PRE-GAME Round 14 - Eels vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Even Turps himself says he is too slow for halfback. SOS is next in line. Segy back on the bench.

Macca's surplus to requirements.
[automerge]1560082639[/automerge]

Agreed. Dearden might be the future but SOS might even be the better half right now. As long as Seibs doesn't go back to Macca, we're still on track. I can't see any reason to favour Macca over Segy on the bench, either.
Yeah? I didn't know Turps said that about himself. Oh well, it is my fantasy team. I'd still do it though. To be honest I think there's been way way slower halfbacks around than Turpin.

Yeah? I didn't know Turps said that about himself. Oh well, it is my fantasy team. I'd still do it though. To be honest I think there's been way way slower halfbacks around than Turpin.

Yeah, he did. I think it's an interview on NRL.com. Reckons he lost pace from his injuries. Literally said he's too slow to play halfback and although he's amiably humble, I wouldn't call him modest in assessing himself. I think it might've been the same interview where he said he'd try to better Macca's tackling record. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Green is way slower. He was the go to man for the Warriors against Storm and they looked pedestrian. He hogged the ball every attacking foray and for kicks. Nikorima sets up the first try and then scores to take the Warriors to 10 and then takes a back seat while predictable Green took over while the points dried up.

Kind of what happened to us today. Attack flowing to the right via Milford all day, while Turpin, Shibasaki and Isaako catch a cold on the left.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: people can play better in a better team. Just because Souths Logan are getting flogged and no one is carrying the team doesn’t mean players won’t perform in a different team.

Exactly. Just remember there were a few on here over a month ago who were getting on their high horses preaching that “Turpin wouldn’t be able to come in and do a better job than Macca because he isn’t even playing that great for Redcliffe and the Dolphins are struggling”

Gee I’m glad those pundits aren’t in charge of the squad. I bet they would be the ones who would still give Macca another half a dozen chances and find any excuse to write off his dismal performances

Exactly. Just remember there were a few on here over a month ago who were getting on their high horses preaching that “Turpin wouldn’t be able to come in and do a better job than Macca because he isn’t even playing that great for Redcliffe and the Dolphins are struggling”

Gee I’m glad those pundits aren’t in charge of the squad. I bet they would be the ones who would still give Macca another half a dozen chances and find any excuse to write off his dismal performances

There were also a few who pointed out the Broncos couldn't play Turpin unless there was an injury or somebody was released because he wasn't signed to the senior squad.

To Turpin's credit, he's aimed up so far but if you saw his efforts at Redcliffe, you could understand why the coaching staff weren't keen to rush him into an already under-performing side.

1. Drinkwater (just sign him and send Mago to the Storm if they want a forward in exchange)
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Boyd (Shibasaki is rubbish, I think we can confirm that now)
5. Isaako / Kennar / Coates (upgrade him)
6. Milford
7. SOS / Paix (either / or but they held on to SOS in case something like what happened to Dearden happened, so might as well give him a shot)
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan (this is where his future lies, just do it now given injuries, etc)

14. Segeyaro
15. Flegler
16. TPJ (On warning to lift his game or face time in Qld Cup)
17. Fifita

1. Drinkwater (just sign him and send Mago to the Storm if they want a forward in exchange)
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Boyd (Shibasaki is rubbish, I think we can confirm that now)
5. Isaako / Kennar / Coates (upgrade him)
6. Milford
7. SOS / Paix (either / or but they held on to SOS in case something like what happened to Dearden happened, so might as well give him a shot)
8. Haas
9. Turpin
10. Lodge
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan (this is where his future lies, just do it now given injuries, etc)

14. Segeyaro
15. Flegler
16. TPJ (On warning to lift his game or face time in Qld Cup)
17. Fifita
Agree with drinkwater. Melbourne have a plethora of fullbacks and we have bugger all.

Mago could be a reasonable trade. He has potential and think he could do well under bellamy

Boyd has offered nothing in defence and nothing in attack (not even the sweep play he used to do, which was the one attacking facet of his game).

I know for the past couple of weeks i have been pushing drinkwater/papenhuyzen, but i think we need some speed and elusiveness at the back. Someone to support the off loads, take the inside balls etc. These two were also mentored by slater so i imagine they know the importance of communication and organising the defensive line.

I am not sold on isaako at fullback and dont know if we have anyone in the lower grades that is ready.

I have tried to give shiba time but he is a bust. I dont know if i have seen someone bomb so many chances. I dont see seibold dropping the captain so Boyd would be servicable in the centres. He was decent their last year.

Reflecting on the game today, our attack was flat, our forwards werent running onto the ball (because the dummy half wasnt putting the balls out in front of them) and when we spread the ball, our backline was standing still! Like under 6s!

Macca was known for his defence but today we had 26 put on us, whilst without him we had no tries against us fron the warriors and only 10 from the roosters which featured tedesco, mitchell, manu, keary, cronk etc.

I am not saying it is all Macca, but the display is pretty damning. However, i know seibold will pick him in the 17 next week.

I wish that Isaako had spent more time in ISC and at fullback, as the plan was rumoured/speculated to be. We still could shift him back there and Boyd to centre for Shibasaki, and I'd be happy for Kennar to get another shot since I thought he was fairly good yesterday.

Is Tesi Niu any chance of a debut this season? I know he's only 17 but it wouldn't be the first time we'd handed a 17 year old a debut at fullback. Anyway I've only seen highlight clips of him and not sure he's up to grade yet but you know, desperate times and all lol.

Been pretty consistent from the start of the season:

Stick with Macca = wooden spoon contenders
Get rid of Macca = top 4 contenders
Bring back Macca = fall apart

We wouldn't be wooden spoon contenders with Macca. Yesterday isn't a good barometer either as we had so many players underperforming, a disruptive injury and 3 players missing. Certainly the eels game should give us a better idea

After watching the press conference, it sounds like Turpin in 9 next week (“will be in the team”) and SoS in 7 (mentioned by name, unprompted, twice).

Macca was described as “good”, but in the kind of context you’d use when you’re trying hard not to throw someone under a bus publicly.

My exact thoughts on the presser too. Went out of his way to mention SOS and Turpin and they way he said Macca was 'good' was hardly a ringing endorsement.

We wouldn't be wooden spoon contenders with Macca. Yesterday isn't a good barometer either as we had so many players underperforming, a disruptive injury and 3 players missing. Certainly the eels game should give us a better idea

I agree. We played 70mins without a halfback and it showed. I don’t think you could say that one single bronco player played well yesterday. Not one maybe apart from Turpin.

I agree that with what Turpin has shown so far he should be our future at 9 but to blame that loss on McCollough entirely is delusional and I’m probably one of his biggest critics!!

Forwards didn’t run hard, we missed tackles, Conceded some stupid penalties and far too many 7 tackle sets. We bombed two tries that I can think of. Macca can’t be blamed for all of that.

Is Tesi Niu any chance of a debut this season? I know he's only 17 but it wouldn't be the first time we'd handed a 17 year old a debut at fullback.

You can't play anyone below the age of 18 anymore. He turns 18 in August.

I don't think Niu is ready. He is a good 17 year old player, but shouldnt be rushed.

I don't think Niu is ready. He is a good 17 year old player, but shouldnt be rushed.

Your probably right.
That post was a bit tongue in cheek.
Still we need a half from somewhere.

Unread

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • MrMoore
  • Cavalo
  • Bucking Beads
  • sooticus
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Financeguy
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.