vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might not be a popular opinion, but I don’t understand all the hate for Shibasaki.

Granted, he didn’t look good on the wing, but I’ve thought he’s been solid at centre, takes strong carries and plays with ticker and determination. I also don’t think he’s the biggest problem we have but seems to be the next in line whipping boy behind Boyd and McCullough (who, at 10 year plus veterans, deserve all the criticism they’re getting).

Sure, he’s bombed some tries and shown some bad cases of the dropsies, but I honestly think that’s probably par for the course at present. He’s probably trying too hard and putting too much pressure on himself. But I know I’d also rather that than what Roberts was dishing up.

Is he going to be the reincarnation of Justin Hodges? Probably not. But he could be the modern version of Mick De Vere too. Don’t we at least owe him and the club the chance to prove it? (As an aside, I do believe the balance of this team needs a Hodges more than a De Vere, but that’s a symptom of a far wider problem).

I just think a lot of us are perhaps being too harsh on him so early. Just because we’ve seen players like Fifita and Haas come in and look like world beaters straight away, doesn’t mean every player will be a ready made star before they’ve played more than a handful of games.

I think we need to at least give him a chance to prove what he does, or doesn’t for that matter, have.

The last thing we should be doing is treating our players like the 90’s Australian cricket team where players were under so much pressure when they got their chance, knowing they’d be dropped after one bad game, that they often crumbled and looked far worse than they actually were.

Anyway, just my two cents.
I'm with you. He may not have scored a try yet, but he has already saved a couple. I fact the tackle he made on Keary in the Rorters game probably cemented the win for us that night.

A couple of regular posters have written that they have followed his progress in the lower grades and are a bit bemused that he has yet to kick on in first grade.

So I'm happy to be patient with him. You also have to consider who is mentoring him in first grade too. I'm not sure Mr Bean at FB is setting the best example in terms of how to compete, but it's all he's got to refer to at present - poor bastard.

This might not be a popular opinion, but I don’t understand all the hate for Shibasaki.

Granted, he didn’t look good on the wing, but I’ve thought he’s been solid at centre, takes strong carries and plays with ticker and determination. I also don’t think he’s the biggest problem we have but seems to be the next in line whipping boy behind Boyd and McCullough (who, at 10 year plus veterans, deserve all the criticism they’re getting).

Sure, he’s bombed some tries and shown some bad cases of the dropsies, but I honestly think that’s probably par for the course at present. He’s probably trying too hard and putting too much pressure on himself. But I know I’d also rather that than what Roberts was dishing up.

Is he going to be the reincarnation of Justin Hodges? Probably not. But he could be the modern version of Mick De Vere too. Don’t we at least owe him and the club the chance to prove it? (As an aside, I do believe the balance of this team needs a Hodges more than a De Vere, but that’s a symptom of a far wider problem).

I just think a lot of us are perhaps being too harsh on him so early. Just because we’ve seen players like Fifita and Haas come in and look like world beaters straight away, doesn’t mean every player will be a ready made star before they’ve played more than a handful of games.

I think we need to at least give him a chance to prove what he does, or doesn’t for that matter, have.

The last thing we should be doing is treating our players like the 90’s Australian cricket team where players were under so much pressure when they got their chance, knowing they’d be dropped after one bad game, that they often crumbled and looked far worse than they actually were.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Exactly mate ! Even haas and Fifita have dropped form , through no fault of their own they're just really young. Center isn't an easy position to play, especially when you're expected to pull a rabbit out of your hat in a clunky team like this. It's impossible for the young guys to come in and look great with what's happening atm

Source: Broncos.com
Big Occasion Won't Overawe Farnworth
Thu 4 Jul 2019, 05:05 AM
YOU’LL be hard-pressed to find anyone prouder in the stands at PointsBet Stadium on Sunday than Brian Foley.

Brian’s nephew Herbie Farnworth will make his NRL debut for the Brisbane Broncos against the Cronulla Sharks.

A former Wigan Warriors development manager, Foley is regularly spotted around the Broncos' training facility at Red Hill and at Norths Devils’ home at Bishop Park.

Herbie Farnworth. Photo: NRL Images
Herbie Farnworth. Photo: NRL Images
He’s a huge supporter of Farnworth and loves his rugby league.

Foley has played a huge part in Farnworth’s development, but credited a creative imagination and six poles on a village green in northern England as the foundations for the 19-year-old’s rise to the NRL.

Herbie grew up in Blacko, in the north of England, surrounded by football, but loved rugby league like his uncle.

“The story began, really, that it was only him and I training on a village green with six poles,” Foley said.

“They were imaginary players and obstacles, and that’s why he’s clever with the footwork.

“That’s where the story began – in isolation, with six poles on a village green.”

Aged 14, Farnworth and Foley contacted some friends at Burleigh Bears and headed out to the Gold Coast. It was there the Broncos spotted him.

It’s not hard to see why – Farnworth is a superb athlete. He’s lightning quick, moves well and also recorded the best score at the Broncos in their pre season 1.2km endurance test.

He can transition comfortably between wing and centre and knows his role in the team.

