Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

So, the original point being discussed was about the forwards and that clearly shows our forwards matched and bettered their opposites. Thanks for supporting my point.

Don't know why you think I was talking to you / trying to contradict whatever your argument was, but right on big fella!

I just saw there was a discussion about the forwards and metres and chimed in.

The thing that really stumps me is that it’s pretty much unanimous on what we’re doing wrong and yet the professional coaches/players can’t seem to change anything.

Now how in the blue **** is that possible?

Don't know why you think I was talking to you / trying to contradict whatever your argument was, but right on big fella!

I just saw there was a discussion about the forwards and metres and chimed in.
No, I didn't think you were trying to contradict me. It is difficult to convey nuance with the written word at times. You supported my contention.

Maybe it's partly because our defence sucked and their backs made huge metres slicing though, and the Tits gave their backs the ball at the end of good shapes rather than one outs and expecting miracles. So as you say, it's the fact their backs got a whole lot more ball with room to move than ours that really tells this story.

As for the metres we made, it was 300 less than theirs. As for post-contact metres, it's what we don't do with them that counts, and, I am equally interested in pre-contact metres as the better metric to predict momentum which we clearly lack big time, and also where we made those metres.

As I looked at this game, it was again our lack of momentum which compressed the space for our halves so they had no time or space to set our edge forwards, our outside plays, so no real shapes, no opportunities for our backs to run, to show their speed. You can't run when there's no room to run.

Metres running into brick walls counts for little
They made more metres, yes but also had more opportunity. We had 46% possession. Evened out to 50 50 the metres gained would also be near enough to 50 50. We made better post contact metres with LESS possession. That stat would have grown even wider so clearly our forwards were not the problem.

We have been steadily improving defensively since Seeplods departure and that's definitely enough for me given our current situation. Improvement when there's nothing to play for should satisfy ANY supporter. Wins and attack are something for 2021. I'll take defensive improvement and call it a win. The future is bright. Glass half full.

They made more metres, yes but also had more opportunity. We had 46% possession. Evened out to 50 50 the metres gained would also be near enough to 50 50. We made better post contact metres with LESS possession. That stat would have grown even wider so clearly our forwards were not the problem.

We have been steadily improving defensively since Seeplods departure and that's definitely enough for me given our current situation. Improvement when there's nothing to play for should satisfy ANY supporter. Wins and attack are something for 2021. I'll take defensive improvement and call it a win. The future is bright. Glass half full.
Thing is we were making our meters between our tryline and halfway and so were they. Between halfway and our tryline. If we make the most meters but in our half we’re not going anywhere and that is the reason we could’t beat them.

On Oates I feel like he has had those deficiencies with contested corner kicks for years. Really surprised he hasn't improved on that front with I'm sure us having targeted that since at least 2015. Fifita bashing surprises me a bit but to be expected. I do understand his smiling etc. would be aggravating too (annoys me). Thought Boyd was actually pretty solid. Fermor the first clean break to be stopped by him in a while *shaking my head*.

One thing I would note is our attack wasn't great but it is hard to tell whether your goal line defence has improved or not as our centres without Kelly are nothing to write home about.
Boyd just softly turned his back into every tackle, after slowly jogging it up. Hardly solid. Quite embarrassing actually.

Thing is we were making our meters between our tryline and halfway and so were they. Between halfway and our tryline. If we make the most meters but in our half we’re not going anywhere and that is the reason we could’t beat them.
I'll have to look at that heat map thing, I've always ignored it. I wonder what story it tells?

I don't think anyone will legitimately bag Boyd tonight, he was pretty good.
You must be joking? Was there not one kick return that he didn't just jog back, and softly turn his back to the defenders, instead of sprinting forward and garnering much needed meters? He was shockingly bad!

I'll have to look at that heat map thing, I've always ignored it. I wonder what story it tells?
Don't know heat maps but from what I recall, we were defending our tryline more often. One of the only times we were up close to theirs they run 95mtrs to score. We are struggling with the basics and one being to do your utmost to attack in your oppositions half. Dearden did his best to kick our way out but sadly our kick chase was found wanting.

You must be joking? Was there not one kick return that he didn't just jog back, and softly turn his back to the defenders, instead of sprinting forward and garnering much needed meters? He was shockingly bad!
Mmmmm, much needed metres?

Just consider this. The Raiders won 37 to 8. Their fullback made just 5 metres more than Boyd yet the Raiders scored 5 more tries and a total of 31 more points.

