Round 18 Discussion

Kikau charged with a Grade 1 Shoulder Charge.

Which goes back to my original point. Had Kikau hit Nicholls with an ordinary tackle, nobody would have batted an eye-lid. However since he got him without possession, it was always going to carry a bigger penalty.

It will be interesting to see Kikau face the charge. For mine, that's a shoulder charge every day of the week but the rule has been so weak that players have been argue around it.

You see that same tackle 80 times a game (slight exaggeration) and nothing is ever done about it. Kikau’s wasn’t even late. I mean sure, you slow everything down enough and you can find a freeze frame for whatever you are looking for at some point.

The fact it was penalized is a joke. The fact it was sin binned is ludicrous. The fact he has been charged is purely to try and at least look professional in the eyes of some. I’d be absolutely livid if that was a player on my team.

You see that same tackle 80 times a game (slight exaggeration) and nothing is ever done about it.

You see players tackled off the ball, but they don't hit them as recklessly as Kikau or Fifita did. Had Kikau just gone in for a standard tackle, it would have been fine. However, he tried to lay on a big hit, got it wrong and paid the price.

Kikau’s wasn’t even late.

As long as the player doesn't have possession, it's late. The officials will provide leeway based on the amount of harm inflicted on the passer, in this case Kikau collected Nicholls with a shoulder charge.

The fact it was penalized is a joke. The fact it was sin binned is ludicrous.

We don't want another 2018 Grand Final story. The game is hard enough without boofheads trying to injure playmakers and rob the fans of a fair contest. We also don't want a repeat of the Ackerman incident and any tackle that resembles a shoulder charge has to be punished.

You see players tackled off the ball, but they don't hit them as recklessly as Kikau or Fifita did. Had Kikau just gone in for a standard tackle, it would have been fine. However, he tried to lay on a big hit, got it wrong and paid the price.

As long as the player doesn't have possession, it's late. The officials will provide leeway based on the amount of harm inflicted on the passer, in this case Kikau collected Nicholls with a shoulder charge.

We don't want another 2018 Grand Final story. The game is hard enough without boofheads trying to injure playmakers and rob the fans of a fair contest. We also don't want a repeat of the Ackerman incident and any tackle that resembles a shoulder charge has to be punished.

I really, really, really don't feel comfortable with you or the NRL labelling the Fifita and Kikau tackles as the same thing, it's an absolute joke that they're both going to miss the same amount of time. Fifita's was 5 times later, made zero attempt to wrap either arm and was done with far more malice and intent to injure the opposition player.

If Kikau gets 1 week for his, Fifita deserves 3-4 weeks for his.

I wouldn't have an issue with Fifita facing a higher penalty. My point was that you see players tackled off the ball all the time and they don't receive the penalty because it wasn't met with that kind of force.

How can Fifitas tackle be late when he never had the ball? It’s a cheap shot

It just falls under the late hit umbrella which is tackling a player off the ball.

Yeah that's my other problem with it, the NRL labels it the same as hitting a player 0.16 seconds after they release the ball. How can that possible be the same charge if you hit a decoy runner nowhere near the ball and not even remotely expecting to cop a hit? The whole system needs an overhaul.
[automerge]1563596712[/automerge]
Joey Manu has been dropped by the Chooks today.

Last edited:
How f
We don't want another 2018 Grand Final story. The game is hard enough without boofheads trying to injure playmakers and rob the fans of a fair contest.
They aren't trying to injure them though, they are letting them know if they want to bring the ball to the line they will be tackled. Same as any other player on the field. Plus it's the kind of thing the judiciary is going to "crackdown" on depending on who the players are. You really think if Cam Smith were to lay one on Dearden he's sitting down for a few weeks?

Last time I was cheering for the Knights, this time I'll be....cheering for the Poosters. Yuck!

How f

They aren't trying to injure them though, they are letting them know if they want to bring the ball to the line they will be tackled. Same as any other player on the field. Plus it's the kind of thing the judiciary is going to "crackdown" on depending on who the players are. You really think if Cam Smith were to lay one on Dearden he's sitting down for a few weeks?

Where you've got it wrong is that they're not like any other player. Once they've released the football they're in a vulnerable position and defenders are taking advantage of that by hitting them as hard as they can.

The players are coached to do it to discourage the halves taking it to the line. It may not be done to explicitely injure them, but if they do happen to get injured it's a bonus. It isn't something you want to encourage, especially not when it can get really ugly like the Soliola hit on Slater a couple of years back.

The lesson here is don't put a shot on unless you're certain you'll make it in time. Also don't tuck your arm into your body like Kikau did.

Last edited:
Cordner is the most overrated player in the game. If he played for an average club he'd be your run of the mill, solid but nothing special second rower.

EDIT: He's a slightly worse version of Josh Jackson.

Last edited:
Where you've got it wrong is that they're not like any other player. Once they've released the football they're in a vulnerable position and defenders are taking advantage of that by hitting them as hard as they can.

The players are coached to do it to discourage the halves taking it to the line. It may not be done to explicitely injure them, but if they do happen to get injured it's a bonus. It isn't something you want to encourage, especially not when it can get really ugly like the Soliola hit on Slater a couple of years back.

The lesson here is don't put a shot on unless you're certain you'll make it in time. Also don't tuck your arm into your body like Kikau did.
I'm talking purely about the players being penalised for "late" hits. If it's a shoulder charge then fair enough but this protecting the superstar halves crap has reached ridiculous levels. If they want to take it to the line then they should be fair game.

Cordner is the most overrated player in the game. If he played for an average club he'd be your run of the mill, solid but nothing special second rower.

EDIT: He's a slightly worse version of Josh Jackson.

I rate Boyd and his ability to poke his nose through the line and win the play the ball. I don't think he's among the game's elite players and should be recognised as Australian Captain but he's certainly right up there as one of the best edge forwards in the game.

Outside of playing the same position, Jackson and Cordner are nothing alike. Josh is more about running angles, passing before the line and being a rugged defender. Cordner focus' on one element and that's punching holes down the fringe and he's arguably the best or at least the most well rounded player at doing so.

I'm talking purely about the players being penalised for "late" hits. If it's a shoulder charge then fair enough but this protecting the superstar halves crap has reached ridiculous levels. If they want to take it to the line then they should be fair game.

As the Welch on Fifita situation showed, it's being applied evenly. I don't think a cheap shot in the back is a necessary part of the game and if anything encouraging halves going to the line will actually make for a better spectacle.

As the Welch on Fifita situation showed, it's being applied evenly. I don't think a cheap shot in the back is a necessary part of the game and if anything encouraging halves going to the line will actually make for a better spectacle.
Until halves start scoring tries because the defence is gunshy about tackling them. Will have to disagree about this one, if they don't like being hit hard by blokes 3x their size then pass the ball bearlier. Pretty simple.

What's worse? More tries or star players getting injured because a player was too slow to get to a half and decided to put an unnecessary shot on?

What's worse? More tries or star players getting injured because a player was too slow to get to a half and decided to put an unnecessary shot on?
If it's late and unnecessary by all means throw the book at them. I don't consider anything less than about a second as being late.

Active Now

• Jeza23
  • Xzei
  • Skathen
  • barker
  • Broncosgirl
  • Lurker
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Horseheadsup
  • jd87
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • Johnny92
  • broncsgoat
  • broncos4life
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.