PRE-GAME Round 15 - Knights vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Remember back in the day when Qld could throw any of Slater, Lockyer, Bowen, Inglis, Boyd, Folau, Hunt or Hodges in at fullback? How times have changed!

That was only like 3 years ago. The fortress packed up pretty quick.

That was only like 3 years ago. The fortress packed up pretty quick.

It sure did! Almost every position had a gun back up...except centre but Qld has GI and Hodges who were all time greats with Tate as a gun back up and Tonga as a more than decent option.

It sure did! Almost every position had a gun back up...except centre but Qld has GI and Hodges who were all time greats with Tate as a gun back up and Tonga as a more than decent option.

I feel like the only rookie that got ushered in with those greats was Dane Gagai. Which is probably why he’s been killing it so much ever since. He picked up on the wining culture and the brotherhood.

I agree, to me, Tedesco, RTS and Tom Turbo are all better fullbacks. At least at this stage. Ponga has a lot of potential, but sort of just reminds me of a more talented Matt Moylan...
Forgot about RTS but agreed

I feel like the only rookie that got ushered in with those greats was Dane Gagai. Which is probably why he’s been killing it so much ever since. He picked up on the wining culture and the brotherhood.
Yeah in previous years, there was almost a succession plan. For example the halves. Locky guided thurston when he entered origin. Cronk continued to learn from them from the bench until locky left and then took the 7. Morgan then was next in line and was going ok but has not been able to maintain form.

Yeah in previous years, there was almost a succession plan. For example the halves. Locky guided thurston when he entered origin. Cronk continued to learn from them from the bench until locky left and then took the 7. Morgan then was next in line and was going ok but has not been able to maintain form.
Kevin Walters hammered the succession plan, and used the series win 2017 to justify continuing to destroy it... Coincidentally it was also c smiths last year.
As shit as boyd is now, matt Scott became, thaiday was in his later years, nate myles was at the time, and even aidan guerra and Jacob lillyman were, they were all proven origin performers with over 50 origin wins between them.
These guys were terribly out of form at the time and getting old but ffs who was going to teach the younger guys. Origin is a different beast. And then he went on to pick Cooper and Chambers in following series' who were even more out of form then those players, didn't have as strong a history in origin, and were the same age when those players got dropped. He seems a bit flippant with his coaching plan/values.
So glad the bloke isn't our coach. He doesn't appear to think far ahead at all, and doesn't really have a set coaching technique, he kind of floats between playing styles and ideas it appears to me. I could be wrong but it just seems that way to me.

Remember back in the day when Qld could throw any of Slater, Lockyer, Bowen, Inglis, Boyd, Folau, Hunt or Hodges in at fullback? How times have changed!

It really goes to show how much a few defections and injuries rocked Queensland. I'd imagine during Mal's reign, he probably envisioned the likes of Folau, Yow Yeh, Moga, Holmes etc. would have been the future for the Maroons. The retirement of Dave Taylor was another sad reminder of what could have been for Queensland. Queensland could have done with the 2009 version of Taylor in their team.

It really goes to show how much a few defections and injuries rocked Queensland. I'd imagine during Mal's reign, he probably envisioned the likes of Folau, Yow Yeh, Moga, Holmes etc. would have been the future for the Maroons. The retirement of Dave Taylor was another sad reminder of what could have been for Queensland. Queensland could have done with the 2009 version of Taylor in their team.

Yeah you aren’t wrong. This could have been the current Qld side:

1. Ponga
2. Yow Yeh
3. Folau
4. Gagai
5. Holmes
6. Munster
7. DCE
8. Taylor
9. Parcell
10. Papalii
11. Hess
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Morgan
15. McGuire
16. Joffa
17. Oates

Now that’s a side you would expect far better from! What a shame so many of left, retired, got injured or just plain regressed.

I still have hope that Holmes comes back. Even if he takes some time to get back into form, he'd probably still finish as QLD highest try scorer lol.

