vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only positive with the sharks is they don't really wrestle either... so we do have a chance to compete with them in the forwards.

Unfortunately I'm not sure where the points come from compared to the sharks who have SJ, Moylan and co that can punish us

Really need to push the offload I think and see if TPJ out on the edge can get us some points.

Also need to be somewhere near the sharks by the time Macca is hooked to see if Seggy can give us a chance

The only positive with the sharks is they don't really wrestle either... so we do have a chance to compete with them in the forwards.

Unfortunately I'm not sure where the points come from compared to the sharks who have SJ, Moylan and co that can punish us

Really need to push the offload I think and see if TPJ out on the edge can get us some points.

Also need to be somewhere near the sharks by the time Macca is hooked to see if Seggy can give us a chance
I'm leaning towards us having a half time lead and then being run down. They describe the Sharks as gritty and I think that's a good description. I watched most of the Dogs Sharks game and the Dogs didn't look like a team coming last. I liked Napas second stint. It's a game everyone expects Cronulla to win so let's hope for some complacency, only this time let it be the opposition!!

I wouldn't be surprised by a win to the Broncos simply because our forwards can match Cronulla. If they couldn't we may as well forfeit but if they play to their potential a win is possible if somewhat unlikely. Cronulla could come out simply expecting a win.

Sharks came out expecting to beat the dogs and got their fingers (fins?) burned.
Don’t think they’ll make the same mistake again especially at home.

Macca 9 Boyd 1. Our march towards the spoon continues.
With the way we been playing off lately, we aren't marching rather we're sprinting. We might as well beat others and grab that great wooden spoon by R-20.

Good win coming up here. There will be no more 'season back on track' talk, but I think a well needed win is coming up here against a club we love to beat. A little shelter from the storm coming up here, Broncos by a few tries, the young boys to impress.

The last time we scored 20 points in a game was round 9 (The second longest drought in the NRL). In the 5 games we scored 20 or more points in, only 5 of our 23 tries were scored by players named this week (Glenn 2, Boyd, TPJ, McCullough). The other try scorers were Oates 6, Roberts 4, Bird 2, Fifita 2, Nikorima, Milford, Gillett and Ofahengaue.

With the team listed it's hard to see us winning unless we can hold the Sharks to single digits and snag an intercept try or two.

Interestingly the Panthers have only scored 20 points twice this year(Rounds 5 and 6), and lost both times. They have won their past 3 games with a score of 19.

The last time we scored 20 points in a game was round 9 (The second longest drought in the NRL). In the 5 games we scored 20 or more points in, only 5 of our 23 tries were scored by players named this week (Glenn 2, Boyd, TPJ, McCullough). The other try scorers were Oates 6, Roberts 4, Bird 2, Fifita 2, Nikorima, Milford, Gillett and Ofahengaue.

With the team listed it's hard to see us winning unless we can hold the Sharks to single digits and snag an intercept try or two.

Interestingly the Panthers have only scored 20 points twice this year(Rounds 5 and 6), and lost both times. They have won their past 3 games with a score of 19.

Well if we are given 20pts start we might be a chance.

I really dont understand Broncos fans to be fair.

Seibold plays experienced players and the fans complain that we should be going with the young guns.
Sebold goes with he young guns and the fans complain that we dont have enough experience in the side.
He drops players that people have been bagging for ages and ultimately releases them from the club and then cops stick from everyone for releasing our guns and says that we should be keeping these players and playing them.

The team list is rubbish, yea I agree with that. But what is the poor prick supposed to do?
Alex Glenn (MCL) — Round 16
Tom Dearden (ankle) — Round 20
Jamayne Isaako (personal reasons) — indefinite
Jack Bird (knee) — season
Anthony Milford (knee) — indefinite
Richie Kennar (shoulder) — indefinite
Corey Oates - Rep
Joe O - Rep

4 players (including Milf FB) from our backline are injured and the other is out for rep duties meaning we simply cannot just drop Boyd.
Dearden is out so we literally have no other half with first grade experience. Turpin isn't ideal and I think he should be our starting hooker week in week out but its probably the best of a bad selection choice.
Sege back on the bench is great, if he can provide some impact that gives him the best chance of making a push for the 14 jersey the week after.
With Dearden back, he walks into the 7, Turpin could then move back to 9 keeping Sege on the bench giving the fans part of the spine they want.

Our forwards are almost full strength and the bench looks pretty good this week.

What more do you honestly expect Seibold to do this week?

It’s called agendas bro.

I felt his his last two weeks were there for him to step up and claim his place back, and he didnt do it. This week its like i said before, but basically because he is a solid, no frills player who wont really make many errors despite him probably not setting the world on fire. He'd have his spot basically by Default.

I dont think Seve or Opacic tbh would have been stop gaps necessarily, and i didnt mean by saying they would bridge the gap that meant stop gaps.. We could have comfortably got 2-3 years out of them minimum for a relativley cheap price. Seve is performing well enough in Melbourne, but thats in a well drilled, very good side, whether he would be performing as well in a poor side like the Broncos is debatable. Tom is doing well in a pretty poor side in Townsville. I'd actually say even with Bird fit Tom would have a great chance of earning a first team spot if he was performing at a similar level to what he is up north. He is certainly playing as well, if not better than Staggs and definatley better than Shibasaki. Shibasaki has been a massive disappointment for me. Had really high hopes for him, thought he would kill it in first grade. Something isnt clicking for him.
It’s got me fucked what people see in Shibasaki lol
I have been hoping he just kicks into gear and I can go “yeah righto, I see it now”, but nope.
If he’s seriously the best option we’ve got right now shit is a lot worse than I thought it was!! Lol

It’s got me fucked what people see in Shibasaki lol
I have been hoping he just kicks into gear and I can go “yeah righto, I see it now”, but nope.
If he’s seriously the best option we’ve got right now shit is a lot worse than I thought it was!! Lol

Tbh, watching him coming through he looked a really, really good player. Something just isnt working for him though right now. It doesnt help though that we are shit as a team.

