PRE-GAME Round 14 - Eels vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Seibs made the tough decision to drop Roberts ... now it is time for him to make arguably a tougher decision by dropping Macca (tougher because of how good of a clubman Macca is) ... Turpin should be our number 1 hooker and used in a 1-2 punch with Segeyaro off the bench.

As for Boyd, it is time for him to move from fullback. as of now, i would swap him with Isaako (given the lack of fullback options). I have my doubts about Isaako's playmaking from the back, but at least his defense couldn't be worse. long term I would like Bird to be given the fullback role

I think that is Wolfie's theory. Big difference between just being a little down and seeing effort which I could see with Su'A at Souths and what most of them are producing.

If you wanted a forward with smarts, enthusiasm and effort I would pick Bullemor before I would pick Mago.

Not so much my theory, just what some of the fellas i know say they have experienced. They never said its harder to perform as such, just that its easier in some ways to play NRL because the NRL blokes tend to play more as a team, where as a lot of players in ISC played for themselves.

Last edited:
Not so much my theory, just what some of the fellas i know say they have experienced. They never said its harder to perform as such, just that its easier in some ways to play NRL because the NRL blokes tend to play more as a team, where as a lot of players in ISC played for themselves.

I don’t know if this question is out of order or not but I’m curious if you or @1910 have any understanding of how players feel about Boyd as a captain?

Maybe he has leadership qualities that I just don’t get a chance to see.

have any understanding of how players feel about Boyd as a captain?

you just have to see their reaction to his try the other week to see their thought about Boyd as captain.

one big mistake i have seen made plenty around here is that people seem to think poor form means poor leadership.

when the reality is that game day is a small part of his role as captain.

watching Boyd live from the ground tells a very different story to watching Boyd on TV

I don’t know if this question is out of order or not but I’m curious if you or @1910 have any understanding of how players feel about Boyd as a captain?

Maybe he has leadership qualities that I just don’t get a chance to see.

I've never really heard of anyone who has thought he isnt a good captain from anyone i know. He does a lot people probably dont see, as @Foordy said, game day is only a small part of being a captain. Like Lexie, he is a really good influence around the place. This is only speaking from what i have heard from certain players, but he has the respect and backing of the players.

From a personal point of view, i do wonder if lifting the burden of being captain from him may help his game a little. I dont think we would lose much if we made Glenn our captain tbh, and it would be a little less weight on his shoulders.

you just have to see their reaction to his try the other week to see their thought about Boyd as captain.

one big mistake i have seen made plenty around here is that people seem to think poor form means poor leadership.

when the reality is that game day is a small part of his role as captain.

watching Boyd live from the ground tells a very different story to watching Boyd on TV
TBF though, they were probably just as shocked as everyone else that he actually scored one.

1 try every 4 games isn’t a particularly good strike rate, especially for a fullback. Actually, it’s awful. To go a little further, and I don’t have the stats, but his strike rate over the last 3 years or so would be well down on 1/4 I’d reckon.

To put it in context, Tallis had a better try scoring strike rate than Boyd...

I've never really heard of anyone who has thought he isnt a good captain from anyone i know. He does a lot people probably dont see, as @Foordy said, game day is only a small part of being a captain. Like Lexie, he is a really good influence around the place. This is only speaking from what i have heard from certain players, but he has the respect and backing of the players.

From a personal point of view, i do wonder if lifting the burden of being captain from him may help his game a little. I dont think we would lose much if we made Glenn our captain tbh, and it would be a little less weight on his shoulders.

Yeah. From every behind the scenes thing I’ve seen it appears to me that Glenn is really highly regarded amongst players. He seems to be such a good bloke. I guess Boyd’s relationship with the media makes it hard for him to get that side across

TBF though, they were probably just as shocked as everyone else that he actually scored one.

1 try every 4 games isn’t a particularly good strike rate, especially for a fullback. Actually, it’s awful. To go a little further, and I don’t have the stats, but his strike rate over the last 3 years or so would be well down on 1/4 I’d reckon.

To put it in context, Tallis had a better try scoring strike rate than Boyd...

Take Oates out of our current backline, and they have all been hopeless in terms of tries this year.

How can Storm lose Slater and bring in Huges, Drinkwater, and Papenhuzen and the Broncos have Boyd and ...........as back up?

4pm on Tuesday could be the defining moment of our season. It will be at that time we will find out what Seibold does with Macca when he finally has 2 other in form fit hookers available. With Segeyaro available again, Seibold now has to finally face the white elephant in the room that I predicted weeks ago when everyone is available and Macca is back from injury.

