of it is to commit defenders - and yet once these defenders are committed they aren't allowed to actually tackle? **** off.

This needs to be the big game from Hunt, all the attention on the lead up to this game has been on Milf. If Hunt gets his freak on with Roberts looming around looking for the ball the Cows will have a bit on... Which is what we'll start to see more of toward the business end of the season too if certain theories are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Porthoz
  • Mighty Bronx
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.