Jul 7, 2013
Season 4 Episode 21 GIF by The Simpsons

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I’m saying the stat doesn’t measure what you’re claiming it measures
Just for clarity, what exactly am I claiming it measures? Also, whatever you think is missing from the NRLs stats concerning Croft is also missing for all other players.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
What a weird statement. Tackling well doesn't mean you're defending well!!

My eyes must be painted on then. Okay, I'll bite, what does a good defender do?
Holds the line, moves up together with his teammates so they don't have to rush sideways to cover it

If you rush up, make the tackle. He missed them all.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
@Huge surely you remember the discussion we had about tackle efficiency being extremely unreliable, it was in relation to Haas, maybe 12-18 months ago.

Tackle efficiency doesn't mean a great deal, it's literally just tackles made divided by tackles attempted. In the example of Brodie Croft, he's attempted 194 tackles and made 174 of them (89.6%) It doesn't factor in ineffective tackles (tackles in which the attacker offloads), nor does it factor in situations where the player doesn't even get a hand on the opposition, like Croft on multiple occasions last weekend racing out of the line and being the sole reason for us conceding tries.

Plz respond @Huge

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Holds the line, moves up together with his teammates so they don't have to rush sideways to cover it

If you rush up, make the tackle. He missed them all.
Apparently not. Only missed one tackle. Made 18. Not my stats.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
No point responding to you. You're never wrong.

But I just explained in-depth what tackle efficiency is and why it's not a reliable tool to measure if one is a 'good defender' or not.

I know you hate admitting it.. but come on, you're wrong on this one old boy.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Plz respond @Huge
Oh **** it. It makes no fucking difference BECAUSE it's not measured for any player. This is the 'go to' for you guys. You point to some nebulous bullshit and say, see see , there it is. A halfback is generally small in stature and yes, big guys will get offloads awày, so fucking what? It doesn't mean Croft or any smallish player is a bad defender. In his position the most you can expect is he'll do his best to pull down his target and regardless of any other consideration, he does that better than most guys in his position.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
But I just explained in-depth what tackle efficiency is and why it's not a reliable tool to measure if one is a 'good defender' or not.

I know you hate admitting it.. but come on, you're wrong on this one old boy.
Okay then. Who IS the best defensive halback in the competition?

You're so sure Croft is a bad defender and that implies you know who or what is a good defender so, who are the top three?

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
What a weird statement. Tackling well doesn't mean you're defending well!!

My eyes must be painted on then. Okay, I'll bite, what does a good defender do?
I'll use xavier Coates as a example if he comes in off his wing and doesn't tackle anyone and leaves his wing wide open that's poor defence doesn't add as a stat but if he chases a bloke down and tackles him he made a tackle therefore it is a stat.
The efficiency only applies for when they are in the right position so yes croft is a good tackler going by stats but getting in the right spot is what makes him a poor defender.

DanG

DanG

NRL Player
May 10, 2019
i think both parties are somewhat correct, brodie is a good defensive half BUT take into consideration the players he has inside and outside him. last round glenn and herbie. when none of them talk its easy to be made look silly, which croft wore the brunt of it by just straight up missing the tackle with no attempt made which doesn't register on the tackle percentage stat. If that edge was talking and working together id be confident in his 1 on 1 tackling its pretty solid for a small guy.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I'll use xavier Coates as a example if he comes in off his wing and doesn't tackle anyone and leaves his wing wide open that's poor defence doesn't add as a stat but if he chases a bloke down and tackles him he made a tackle therefore it is a stat.
The efficiency only applies for when they are in the right position so yes croft is a good tackler going by stats but getting in the right spot is what makes him a poor defender.
Easy assertion but made without supporting evidence. If you know Croft is a poor defender then you must know who the good ( halfbacks only) defenders are. Top three please.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
i think both parties are somewhat correct, brodie is a good defensive half BUT take into consideration the players he has inside and outside him. last round glenn and herbie. when none of them talk its easy to be made look silly, which croft wore the brunt of it by just straight up missing the tackle with no attempt made which doesn't register on the tackle percentage stat. If that edge was talking and working together id be confident in his 1 on 1 tackling its pretty solid for a small guy.
Thank ****, someone with a brain. On here, scapegoats are required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• DMZ
  • Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • Wolfie
  • broncsgoat
  • Galah
  • BruiserMk1
  • Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • Brocko
  • Santa
  • The Strapper
  • bb_gun
  • mitch222
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.