Tbh, watching him coming through he looked a really, really good player. Something just isnt working for him though right now. It doesnt help though that we are shit as a team.

To be honest, it's not uncommon for players look good in their teens and never really kick on afterwards.

To be honest, it's not uncommon for players look good in their teens and never really kick on afterwards.
Similar to Carrigan.... oh and Shiba

Last edited:
Similar to Carrigan.... oh and Shiba
giphy.gif

There used to be a channel on YouTube that had footage of all the Broncos Junior Development players and would break down their techniques and play on the field. Of all the players coming through, Shibasaki was the most impressive and was making all the right positional moves and his tackle technique was top notch.

I kept a very close eye on him, but started tempering my expectations when I watched him have a few shockers. He was awful at fullback for Queensland in one of the junior rep games, and he was still learning his trade at 20s level.

What I do know is that the club has a huge rap on him and have been patient hoping he'll come good. He's made a lot of improvements to his game, it's just a matter of whether he can keep improving.

Under 20s football can be extremely deceiving. Lachlan Maranta looked like class at the back for the Broncos when he was 19. You'd swear blind that Maranta on the wing vs. Maranta at the back were two completely different players. I'm always curious to see what scouts are looking for, especially guys like O'Sullivan.

Last edited:
I think I posted this elsewhere @Big Pete but we seemingly prize talent over character and determination.
Pat Rafter was not the most talented player but he had character and fight, we need players like him instead we go for the Nick Kyrgios types, full of talent but crumple under pressure and a complete knob to boot.
TPJ is a prime example, I honestly can't believe the money being talked about to resign him. I'd happily let him walk and play his odd good game elsewhere.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I don’t understand all the hate for Shibasaki.

Granted, he didn’t look good on the wing, but I’ve thought he’s been solid at centre, takes strong carries and plays with ticker and determination. I also don’t think he’s the biggest problem we have but seems to be the next in line whipping boy behind Boyd and McCullough (who, at 10 year plus veterans, deserve all the criticism they’re getting).

Sure, he’s bombed some tries and shown some bad cases of the dropsies, but I honestly think that’s probably par for the course at present. He’s probably trying too hard and putting too much pressure on himself. But I know I’d also rather that than what Roberts was dishing up.

Is he going to be the reincarnation of Justin Hodges? Probably not. But he could be the modern version of Mick De Vere too. Don’t we at least owe him and the club the chance to prove it? (As an aside, I do believe the balance of this team needs a Hodges more than a De Vere, but that’s a symptom of a far wider problem).

I just think a lot of us are perhaps being too harsh on him so early. Just because we’ve seen players like Fifita and Haas come in and look like world beaters straight away, doesn’t mean every player will be a ready made star before they’ve played more than a handful of games.

I think we need to at least give him a chance to prove what he does, or doesn’t for that matter, have.

The last thing we should be doing is treating our players like the 90’s Australian cricket team where players were under so much pressure when they got their chance, knowing they’d be dropped after one bad game, that they often crumbled and looked far worse than they actually were.

Anyway, just my two cents.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I don’t understand all the hate for Shibasaki.

Granted, he didn’t look good on the wing, but I’ve thought he’s been solid at centre, takes strong carries and plays with ticker and determination. I also don’t think he’s the biggest problem we have but seems to be the next in line whipping boy behind Boyd and McCullough (who, at 10 year plus veterans, deserve all the criticism they’re getting).

Sure, he’s bombed some tries and shown some bad cases of the dropsies, but I honestly think that’s probably par for the course at present. He’s probably trying too hard and putting too much pressure on himself. But I know I’d also rather that than what Roberts was dishing up.

Is he going to be the reincarnation of Justin Hodges? Probably not. But he could be the modern version of Mick De Vere too. Don’t we at least owe him and the club the chance to prove it? (As an aside, I do believe the balance of this team needs a Hodges more than a De Vere, but that’s a symptom of a far wider problem).

I just think a lot of us are perhaps being too harsh on him so early. Just because we’ve seen players like Fifita and Haas come in and look like world beaters straight away, doesn’t mean every player will be a ready made star before they’ve played more than a handful of games.

I think we need to at least give him a chance to prove what he does, or doesn’t for that matter, have.

The last thing we should be doing is treating our players like the 90’s Australian cricket team where players were under so much pressure when they got their chance, knowing they’d be dropped after one bad game, that they often crumbled and looked far worse than they actually were.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Shiba is far from our biggest issue at the moment. Plenty of teams have had success with a very average centre.

Shiba is far from our biggest issue at the moment. Plenty of teams have had success with a very average centre.

Kane linnet from cowboys a premiership winner. So Shiba has a shot at proving himself in the next few rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Porthoz
  • TimWhatley
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.