Round 17 - Broncos vs Sharks - Post Match Discussion

And considering Whitchurch was on first grade debut, probably had not worked that move at training all that often, and IIRC was playing wing at the time, it'd be very unnatural to think he should cut in.

Yeah, I haven't looked at a replay yet but at the time I thought it was Copley (right centre). The thing is the move pretty much stays the same the only thing that changes is the way the D reacts which is what the halfback needs to read.

Yeah, I haven't looked at a replay yet but at the time I thought it was Copley (right centre). The thing is the move pretty much stays the same the only thing that changes is the way the D reacts which is what the halfback needs to read.

Exactly. The pass wasn't on, and it was just another example on the night of Wallace not reading the play and taking the wrong option. He'd be the first to admit it was one of his worst games ever. And yes it's a shame because he's been bloody good this year.

Got to ask, what was Macca doing on that intercept play? He's practically standing behind McGuire, running into the exact same gap, why wasn't he in position for a pass from Wallace or short pass from McGuire?

Shame about that set. Norman involved himself in every play and his pass before the line was money. Shame Cronulla ended up claiming it.

On a related note, how do you link Smart Replay vids?

Last edited:
Also does anyone else think Lui is a bit of a dud? I hope someone like Wallace will replace him in the pecking order.

Did anyone else see him have a massive spew after Pomeroy scored?

I think the Sharks played a very high intensity game in the forwards for the first 20 minutes and our reserve graders and u20s were completely unprepared for the NRL pace of the game.

I was very proud of the boys and disgusted with the Sharks tactics. Wade Graham thinking he's a boss forward when he's smashing our young forwards on debut. Same goes for Smith. What a thug, who throws elbows like that.

Especially proud that we rebound from the first 20 to have them on the ropes. If Wallace's pass sticks and the intercept is not taken, I think we come home with a wet sail. Cronulla's body language was "we're not expected to win here, we're away from home and without Gallen/Carney". We could have taken it. Would have been a great win.

Disappointingly, Wallace and Norman's kicking game (i.e. ball going dead) when the opportunity to put pressure on which was really crap. A few times there we just let them right off the hook.

Maranta is a good'n. Whitchurch is a massive lump of a boy. He is going to be phyiscally huge, he still had a bit of growing to do I think.

McCullough doing hit ups from penalty taps-brilliant.

McCullough's hit ups all night were classics! lol! He looked like he was enjoying it too.

No doubt that the pass wasn't on from Wallace, just too hungry for points and just when the game was settled and going heavily in Broncos favour...

Macca is so agressive out there, reckon he'd be happy to play prop as long as he can get physical.

Nah not at all, I'm Wallace's biggest fan ever (Alec to confirm) and I'll even admit he should have just taken the tackle, the length of the pass and the amount of Sharks defense there... Just wasn't on.

I will say though it wasnt the best move on Whitchurch's behalf, he probably should've been angling infield but it was his first game. Got to blame it on Wallace there.

Also didn't like how he chose to pass it to Macca after that massive break he went through, was like he was trying the miracle play when he should've just tried to beat the fb.

They were both the most annoying of all his errors Friday night.

Can't believe someone would infer that the intercept wasn't Wallace's fault

and even with the line break, why not just take the tackle there. Even blind freddy could see the pass was never going to make McC in a million years. I don't think it was the last tackle

a quick play the ball and we're on their line, instead we lose possession and the momentum.

I was really proud of the effort on Friday night. It was half a Qld Cup side and the Sharks forward pack is huge. It wasn't surprising to see them steamroll us early but I was really proud of how we responded from the 30th minute onward. We were good enough to steal it but our attack was off the boil. That's to be expected when you consider the quantity and quality of the players we were missing.

Not concerned about the result at all. Our best wipes the floor with their best (my Sharks mate sitting with me on Friday night said the same thing). Should we meet them in the finals we'd have nothing to fear.

Good thing we've got the bye. The Warriors in two weeks time will be a toughie.

Smith and Graham both charged but will not miss game time with early pleas

This. Beale at FB offers more to the team than Hoffman.

Did Reed really break his fibula? God our outside backs are wearing thin now. Not good for our premiership hopes.

We had premiership hopes?

Active Now

• levikaden
  • Old Mate
  • teampjta
  • Bucking Beads
  • sooticus
  • Behind enemy lines
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.