It's(Boyd's metres) not the factor that's important. Safely diffusing bombs, making last chance tackles and organising is most important. DBs team scored just 6 points, ironically 4 of them came from DB. The Raiders scored 37 yet their fullback contributed very few metres so it's hardly a factor, is it?

If we were being honest, despite his soft kick returns and a few bad defensive errors, Darius Boyd has been like a top 3 player for us since the NRL resumed. Obviously that’s not saying much because he hasn’t been great, but he’s been better and has made more of an impact and been involved in more point scoring opportunities than anyone else running around in a Broncos jersey. We would have been worse off without him this year and if things don’t change we will struggle even more next year.

True...and lets not forget the dragons game i think it was with a minute left and dragons kick long ..good ol darius at his finest with a slow jog and getting caught in goal...i honestly believe this muppet would have still played all year if half the squad weren't injured or suspended...the guy is a fucking sook...retired from rep footy cos kevvie wasn't gonna pick him...he was never a chance anyway!!! Spat the dummy when lost the broncs captaincy....he wouldnt even be the captain in his household!!! For all thats wrong with this club over the past few years ive no doubt boyd is playing a major role in the bullshit with the playing group....i must commend him for the lowlight videos tho

Mmmmm, much needed metres?

Just consider this. The Raiders won 37 to 8. Their fullback made just 5 metres more than Boyd yet the Raiders scored 5 more tries and a total of 31 more points.

It's(Boyd's metres) not the factor that's important. Safely diffusing bombs, making last chance tackles and organising is most important. DBs team scored just 6 points, ironically 4 of them came from DB. The Raiders scored 37 yet their fullback contributed very few metres so it's hardly a factor, is it?
Who cares about stats mate.....only one stat means anything and thats the competition ladder

Just look out how we fared against the all conquering Roosters, considering the stats don’t look that bad, the score line was 58-12
50-50 Possession
21-36 Missed tackles
13-11 Errors
80%-76% Set Completions

Even last night, and losing 18-6
55-45 Possession
20-23 Missed tackles
11-13 Errors
79%-74% Set Completions

Any other team with similar stats that we have compared to their rivals, would probably would have jagged a few wins already.
Sure our lads can run, tackle, hold the ball and do the basics just as well as their respective opposition but when it comes to the crux of winning games, they flounder. They simply cannot execute effectively when comes down to points scoring situations.

From the current 17, the only two consistent match winners who can make a break, run 50m and beat multiple defenders to the try line are Staggs and Fifita.
Far cry from when we had Roberts, Nikorima, Hunt, Milford, (Oates ver 2015-16).
Our young forwards are just bots out there too, running and making tackles just because they are 'forwards'. We lack smarts in the group, like we had in Blair, Thaiday, Parker. Making a quick hit up and PTB for the next play, running in tandem to create doubt in the opposition line, being aware of your supporting fullback for an offload. Pulling of decoys for set/trick plays.

So this should probably be an indication of the talent we have. We have become a team of solid supporting players, just like Boyd Glenn and A.Mac were for all of their careers & don't have enough match winners like we used too.

Last edited:

Yeah I agree, they are certainly looking like they are turning around a very dark corner. There is something to build on next year, they just really need to get rid of the deadwood and bring in something good with their cash. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anyone needed will be available until 2021 at the earliest. That said, the off season often throws up some unexpected free agents, let's hope the club gets it right.

Exactly this, we may still fall short but we're immeasurably better since Seibold fucked off.

Oates gifted them two trys, we dropped two trys over the line.

Last night's result could have easily been reversed, it's the best we've played since precovid.

Gentle can't turn the team around in a week, when a team sucks as badly as we did, you focus on the fundamentals then slowly branch out.

Considering our shocking injury list, we're not as far off being a competitive team again as some would think.
Staying positive like yourself mate. A good off-season and a clean slate under a new coach can do so much to improve a struggling side.

I think i would actually drop Carrigan for the rest of the year tbh. I think we have run him into the ground physically and mentally. For his own good he needs a break now. We have nothing to play for so i dont see the point flogging him anymore.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Fitzy
  • phoenix
  • Mr Fourex
  • Footy Fanatic
  • whykickamoocow
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • theshed
  • Evander
  • Wolfie
  • Bish
  • mitch222
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • HarryAllan7
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Sproj
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.