Round 14 Discussion

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
This is a technically terrible but very entertaining game.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
The more the top 4 hopefuls get beaten by bottom of the ladder teams the better for us.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
So as bad as the Tigers have been, after this game, there's only 2 wins difference between them and Souths. Don't ask me about byes, I don't know.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
So I may have been reminded of a valuable lesson.

Beware of the Were-Tigers.

Not the Wests Tigers, the team that can't even score points against a JT-less Cowboys but the Were Tigers that remember they have the likes of Tedesco, Brooks and Taupau in their team and they can match it with anybody on their day.

Easily their best performance of the season and while it was far from perfect, they showed good commitment from the start.

Kudos to them, big serving of humble pie to me.

In saying that, I was really disappointed with the lack of effort from Souths. Clearly they felt the absence of Inglis & Luke out there but some of those carries of the ball and efforts in defence were laughable. They clearly went in with the same menality I did because they were caught going through the motions and think they could fart around for a few tackles and Reynolds kicking game could get them home. Not to be and when they did create opportunities, the Tigers didn't give them any soft efforts.

It's too early to write Souths off but I think tonight was a perfect illustration of why Johnston isn't in the team. Some of his efforts in defence simply weren't good enough and that would be exposed against a JT, GI and Boyd edge.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Big shout out to the Tigers forward pack tonight.

Taupau was on fire, Seumanufagai delivered one of his best performances I've seen from him and I even thought Lodge & Lovett came up with some good plays.

Perhaps it says something about Woods' worth ethic? I don't know about you guys, but when I see his 22 hit up stats, I almost think he should shave off a few of those and let somebody else carry the ball because as they showed tonight, they can handle that responsibility.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I feel like Johnston is super overrated at the Fullback position, he's a good winger, knows how to put a ball down, but the thought that he's going to transition into an elite fullback like RTS has is just silly, he's not even close to RTS.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Maybe Bman is on the money and Johnston will end up like Merritt? A good club fullback/wing but nothing more?

Alex still has time on his side, he could still be playing NYC after all but it's clear that he isn't ready for an Origin jersey.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I feel like Johnston is super overrated at the Fullback position, he's a good winger, knows how to put a ball down, but the thought that he's going to transition into an elite fullback like RTS has is just silly, he's not even close to RTS.

I hate Inglis but he would have stopped half of those tries. Johnston can keep Hoffmanning all he wants, but with performances like that he's going to be better off keeping his ambitions in check and just enjoy being an above-average attacking winger.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I was expecting to see more from Souths back line.

It's not like they didn't have chances.. Their forwards got them in the attacking zone, the Burgess boys were very hard to stop..

When I started watching, it was almost like they were afraid to throw the ball around. It was just safety first footy, so much one up stuff.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The highlight was Reynolds opting to run back inside instead of passing it along. Wests got a penalty and it cost Souths whatever chance they had of coming back.

Souths are unimaginative at the best of times, but the loss of Luke really hindered their play around the ruck and forcing Keary to play hooker just hurt their ability to play an expansive brand. Wests looked really vulnerable around the edges yet Souths kept going for one out or inside passes that made no sense.

It's a good result for the Broncos but geez it was apparent that Souths were relying heavily on Reynolds kicking game to save them.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The Holden Cup game may turn out to be more entertaining game than the first grade.

6-4 Roosters at HT

Then Watson cuts them to pieces, throws an inch perfect pass to Manu who skips across field and swiftly puts Tuivasa-Sheck down the left touchline in a great team try.

Then in response, the Kiwis look to be doing it tough until Tevaga pops an offload to Roache who cuts through before finding Abbey who motors to the line despite the attention of a number of chasers.

Now the Roosters have it off their own kick-off.

10 all.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Good try to Latrell Mitchell.

Set up again by Manu who skates past the defence, swivels back on the inside and manages to flick it to Mitchell who runs through the gap.

16-10 Roosters

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Roosters go back to back with Vaikeli.

Misieli nearly lost it as well. Got caught out pre-emptively celebrating when the Warriors defender attempted to dislodge the ball.

They're in again through Momirovski.

The Warriors defence has really lost it's way and the Roosters are going from strength to strength.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Tomkins out yet again .... feel like digging up those posts from a couple of years ago where I said he wouldn't last physically in the NRL (and was ridiculed by a few)

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Surely Moa has to be out for a week for grabbing the refs shoulder...

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Moa was hard done by there.

Warriors with a lucky break.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Such a dumb set by the Warriors.

Have no idea why they don't try to use Lolohea more or throw Hurrell at Elliott.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Fantastic goal line defence by the Roosters. But the Warriors look absolutely awful. They've gone backwards so much and look clueless without Tomkins. Which is interesting as Tomkins himself hasn't been that good.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • barker
  • Financeguy
  • Allo
  • Aldo
  • Stix
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Jazza
  • Swordfish
  • Alec
  • Brocko
  • TimWhatley
  • Bucking Beads
  • Waynesaurus
  • Big Del
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.