Round 18 Discussion

So old mate gets binned for a late hit that was a poof tenth after he passed it

I don't think they would have had an issue with it if Kikau didn't go in with the shoulder charge.

I'll be very curious to see what charge he gets for it. That was a lot worse than some of the others they've called.

For those of you who are watching channel 9 could Gus be any more biased in his commentary FMD

I'd hate to be the poor bloke handling Gould's towels everytime he wanks on about his favourite video ref.

I don't think they would have had an issue with it if Kikau didn't go in with the shoulder charge.

I'll be very curious to see what charge he gets for it. That was a lot worse than some of the others they've called.

What shoulder charge?

Seven wins in a row for Penrith and it's largely come off the back of some fresh faces. Players like To'o, Naden, Kenny and Martin have injected some vigor into the Penrith players and it's allowed their star players like Maloney and Cleary to come into the fore.

It says something about the players they've come in for. Watene-Zelezniak and Blake were quality players capable of impressive feats, but they were costing Penrith in the big moments. To'o and Naden just seem like guys who are happy to be playing NRL footy and they're doing whatever they can to help their team mates.

It speaks to the power of bad habits and the effect they have on quality players. There comes a stage in every player's career where they get comfortable and slowly but surely fall backwards. The elite players pick it up early enough, improve upon other aspects of their game to the point where most can't detect it but others just fall into a hole that they can seldom dig themselves out of. It's then up to the coach to assess whether he can address those issues in enough time, or if he's better off moving forward with other players. It's a testament to Penrith's junior development that they've got the players capable of replacing those backs and have even more coming through the grades. NSW U/20s Centre Stephen Crichton is firming and he would have to be right up there as one of the best outside backs not playing NRL.

Wind it back a couple of frames before and look at how he's got his left arm tucked in.

Last edited:
Sharks got what they deserved after gaining two illegal tries and the Dragons are living up to their old titles as “Chokers”. Couldn’t have made my Friday any better!

1:07 in.

He's officially binned for a late hit, but if Kikau didn't go in the way he did I doubt it gets picked up by the video referee.

Kikau won't get charged with a shoulder charge because he does get an arm involved, but the way he tucked his left arm is reminiscent of a shoulder charge.

Sharks got what they deserved after gaining two illegal tries and the Dragons are living up to their old titles as “Chokers”. Couldn’t have made my Friday any better!
Would have been better for the Broncs if the Dragons won 😝

1:07 in.

He's officially binned for a late hit, but if Kikau didn't go in the way he did I doubt it gets picked up by the video referee.

Kikau won't get charged with a shoulder charge because he does get an arm involved, but the way he tucked his left arm is reminiscent of a shoulder charge.

So he was sent for 10 in the bin for a late shot that wasn't late which was only looked at because it was reminiscent of a shoulder charge but wasn't actually a shoulder charge and made no contact with the head.

???????????

So, it's not late, it's not high and it's not a shoulder charge. Whoever made that decision needs to be fired on the spot.

So, it's not late, it's not high and it's not a shoulder charge.

Yeah it's a shoulder charge.

Left arm tucked in, makes forceful contact with the shoulder and even though he wraps his right arm around, you have to make an attempt to wrap both arms around. Interpretation was updated after the debacle around Billy Slater's shoulder charge last year.

So he was sent for 10 in the bin for a late shot that wasn't late which was only looked at because it was reminiscent of a shoulder charge but wasn't actually a shoulder charge and made no contact with the head.

???????????

So, it's not late, it's not high and it's not a shoulder charge. Whoever made that decision needs to be fired on the spot.

Kikau was sent to the bin because he hit a player without the football with a dangerous tackle. It technically may not be a shoulder charge, but for all intents and purposes it was just as dangerous as one.

It's certainly debatable but that FoxLeague photo is deceptive and seems to exist to drum up drama. They'll probably catch a few fans out as well.

Yeah it's a shoulder charge.

Left arm tucked in, makes forceful contact with the shoulder and even though he wraps his right arm around, you have to make an attempt to wrap both arms around. Interpretation was updated after the debacle around Billy Slater's shoulder charge last year.

Kikau was sent to the bin because he hit a player without the football with a dangerous tackle. It technically may not be a shoulder charge, but for all intents and purposes it was just as dangerous as one.

It's certainly debatable but that FoxLeague photo is deceptive and seems to exist to drum up drama. They'll probably catch a few fans out as well.

Assuming neither of you watched the Fox coverage, Hannah Hollis was on the sideline speaking to an NRL official, he confirmed Kikau was sin-binned for a late hit, not a shoulder charge, not a dangerous tackle. There was no shoulder charge, there was no dangerous tackle. He was binned for a late shot that was timed at 4/25th's of a second after the ball was released.

It's verging on criminal negligence in the bunker at the moment.

Assuming neither of you watched the Fox coverage, Hannah Hollis was on the sideline speaking to an NRL official, he confirmed Kikau was sin-binned for a late hit, not a shoulder charge, not a dangerous tackle. There was no shoulder charge, there was no dangerous tackle. He was binned for a late shot that was timed at 4/25th's of a second after the ball was released.

And one of the key indicators of a late hit is how dangerous it is. It falls under the umbrella and if Kikau had have made a genuine tackle and not looked for the big hit he would have been fine.

He probably was sin binned for just a late tackle but I'm responding to you saying it's not a shoulder charge when it is.

You have to wrap both arms around.

He probably was sin binned for just a late tackle but I'm responding to you saying it's not a shoulder charge when it is.

You have to wrap both arms around.

That's my entire point friendo, he was sin binned for a late tackle in which the contact occurred 0.16 seconds after the player released the ball. So the NRL official confirming it was purely for the lateness of the tackle means the bunker simply has no idea what they're doing.

Nothing wrong with that tackle at all. It shouldn't have been a penalty and I cannot believe he was binned for it. The ref should be demoted for that. You see that ind of tackle 80 times a game and it is absolutely fine.

The NRL has created this issue with the overzealous crackdown thanks to Cronk and his diving.

If the NRL had of come out and said it was a shoulder charge and that was the reason he got binned then maybe fair enough, but to not punish a shoulder charge in a try scoring situation is an obvious double standard.

For the ref to bag out Maloney when highlighting the double standard is unprofessional but it is the NRL.

Can’t wait to see the NRL move the goalposts again after this debacle.

The NRL has created this issue with the overzealous crackdown thanks to Cronk and his diving.

If the NRL had of come out and said it was a shoulder charge and that was the reason he got binned then maybe fair enough, but to not punish a shoulder charge in a try scoring situation is an obvious double standard.

For the ref to bag out Maloney when highlighting the double standard is unprofessional but it is the NRL.

Can’t wait to see the NRL move the goalposts again after this debacle.

Exactly. Deliberate knee to the head, penalty and we’re all good. Accidental knee while running, penalty and possible suspension. Excellent tackle, penalty and 10 in the bin and possible suspension.

Kikau charged with a Grade 1 Shoulder Charge.

Which goes back to my original point. Had Kikau hit Nicholls with an ordinary tackle, nobody would have batted an eye-lid. However since he got him without possession, it was always going to carry a bigger penalty.

It will be interesting to see Kikau face the charge. For mine, that's a shoulder charge every day of the week but the rule has been so weak that players have been argue around it.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Dash
  • kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.