Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Agree 100%, however, unless I have it wrong, doesn't Kearney Koaching ignore line speed - there's a whole thread about it?

Bennett at the very least would know that different circumstances require different strategies.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Bennett at the very least would know that different circumstances require different strategies.

I only thought there was one strategy from what I read in the "Defence" thread. I should re-read it.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
With the injury to McGuire in mind and after watching the Cow Sharks game I'm wondering if losing an experienced forward in Hannant was a good thing. Now before anyone says Hannant is no good I will defend his efforts for the Cows. He was good tonight and has been going real well for a bench front rower in the recent months. From feedback from a few mates up north they say he has been a great addition and keeps the roll on plus his defence and tidy up work has been excellent. He certainly would have been handy if he was still around.

Behold

Behold

BRL Player
Jun 13, 2012
With the injury to McGuire in mind and after watching the Cow Sharks game I'm wondering if losing an experienced forward in Hannant was a good thing. Now before anyone says Hannant is no good I will defend his efforts for the Cows. He was good tonight and has been going real well for a bench front rower in the recent months. From feedback from a few mates up north they say he has been a great addition and keeps the roll on plus his defence and tidy up work has been excellent. He certainly would have been handy if he was still around.

No I don't think holding on to Hannant because of his experience would have been a good thing. We have so much experience in our pack that another experienced forward would be detrimental to the future of the club. Parker (311), McCullough (160), Blair (205), Thaiday (207), Gillett (120), Glenn (157), McGuire (126) relative to the rest of the pack McGuire is inexperienced. Dodds has played 65 games and Wallace 35 it is their time to step up. There is enough old heads around.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I was disappointed to lose Hannant. I think he could have still offered us some value off the bench.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Agreed.....I was glad to be rid of him.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Don't rate hannet at all. Everytime they are under pressure comming out from their line he knocks on.
Every time ?

Behold: I think you've missed my point. What has the experience of McCullough,Glenn and Gillett got to do with my point ? It's a frontrower we lost in McGuire, not a second rower or hooker. My point was not so much about Hannants experience but rather his job in replacing the starting frontrower. After all, in Townsville he is replacing the current test forward and as evidenced by his club winning 11 straight, he must be considered a contributor in that. Contrast with us and we have very little in the front row and especially short on experienced front rowers......we have one, Blair.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Hannant has been doing well off the bench for the Cowboys. But his performances when starting were not as good.

I wouldn't mind having him on the bench over Wallace.

As for the errors, he has only made 6 this season. That's not bad.

Last edited:
noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
I have a feeling Boyd and Gillett might be rested. Wayne said Boyd went off with a groin injury at the back end of that game. He said it was just a fatigue thing and he will be right for Origin. Also he has played 3 games in a nine day period, so has Gillett. It will depend how they pull up I guess.

cant imagine boyd being rested unless its due to injury. he hasnt had that much footy yet this year and is getting better with every game at the moment.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Irrespective of how one feels about Hannant it's hard to argue against the notion that we would be better having Hannant doing the same role for the Broncos as he does for the Cows. We were skinny in the frontrow before McGuires injury, we are in an even worse position now. So who starts ? Parker or Thaiday ? I hope one of our inexperienced players steps up but heading into the big games at seasons end that is hardly ideal. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I wish Hannant was still here to perform in a similar role as he does for NQ.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
i wouldnt mind seeing wallace start and bring thaiday on from the bench so we dont lose so much when the starting blokes get a rest.

though the games wallace did start this year he hasnt been all that great if i recall correctly.

blair had 16 carries for 140 metres on friday which has to be a season high for him, hopefully he can maintain that kind of workrate. we're going to need it.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Irrespective of how one feels about Hannant it's hard to argue against the notion that we would be better having Hannant doing the same role for the Broncos as he does for the Cows.

Not necessarily, especially when you consider that Hannant was reportedly on $350 000. Is a bench forward really worth that type of change? Not unless they're something special like James Graham and Hannant hasn't been close to that level for six years.

As far as I'm concerned there's no point having this conversation because it's done. Would having Ben Hannant help? Sure. Would having Gavet available help? Would we have been better off keeping Mitch Garbutt? Course but that ship has sailed.

badyon

badyon

QCup Player
Feb 8, 2014
With McGuire out, you need Vidot and Oates in the team to make up metres, and one needs to start. Maranta probably needs to give way. Parcell to stay. Thaiday and Parker to help out Blair and Wallace even more than they already do. Thankfully Dodds is back. One advantage of McGuire being out is that we are more likely to have 4th tackle plays inside opp. red zone leading to second phase - particularly if Parker and Thaiday take the role of centering 4th tackle hit outs here. McGuire, for all his good points, was the Paul Gallen of the broncs for his ability to present no real threat/2nd phase on 4th tackle in the red zone.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Not necessarily, especially when you consider that Hannant was reportedly on $350 000. Is a bench forward really worth that type of change? Not unless they're something special like James Graham and Hannant hasn't been close to that level for six years.

As far as I'm concerned there's no point having this conversation because it's done. Would having Ben Hannant help? Sure. Would having Gavet available help? Would we have been better off keeping Mitch Garbutt? Course but that ship has sailed.
Yeah, No real argument from me on that. I was just musing that sometimes what looks like a clever move turns out to be shortsighted. Personally, I wouldn't have let Hannant go and I wrote that at the time. Since WB left I've always felt that the Broncos didn't value the front row position enough but we have to go with what we've got. God help us if we pick up another injury or worse, two. I thought it was not enough with McGuire , I'm even more worried about our go forward. Time for Dodds and Wallace to shine.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

The money that would have been needed to keep him around to play a role on the bench or through ISC for an injury that may have happened wouldn't have balanced out.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
The money that would have been needed to keep him around to play a role on the bench or through ISC for an injury that may have happened wouldn't have balanced out.

This. So much this.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Strop
  • Manifesto
  • Justwin
  • Jazza
  • Old Mate
  • Jedhead
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Santa
  • Browny
  • Foordy
  • Johnny92
  • Stix
  • Swordfish
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Brocko
  • lakers133334
  • Harry Sack
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.