Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
The money that would have been needed to keep him around to play a role on the bench or through ISC for an injury that may have happened wouldn't have balanced out.
Mmmmm.....perhaps the money you speak of may have been better spent on retaining him instead of Garbutt. We probably spent 150 k on Garbutt and saved 350 k by releasing Hannant. Had we not signed Garbutt and retained Hannant we in effect got a state of origin forward for 200 k. I have no wish to argue with you 1910 but surely you didn't believe at the start of the season that we were not 'light on' in the front row department even with Gavet and Garbutt. Neither one of which was a big name in the front row. Anyhow, as bp said, it's academic... I just wished we kept him and I reckon it's because I rated his whole performance a little higher than others.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
When we stuck it to the Roosters with a terrific defensive performance, we had, from memory, Dodds and Wallace on the bench, Oates on the wing and Thaiday did a great job at prop.

For mine, we start with Thaiday and Blair up front, Dodds, Wallace Oates and Parcell on the bench and Kahu and Maranta on the wings.

If Thaiday needs a rest after Origin, he's on the bench with Dodds and Blair starting props.

I'd rather Kahu on the wing to Vidot. For a start, he's much more versatile.

If Hodges is rested/injured, then Vidot comes in and Kahu to centre.

Hope Thaiday gets through Origin ok. If he's out, who then?

Last edited:
Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
With mcguire's injury I think Vidot may be in the side for the rest of the season just for momentum

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
I feel like I'm in mourning after a massive loss this weekend.

B

big k

QCup Player
Apr 10, 2013
If we kept Hannant and then lost Molo, Oates or Joe O as a result the same people on here saying we should have kept Hannant would be going off like pork chops even now. It's a dammed if you do dammed if you don't with some people. End of the day Hannant is gone, no what if, but's or maybes, he is gone, no point crying over it now. I personally think letting him leave was our best option.

We have the players to cover McGuire. Yes we are better when McGuire is playing, but have you noticed how when McGuire has a quiet game we still win, when Milford has a quiet game we still win, when Hunt has a quiet game we still win, when Parker has a quiet game we still win...I could go on with player names but I'd be here all day. The point I am trying to make is Bennett is a very smart coach. He has built the team up to the point where if a couple of players aren't playing well or are missing, someone else steps up. It's a team that does not rely on ONE single player to win or stay consistent. Cowboys over the weekend were ordinary minus ONE player, only one. It's the Cowboys biggest weakness, take Thurston out of the game ( easier said than done I know ) and the Cowboys struggle. We don't have that problem in ANY position.

My side for the Bulldogs match would be

1 - Boyd
2 - Vidot
3 - Reed
4 - Hodges
5 - Kahu
6 - Milford
7 - Hunt
8 - Thaiday
9 - McCullough
10 - Blair
11 - Glenn
12 - Gillett
13 - Parker

14 - Parcell ( when is Nikorima back? )
15 - Wallace
16 - Dodds
17 - Oates

I would not be surprised to see Dodds or Wallace start with Thaiday or Blair coming off the bench for impact. If we lose Hodges after origin 3, Kahu to centre with Maranta on the wing.

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
If we kept Hannant and then lost Molo, Oates or Joe O as a result the same people on here saying we should have kept Hannant would be going off like pork chops even now. It's a dammed if you do dammed if you don't with some people. End of the day Hannant is gone, no what if, but's or maybes, he is gone, no point crying over it now. I personally think letting him leave was our best option.

We have the players to cover McGuire. Yes we are better when McGuire is playing, but have you noticed how when McGuire has a quiet game we still win, when Milford has a quiet game we still win, when Hunt has a quiet game we still win, when Parker has a quiet game we still win...I could go on with player names but I'd be here all day. The point I am trying to make is Bennett is a very smart coach. He has built the team up to the point where if a couple of players aren't playing well or are missing, someone else steps up. It's a team that does not rely on ONE single player to win or stay consistent. Cowboys over the weekend were ordinary minus ONE player, only one. It's the Cowboys biggest weakness, take Thurston out of the game ( easier said than done I know ) and the Cowboys struggle. We don't have that problem in ANY position.

My side for the Bulldogs match would be

1 - Boyd
2 - Vidot
3 - Reed
4 - Hodges
5 - Kahu
6 - Milford
7 - Hunt
8 - Thaiday
9 - McCullough
10 - Blair
11 - Glenn
12 - Gillett
13 - Parker

14 - Parcell ( when is Nikorima back? )
15 - Wallace
16 - Dodds
17 - Oates

I would not be surprised to see Dodds or Wallace start with Thaiday or Blair coming off the bench for impact. If we lose Hodges after origin 3, Kahu to centre with Maranta on the wing.
So, if we lose Hunt, no problem, if we lose Milford ,no problem.....mmmm. Not sure if I agree with that ! We may not be a one player squad but we are short without McGuire. God help us if we lose another experienced forward. That may be all it takes to turn us into also rans...

