PRE-GAME Round 15 - Knights vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

As much as I still think fullback could/should be Milf's best position, can we really afford to put him there with 2 rookies halves (Dearden/SOS/Paix/whoever else)?

As well as....it's easier to get around opposing teams when they don't know who you are or what you can do. Milford was virtually an unknown when playing fullback for the Raiders.....

He is a lot heavier marked player now.....

and yeah, no-one ever talks about Milf's defensive prowess at fullback

...because he has none.
Tommy Turbo and Tedesco are also much heavier marked players now, and still carve up.
Milford's ability to support and ball play would be much welcome in a team such as ours, and although his defensive ability may be questionable, I remember he was pretty good for the Raiders in that aspect.

Of course, there is the "small" problem of having no ready made sub for him in the halves, especially with Dearden out, and it is very much the question whether he can be a defensive stalwart at the back, especially in organising terms, but the thing is... it would still be better than what we have now, because he couldn't be worse in defense, and he sure as hell would provide more support and options in attack!

I'm not sure Milford was a great fullback at the Raiders. Think of say James Roberts at the Titans, it's easy to look good in a highlight reel for a shit team but another thing entirely to be good at all facets of a position. How does he go organising the defence, positioning for kicks and all that off the ball off camera stuff?

How’s Boyd going organising the defence? Or his positioning for kicks? Milford can waves his arms off camera as well as anyone

Sorry for the delay in replying but I had to chase up my colleague on this. He said and I quote “He wanted to be popular but wasn’t stern enough. Felt he was too soft on some of the trouble makers.”

Take what you will from that but seeing the problems our team are facing with little guidance from the top, the great promise of cultural change seems deader than Wayne’s smiles.

Not sure what that has to do with not making tough decisions? Also, if Seibold is all about being popular he is doing it wrong here.

How’s Boyd going organising the defence? Or his positioning for kicks? Milford can waves his arms off camera as well as anyone
From what I've read over a long period he goes very well at organising the defence and is a good talker. His positioning for kicks is generally good. The guy's busted, not blind or stupid. But sure, if you want to discard the 90% of things he does well in the hope that someone who played a season or two of fullback several years ago will automatically be able to do the whole job better then knock yourself out. I'd prefer to actually know rather than rely on wishful thinking, hence my asking about how Milford goes there.

I wouldn't mind seeing milf at FB, however I am not too sure that it would happen this week..
SOS is 1wk into his broncos career, already had Milf there, who he has trained with a fair bit, now are they going to put the pressure of running this team on his shoulders in his 2nd game in the NRL?
It would mean yet another halves change. However, it could also bring to light the fact that Macca is named in the 9. They might need his kicking game, and decision making (or lack of..) out of dummy half.
I'm not sure that Milf has the speed anymore to be the Ponga type FB. He really looks like he doesnt back himself when he takes on the line (except if he is 10m out,) or find a gap. He looks 20x slower then his canberra FB days.
In saying all that, I would like to see it happen, or even have a shake up of the spine:
1.Milf
7.SOS
6.Paix
9.Turpin & Segs
Now thats a young, fast spine, much like how souffs played last year. If Lodge, Haas, TPJ & Fifi could get the quick play the balls, I genuinely think we could trouble a few teams.

I would love to see Milf at fullback.

From what I've read over a long period he goes very well at organising the defence and is a good talker. His positioning for kicks is generally good. The guy's busted, not blind or stupid. But sure, if you want to discard the 90% of things he does well in the hope that someone who played a season or two of fullback several years ago will automatically be able to do the whole job better then knock yourself out. I'd prefer to actually know rather than rely on wishful thinking, hence my asking about how Milford goes there.
The bloke repeated highschool. He's not exactly smart lol.

The bloke repeated highschool. He's not exactly smart lol.
I'm not sure about that, Wikipedia (I know, I know) has it listed that after not being picked up for any NRL team he repeated grade 12 in the hopes of getting noticed, which worked. Even if he did it because he's an absolute dunce, it doesn't mean three fifths of **** all in the context of football smarts.

This is what shits me to be honest. Everything on the internet has to be overblown to the point of being ridiculous. It's not enough for a player to be out of form physically or mentally or even broken and with their career winding down before their contract. People have to outdo each other in their words so it ends up with the targetted player or person being labelled as stupid or selfish or morally deficient, valid criticisms mixed up with slurs on someone's character so often that the two become inseparable. Any nuance or facts that don't suit the prevailing narrative are discarded. It's insidious and disappointing, I'd hoped that this place with a relatively small community of regular posters might be less prone to it but that may not be the case.

If he so good position with kicks why is he never never ever behind to receive any grubbers like every other fullback in the game does.

If he so good position with kicks why is he never never ever behind to receive any grubbers like every other fullback in the game does.
I was talking about general kicks for field position. But seeing as you bring it up, the structures can be based around the fullback defending in the line with it being the responsibility of other players to field grubbers. It's not exclusive to Boyd or the Broncos. Look at the penalty try in the last origin game, Tedesco is nowhere to be seen because he's up defending in the line.
How is it the media isn’t all over this right now
Because media in general are useless abd RL media doubly so. Probably too busy taking out player managers for a boozy lunch and writing the next "code in crisis" article.

If Milford and Boyd do switch, this would explain Macca being in the starting side to provide that extra kicking option.

If Milford and Boyd do switch, this would explain Macca being in the starting side to provide that extra kicking option.

I would say Macca is in the starting side cause Turpin shit the bed against the eels majorly

I’d only get remotely interested if Milford was training all week at fullback and not just filling in.

Because it’s more than likely that Milford trains there from time to time in the event Boyd goes down mid game, they could put Milford back their and bring Turpin on into the halves with SOS so they are probably just covering all bases.

It’s not ideal but anything is better than Boyd at the back at the moment and most of us fans that have had a gutful just want to see something different, even if Milford goes awful back there. It would actually make Boyd accountable for his position too. It makes sense when you consider our fullback depth.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Skathen
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.