He’s has been excellent since making his debut in the Intrust Super Cup for the Devils last year.

I knew then he was something special.

Herbie Farnworth in action for Norths Devils. Photo: QRL Media
Herbie Farnworth in action for Norths Devils. Photo: QRL Media
It hasn’t all been smooth sailing for him.

In his Cup debut in Round 1 last year Farnworth hurt his wrist. A sign that he’s tough enough to play in the NRL, he strapped it up and continued to play on with the pain. Scans later revealed he’d fractured it.

He returned to the field in Round 8 against Easts Tigers, but fractured it again and faced another nine weeks on the sidelines.

In his next appearance, in Round 18 against CQ Capras, he showed me he was destined for the NRL. He carried the ball strongly and scored a couple tries, including a 60-metre solo effort to help the Devils to a 42-12 win over the Capras.

He’s been great since his then and has taken his game to a new level in 2019.

I’m looking forward to seeing him in Broncos colours on Sunday as he thoroughly deserves it.
Ten year ago, I made my NRL debut with the Broncos, fittingly, against the Sharks at Shark Park.

Much like Herbie, it was during the 2009 State of Origin series and the Broncos had a number of players in Origin camp.

Current Queensland Origin hooker Ben Hunt and Gold Coast Titans centre Dale Copley also made their NRL debuts for the Broncos that night.

I remember how excited I was when then coach Ivan Henjak told me the news.

I started on the bench and we were down by a reasonable margin at half time.

I remember thinking I just wanted to get out there.

Henjak took me aside at half time and told me I’d be on 10 minutes into the second half.

When I got out there I just tried to tackle everything and be in everything – much like many players do in first match in the top grade.

I was blown away by the pace.

Farnworth will be out there from the match kick-off and, on the back of some wise words from Foley, I’m sure he will be a lot cooler than I was.

Herbie Farnworth in action for the Broncos' U20 team in 2017. Photo: NRL Images
Herbie Farnworth in action for the Broncos' U20 team in 2017. Photo: NRL Images
He’s a confident young man and I have no doubts he’ll fit right in.

He’ll be focused on the small things, which make a big difference.

I’m sure he’ll follow in the footsteps of Hunt and Copley and play many more matches in the NRL.

It’s a big occasion, but he won’t be overawed.

“We just take each day,” Foley said.

“Herbie will just take it all in his stride.

“He begins a new chapter. Like going to Norths, it’s just a new chapter for him.”

God I hope he kills it, I love that name!

Reactions: Gaz
There is talk that Turpin will be playing 7 so I hope that means Seggy will be at 14 atleast.

There is talk that Turpin will be playing 7 so I hope that means Seggy will be at 14 atleast.

Turpin is already in the halves and Segeyaro is already named in the 14...

Keenan Palasia will debut this weekend, Shaun Fensom drops off the bench.

Kane linnet from cowboys a premiership winner. So Shiba has a shot at proving himself in the next few rounds.
Darius Boyd, dual premiership winner. Fucking anything is possible.

It could be that seibs cannot see us winning this game at all, even with a bit more experience, so is banking on the hope that playing their debuts brings an energy/enthusiasm the broncos have lacked.

It could be that seibs cannot see us winning this game at all, even with a bit more experience, so is banking on the hope that playing their debuts brings an energy/enthusiasm the broncos have lacked.
If we are within 30 i'd be surprised tbh.

Interesting decision.

In a game where we're seriously lacking experience, I would have thought Fensom would have been a no brainer.

A sensible person would think so..... seibs not so much.

Makes Fensom's signing all the more baffling, I didn't understand it at the time, but would have thought this would be a good game for him to be a part of. Mr 'Dally M Coach of the Year' seibold is clearly intent on just shitting the bed in new ways each week.

If Siebs is picking on form it would make sense to drop fensom for palasia. Althought I'm guessing a bit as I haven't seen their stats, just going by my mates opinion and he watches a lot of intrust. There's no use adding an experienced player if he's out of form. For example, Darius Boyd. Siebs wants to inject some youths hungry to prove their worth and see if the enthusiasm rubs off.

I think as much as there has been the odd game where effort is lacking I think it is the dumb football that is causing the all the problems. Stupid penalties on tackle 5, running over the sideline, errors on first tackle especially in opposition 20, piggyback penalties leading to tries, not getting the dropout away, poor 5th tackle organisation and setting up for field goal, Boyd's catch that he should have had a foot on the line and stupid offloads. These have all been present even in games where Broncos have won. It is the opposite of what Melbourne do. I think the talent is there they just play like schoolboys with a lack of discipline or attention to detail. This has been going on well before Siebold arrived and it isn't because of how many young players we have. It seems to be entrenched in the culture.

Last edited:
2019 can **** off out the door whenever it damn well feels ready
Yep, it's just been a rabble all right. Bad luck at the worst possible time all year long. And because we are so depleted we (seemly) have no other option than to continue to play Boyd and Macca. It's a horror show lol.

Edit: Go Broncs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• bazza
  • Cavalo
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Justwin
  • Broncosgirl
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • heartly87
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Skyblues87
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Aldo
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.