B

big k

QCup Player
Apr 10, 2013
So, if we lose Hunt, no problem, if we lose Milford ,no problem.....mmmm. Not sure if I agree with that ! We may not be a one player squad but we are short without McGuire. God help us if we lose another experienced forward. That may be all it takes to turn us into also rans...

If we lose both Hunt and Milford at the same time, sure we will struggle, but I'm not talking about losing our halves pairing at the same time. I think you read a little to much into it there.

I think it would take more than us losing another experienced forward for us to become also rans. Depth in all sides gets tested, if losing a prop and a guy that would have been fighting for a bench spot means we are one more forward going down away from being also rans, we were always also rans.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
I think Bennett will have Blair primed to step up and fill the void left by McGuire. Thaiday will need to lead from the front aswell.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I regard the Dogs as genuine premiership contenders who are coming good at the right time, just like us.

I am far less concerned about the (enormous) gap in our arsenal left by Moose's injury than containing Pritchard and Kasiano out wide - both their size and strength, and their offloads in our red zone.

The middle 3rd is the least of my worries unless we stand and wait in defence for their very big men, giving them free metres, free field position and setting up camp in our third.

Defending the Dogs forwards and backs on our line will be a totally different story to what we did so brilliantly v Storm.

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
The Dogs are currently in a position where they need to start stringing some wins together so I am expecting all their Origin stars to backup. It'll be interesting to see how we manage a big pack minus McGuire as we weren't too flash last time he was missing (vs Cowboys).

Not confident on this one but I'm sure it'll be a close game regardless.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
This is slated for Graham's return.

I would not want to be in the opposition forward pack when this happens.

He was so fired up and ripe to tear the Dragons pack a new a-hole before he got injured 20 minutes in.

If he does return happens, without McGuire and if Parker is rested, Klemmer will get his "biggest kid in the playground" back up, Blair will go missing, our young pups might not know how to take their aggression to that level..

We'll need another Thaiday v JWH bitch slapping to keep them in check.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
hmmm, this is a danger game for mine. think we'll lose this one as our lads come to grips with replacing mcguires impact/workload.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
hmmm, this is a danger game for mine. think we'll lose this one as our lads come to grips with replacing mcguires impact/workload.

My worry remains out wide. If our wingers come in off their opposite, we are cactus, and that is exactly what Pritchard and Kasiano try to force when they play on the edges.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
losing reed made our edges look at bit more porous than they usually are, so I think while they've got some quality out wide, we should be able to match it there.

it's the forward matchup that concerns me. this might be a game where someone like Parcell or Milford really shines, getting out of DH quickly and catching the markers out.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
If we can get under the skin of Reynolds, we will get some easy field position.

I hope Hodges does that if he plays.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
losing reed made our edges look at bit more porous than they usually are, so I think while they've got some quality out wide, we should be able to match it there.

it's the forward matchup that concerns me. this might be a game where someone like Parcell or Milford really shines, getting out of DH quickly and catching the markers out.

Well it will be fascinating to watch tonight how the Dogs defend against the Storm in their third, and the Storm handle the Dogs' big boys up the middle.

As for "getting out of DH quickly and catching the markers out" and your comment about Parcell/Milford, I am sure the Dogs will be thinking exactly the same with Mbye who I reckon is possibly one of the 3 quickest players in the game.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
If we lose both Hunt and Milford at the same time, sure we will struggle, but I'm not talking about losing our halves pairing at the same time. I think you read a little to much into it there.

I think it would take more than us losing another experienced forward for us to become also rans. Depth in all sides gets tested, if losing a prop and a guy that would have been fighting for a bench spot means we are one more forward going down away from being also rans, we were always also rans.
Errr....not really sure what makes you think I was intending that both are lost at the same time ! I wrote 'lose Hunt ,no problem , lose Milford, no problem' not lose Hunt and Milford, no problem !! We've already lost a first choice prop and if we lose Parker for example, then we will struggle. No mention of a guy struggling for a bench spot there, as I said, if we lose another experienced forward. Even the loss of Gillette or Glenn would be felt keenly.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Froosh
  • Canga
  • sooticus
  • Brocko
  • Dash
  • davidp
  • jd87
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • RolledOates
  • marw
  • PeterBarne
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.