If we name Turpin at 7 which Seibold was quoted as saying was a possibility, this to me would suggest Seibold officially hasn’t got the kahunas to send Macca to reserve grade. The writing is on the wall and this is the most obvious decision to make. Turpin pretty much has played his way into the 9 for the remainder of the year and Segeyaro offers the spark off the bench that Macca doesn’t. Macca is systematic of how flat our performance was today. Even Boyd was pushing in at 9 a lot more and that isn’t a coincidence. I don’t care how nice a bloke and clubman Macca is, fans care about winning football games and Turpin/Segeyaro combo is our best chance of that.

Boyd should be in the same boat but unfortunately we don’t have the depth and we need some experience in the backline. What I would do with Boyd however is make the big call to strip him of the captaincy and give it to Glenn or Gillett and see how that affects his performances. Hopefully not having the C against him might take a bit of pressure off him and then we don’t have the dilemma of the side seeing their captain’s pea hearted efforts one on one and having that mentality filter down. Glenn and Gillett will lead by their actions and their games are effort based and I believe the team would respond better to them.

How can Storm lose Slater and bring in Huges, Drinkwater, and Papenhuzen and the Broncos have Boyd and ...........as back up?

What’s even more mind boggling is how no one has managed to snare one of their 3 fullbacks or one of their 2 back up hookers in Brendon Smith and Harry Grant.

As good a culture the Storm have built, they aren’t going to be able to keep that many back ups when they would be on minimal money and not playing regular first grade

Macca probably got a lot more game time than he was going to get today because of Deardens injury. I'd give him another 2 or 3 games before judging him personally, but no more. He has to stand up. I'm just beginning to think 10 years of putting his body on the line the way he has is just too much for him to handle.

I dont think seibs will make wholesale changes, but For this match i would looking at.
1. Isaako- by default, lack of depth here (bird when healthy). Boyd has had his opportunities and failed. Isaako hasnt been in great form but he may put in more effort than boyd. He also has the agility to support off loads.
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Boyd
5. Kennar
6. Milford
7. SOS
8. Lodge
9. Our man the Turpinator
10. Hass
11. Glenn
12. Gillet
13. Fifita (not his natural position but he runs hard)
14. Seggy
15. TPJ
16. Flegler
17. Carrigan

18. Perese
19. Sua

Macca probably got a lot more game time than he was going to get today because of Deardens injury. I'd give him another 2 or 3 games before judging him personally, but no more. He has to stand up. I'm just beginning to think 10 years of putting his body on the line the way he has is just too much for him to handle.

you are fuckin kidding

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: people can play better in a better team. Just because Souths Logan are getting flogged and no one is carrying the team doesn’t mean players won’t perform in a different team.

1. Isaako - give him an extended run there. Give him his shot. He wants to play fullback, show us you’re the future Jamayne
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Shibasaki/Boyd
5. Kennar - was pretty good. Didn’t drop any bombs and tanked it up fairly well
6. Milford
7. SoS
8. Lodge - his base is pretty good, just needs to keep his head
9. The God incarnate himself, the Turpinator
10. Haas - give him until Wednesday off. Needs a break. Bench if need be
11. Glenn - I’m pretty critical of him, and while his dedication isn’t in question, his effectiveness is.
12. Gillett
13. Flegler

14. Segeyaro/Mago - dependant on how we’re managing Haas, Lodge and Pangai
15. Fifita
16. Pangai - just run hard and straight. Everything else will come from that
17. Su’A - happy with his contributions today. No errors and put some hits on with Turps

you are fuckin kidding

No, i'm not going to write any player off based on today. Like i said, i dont think today was the plan on how we would use him. If he still cant lift his game in the next few weeks,, then its up to the coach to dump him.

1. Darius Boyd
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Xavier Coates
5. Jamayne Isaako/Richie Kennar
6. Anthony Milford
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Matt Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai Jnr

14. James Segeyaro
15. David Fifita
16. Thomas Flegler
17. Patrick Carrigan

Boyd isn't going to be dropped ladies and gents. People need to start accepting that.

Toss up between Isaako and Kennar. But I think we need Isaako's boot.

After watching Coates in the Origin game and hearing a lot of people's opinions on him about his readiness, I think he should be given a crack. By all reports, he is more suited at centre and has a lot of GI about him.

I haven't heard anything about Dearden but if he isn't fit, then I would like to see O'Sullivan come in.

I don't think the pack needs to change. I would keep it the same and have James Segeyaro coming off the bench.

We were missing 3 key players and lost our halfback early in the game which resulted in Turpin being moved from hooker to cover for him in the halves. As a result of that the Titans defence just had to focus on Milford. I don't care who you are, that is going to **** up any side.

If the next two weeks we dish up the same, then fair enough.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.