Round 15 - Warriors vs Broncos - Post-Match Discussion

Result while disappointing was a lot better than the hammering they gave us at this time last year

Watching through a replay of the game.

The Glenn knock on was the turning point. Warriors were on the ropes and points were for the taking until Glenn spilled it cold. Three tackles later, Mateo drifts, catches an inexperienced defender and they're through for a soft try. That really hurt and just changed the complexion of the match. I was really disappointed in Alex. He was the captain yet rarely put his hand up for a hit up and his defence at times was just lazy, particularly at marker.

The second try annoyed me somewhat. If you watch it back, you'll see Friend throws Mateo a big forward pass on the first set of the kick off. Instead of getting possession at half-way, we're trying to work it out of our corner with our bench players and it's a disaster. Maranta's run basically killed the set but he should never have taken it. The fact Lowrie put his hand up ahead of Glenn or Hala really grinds my gears. Then of course Matagi plays an obvious incorrect play the ball and it gave them all the momentum to score. Off that, SJ kicks a field goal and 13-6 gives them a huge edge at H/T.

I think the start of the second half caught Brisbane off guard as well. We got a bunch of silly penalties for dangerous plays but just didn't have the personnel to make the most of it. As a result, we shift the ball wide even though there's nothing on and as a result both Barba and Reed pop passes that were never on and let the Warriors off the hook.

Thought we did well to hold them out. Once again, they were pretty lucky. If you watch it back, you'll find that Lillyman runs interference on Thaiday when Johnson makes a big break and when we were on their line, Ikahihifo was a good metre offside when he caught Hunt off guard, forcing a mistake. Both those penalties would have been very handy.

Still, it wasn't like we had our chances. Manu did well to bat the ball out of Copley's hands and the tackle on Hannant was great from Gubb. Convert those and we probably get them.

Basically what I take out of this...

- Glenn is really going to have to make ammends and lift on Friday.
- Hala needs another stint at the Dolphins.
- Broncos need to utilise edge plays more often. They really just needed to play to their strengths and they didn't.
- Outside of Oates, the Broncos bench was pretty useless. Replace 'em and start again on Friday.

Outside of that, I wasn't too upset with the performance. We were outgunned, especially out-wide but we kept rocking up. The tackle on Bukuya from Hoffman really typified the Broncos resolve on the night. Great play.

Great summary BP

I think he's quicker than Macca and is able to pass off the ground faster and better than he can as well. McCullough's decision making and defense is better but that's to be expected having more experience at this level.

I think he's quicker than Macca and is able to pass off the ground faster and better than he can as well. McCullough's decision making and defense is better but that's to be expected having more experience at this level.
Yeah, those things are pretty overrated in a hooker, right? It's not like they defend in the ruck or anything, or steer forwards around the park.

Pretty sure Granville is quicker and also able to pass faster of the ground than Smith, he must be more talented!

Yeah, those things are pretty overrated in a hooker, right? It's not like they defend in the ruck or anything, or steer forwards around the park.

It's hard to say. At one stage this year we were averaging 20-30 missed tackles a game. Macca isn't solely to blame obviously. I'm just glad we've tightened up a bit up the middle. Granville's defense will improve the more time he spends in first grade.

Pretty sure Granville is quicker and also able to pass faster of the ground than Smith, he must be more talented!

C'mon, Port. At times over the last few years we have looked like we don't have a point in us. Macca's slow service from dummy half was partly to blame.

I have found that Macca this year is like a different player than last year. It seemed that Cam Smith being linked to the club has really made him give it a real go and he plays really well alongside Hunt.

I have found that Macca this year is like a different player than last year. It seemed that Cam Smith being linked to the club has really made him give it a real go and he plays really well alongside Hunt.

I agree, FaceOfMutiny. I was going to write the other day that he really only went up a gear when rumours of Cam Smith signing with Brisbane started to gather some steam.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Stix
  • Broncorob
  • Fatboy
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BruiserMk1
  • Behold
  • Griffo
  • Manofoneway
  • Johnny92
  • Galah
  • upthehorse
  • Foordy
  • cento
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jedhead
  • rj9
  • Dash
... and 24 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.