1. Ponga
2. Yow Yeh
3. Folau
4. Gagai
5. Holmes
6. Munster
7. DCE
8. Taylor
9. Parcell
10. Papalii
11. Hess
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Morgan
15. McGuire
16. Joffa
17. Oates

Now that’s a side you would expect far better from! What a shame so many of left, retired, got injured or just plain regressed.

Te'o, Grevsmuhl, Lowe, Milford...

I'm not co-signing on Parcell.

1. Ponga
2. Yow Yeh
3. Folau
4. Gagai
5. Holmes
6. Munster
7. DCE
8. Taylor
9. Parcell
10. Papalii
11. Hess
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Morgan
15. McGuire
16. Joffa
17. Oates

Parcell, good lord.

Origin conspiracy time here... Sydney siders have had their fingers in the QLD talent pool for a long time now as far as recruitment goes, however not a lot of them appear to be making it to grade. Are they signing them up as juniors and then stashing them away in lower grades so as to not develop 🤔🤔🤔

Also not helping that the Cowboys, Broncos and Titans are full of NSW'men.... you can't tell me that there are no decent forwards coming out of the entire state.

Where the f.ck are they all hiding.

Kevin Walters hammered the succession plan, and used the series win 2017 to justify continuing to destroy it... Coincidentally it was also c smiths last year.
As shit as boyd is now, matt Scott became, thaiday was in his later years, nate myles was at the time, and even aidan guerra and Jacob lillyman were, they were all proven origin performers with over 50 origin wins between them.
These guys were terribly out of form at the time and getting old but ffs who was going to teach the younger guys. Origin is a different beast. And then he went on to pick Cooper and Chambers in following series' who were even more out of form then those players, didn't have as strong a history in origin, and were the same age when those players got dropped. He seems a bit flippant with his coaching plan/values.
So glad the bloke isn't our coach. He doesn't appear to think far ahead at all, and doesn't really have a set coaching technique, he kind of floats between playing styles and ideas it appears to me. I could be wrong but it just seems that way to me.
Mmmmm, some of this seems okay, on the surface at least and might be spot on too. You say you're glad he's not coach of the Broncos yet do you believe we'd be thirteenth and sliding if given the reigns this year? I know that's not really a fair question as it's impossible to answer with anything that makes sense yet I can't help feel as though an old school coach might have been what we needed.

Mmmmm, some of this seems okay, on the surface at least and might be spot on too. You say you're glad he's not coach of the Broncos yet do you believe we'd be thirteenth and sliding if given the reigns this year? I know that's not really a fair question as it's impossible to answer with anything that makes sense yet I can't help feel as though an old school coach might have been what we needed.

You are right, this squad needed Bellamy, someone who would rip into them when they put in half efforts like they have repeatedly done this year. Do you think Kevvie is that kind of coach though? He seems quite new age in many ways. It’s too soon for Hodgo I think but I reckon he might well end up being the guy this side needs eventually.

I wouldn't disagree to a side looking like this. The season is over, it's a good time to experiment.

The season was over when we signed seibold last year
[automerge]1561419949[/automerge]
Gallen compared him to Slater.

He isn't even close to being near Slater.

Slater at 21 tho?

Ponga is a dead set freak, anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t know fucking anything

Last edited:
Slater at 21 tho?

Ponga is a dead set freak, anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t know fucking anything

Is an absolute freak and will be a rep player for many years imo...but he just got brought down to Earth in a big way. Personally, I just think the media gush over him far too much and I've always hated comparisons to past greats....the next Lockyer/Johns/Slater/SBW etc

Is an absolute freak and will be a rep player for many years imo...but he just got brought down to Earth in a big way. Personally, I just think the media gush over him far too much and I've always hated comparisons to past greats....the next Lockyer/Johns/Slater/SBW etc

What more could Ponga have done on Wednesday? Nsw dominated and starved qld of possession.

What more could Ponga have done on Wednesday? Nsw dominated and starved qld of possession.

No argument there, worded that poorly. My issue isn't with him at all, he seems like a fairly humble bloke. I actually should have said peoples expectations of him just got brought back down to Earth. In the lead up to the game, it's like the media and some fans thought he could and would win the game single handed.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Jedhead
  • Organix
  • thenry
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.